Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys be honest with me here. How much of a risk are we running of a rollover? I saved up all the money to go for a 4inch lift on my jeep but my dad claims that this will only increase the chance of roll over. So what is the risk we are all really at of rolling over compared to a ford explorer or a truck?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Older jeeps with shorter wheelbases and axle widths coupled with leaf springs were what gave Wranglers a reputation of rolling over. The newer models such as the Tj's and Jk's have coil springs and a larger wheelbase to increase stability. Although the 4 inch lift will raise your vehicle's COG, it's still not a reason to shy away from a lift. Compared to a truck, you're going to be about equal. If you ask me, I'd rather be in a jeep than a truck in the event of a roll because trucks don't usually have roll cages in their cabs.

·
Registered
540 Posts
+1 on Robertsk1
depends on the driver, not the lift.
swerve quickly, drive like you don't know how, hit hills that are too steep..... sure, roll over no matter how high your jeep sits.
drive safe and like a pro.... no problems, no matter what size your Jeep is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Above post makes great points. When I was a teenager I rolled my dad 1953 M38a1. I was going about 35mph ran off the road came back on and rolled all the way over and back on the wheels. No roll bar in the old military jeeps. Somehow I only had minor injuries. I'm thinking back now at 43 years old that maybe old military jeeps are not great vehicles for new drivers.

My Lj is night and day different from that jeep. I think I would have to try real hard to roll it. Even if I did I have a roll bar and a seat belt. No seat belts on M38A1 either.

·
Administrator
30,780 Posts
Given the right circumstances, any vehicle is capable of rolling over.

IMAG0810.jpg

It's all a matter of knowing YOUR vehicle and it's capabilities. If I am going to end up on my roof, I'd rather do so in a Wrangler as opposed to just about anything else out there.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have run my 05 Tj with a 2.5" OME and 1 1/4" BL pretty hard on the road with and without the sway bar connected. The only time I felt like i was going over was on the trail when i was laying mostly on my passenger side HAHAHA.
Drive safe, know your abilities and enjoy. I'm a big fan of Low COG. So this is even lifted more than ideal for me. Metal cloaks and 36" next. No extra lift.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I log about 140,000 miles a year driving in the northeast US... Been doing it for 22 years, and have only seen 1 wrangler rolled over..... And I look for them.... Minivans top the list, followed by sedans of every make and model... Wranglers are immensely popular and I'd venture to say I see hundreds of them on a weekly basis.. Front wheel drive vehicles behave counterintuitively to our instincts, so, they are much more prone to roll over than rear wheel drive vehicles.. Not my opinion, it's simple physics and geometry... There is a very good reason that nearly all St Trooper vehicles are rear wheel drive.... Tell your mom and dad in a very nice way to do a bit of research with the NHTSA, roll over studies ...

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
When I got my first jeep last year, I was worried at first about rolling over but after over a year with my TJ, I have to say now that its based on driver stupidity and not the jeep.

Just my 2 cents...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts