Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
92 Jeep YJ with a 2000 XJ 4.0/aw4 swap. All was well until a few days ago. I started her up and she hesitated to take off. After i got going it was fine. Well until i came to a stop light 20 miles down the road, that is. I tried to take off and got no throttle and tons of misfire/backfire and sputtering. I made it into a gas station parking lot and sat for a good 45 minutes until she would start back up. Once i got home i took the throttle body off to clean the body and the IAC. Changed my fuel filter and ran sea foam through the engine. It seems to run better because it idles flawlessly now, but........... It seems that i cant accelerate past 2000 rpm or so before i get the "governor sound" rev up and down fast like. When i shift to (D) it dies on me unless i give it gas while i shift into gear. So when i put it under load its even worse. What are my possibilities and what do you suggest i should go about doing? I have ordered a CPS and a MAP sensor which will be here by Tuesday but I'm kind of feeling that those aren't the problem.

Ideas???

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Even when i hit the accelerator while in nuetral i still get the "governor sound" if it tries to accelerate at all. If it does'nt accelerate it will just kill the engine (bog it down) so that should rule out any transmission related issues i would hope

·
Registered
514 Posts
check your exhaust for a clogged cat one side would be hotter than the other or if you can disconnect it and see if it changes.. if not the exhaust i would check for fuel pressure at the rails.. if you can get computer codes see if you got a lean code.. pull your plugs and see what they look like they can tell you alot on how its running.. check for leaky air lines.. plugged airfilter also.. after that i would start looking at tps and iac and crank position sensors...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'll check it when I get home. It has been sluggish after startups since I've owned it but always warmed up a minute later. If that helps determine anything.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the fuel pressure it reads 30 at idle 40 when I give it gas. The air filter is good. I haven't removd the cat yet I'll try that next. No change.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Just to rule some stuff out, check your battery voltage and alternator output. Also the ground strap at the back of the head and side of the block. Sometimes that can cause things to happen that make you chase your tail.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good, every time i get a post i run out to the jeep all excited to check something different. Thanks for the suggestions fellas. Also, my whole exhaust system is welded together from cats back to tailpipe... if i wanted to get a new exhaust would i buy one for a 2000 Cherokee 4.0 and modify it to mount onto the bottom of my jeep?

·
Registered
514 Posts
If u can get ur hands on a vacumn tester.. u can check manifold vacum should be the same when u rev it up.. if it drops about five or more psi usually indicates a blockage In exahust..another quistion is was it a 2.5 before if so maybe the splice for the extra two cylinders came loose.

·
Registered
514 Posts
U can test ohm reading of injector also if you use a tube or a screwdriver as a stethoscope you can listen to see if there clicking.. sometimes you can check the injector wires with a test light .. usually blinks fast sometimes its hard to catch

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If u can get ur hands on a vacumn tester.. u can check manifold vacum should be the same when u rev it up.. if it drops about five or more psi usually indicates a blockage In exahust..another quistion is was it a 2.5 before if so maybe the splice for the extra two cylinders came loose.
Yes it was a 2.5 and the wiring done on this thing is atrocious.. lol. I fear the worst and the worst is that it's and electrical problem.. I will test the injectors tomorrow during the day. Idk about testing the exhaust. Can i get something from oreillys for that?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would definetly try to see if injectors got juice.. sounds like you may ony be running a four cylinder..follow the wire to see if the splices are any good.. ur problem may be a crap install..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would definetly try to see if injectors got juice.. sounds like you may ony be running a four cylinder..follow the wire to see if the splices are any good.. ur problem may be a crap install..
I followed each connector they seem to be wired well. The injectors test out to 15.0 15.2 15.6 15.8 15.6 15.4 since they all are in the same range i would assume they are testing out fine. Im not sure how i would test to see if each one is getting juice though, ill see if i can figure that out in a second. Also, #1 injector seems to have a leak around it?? None of the others have a stain. Odd???

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
a paper clip or wire in the injector wire and a test light is the only was i have been able to catch it.. the leak might be a o ring

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well fellas thanks for all of the help. After some mad research and 27$ later ( new map sensor and cps off of eBay) it turned out to be the cps. (Crank position sensor) she runs like a freakig beast now. Better than ever since I've had her. THANKS

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think I need to change cps everytime I do oil.. I see so many threads on here with that problem.. and its always different symptoms

1 - 15 of 15 Posts