Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The steering box is one of the few parts that has not been replaced on my Jeep..steering linkage, pump, hoses, draglink, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, unit brearings, shocks, springs, shackles, ball joints, all less than 6k. Adjusted it as much as I can...works..just doesn't feel right..still feels loose...I know there are better uprades that bolt right up...Durangos and maybe Dakotas not sure on the years... Running at least 33s probably eventually 35s...lets hear your suggestions..
TIA
sc

·
Super Moderator
12,707 Posts
This is from the TJ forum (I think). I e-mailed it to myself a couple years ago and I don't know where I originally got it.

1988-1999 Dodge Durango Steering Box....Must be from a 4WD V8
1998 snow plow option 3:1/4 ratio or a 2:15/16 ratio
1999 2:15/16 ratio

snow plow version has a bump on the top of the box that needs to be ground off because it hits the front X-member.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
My friend used a Durango steering box on his MJ running 37's and it will not turn as far lock to lock and corners worse than a bus. I Really don't know what is wrong with his setup but it was definitely NOT an upgrade. I have heard of guys running an H1 Hummer box also but i never dug into steering upgrades because my stock box works fine with my 33's.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
My friend used a Durango steering box on his MJ running 37's and it will not turn as far lock to lock and corners worse than a bus. I Really don't know what is wrong with his setup but it was definitely NOT an upgrade. I have heard of guys running an H1 Hummer box also but i never dug into steering upgrades because my stock box works fine with my 33's.
My brother and I both run a durango box without problem, lock to lock was the same and cornering is great. His is on an XJ and mine on a YJ and we both run 35's. 37's are a bit much without ram assist steering, but sounds like something else is the problem here.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
My brother and I both run a durango box without problem, lock to lock was the same and cornering is great. His is on an XJ and mine on a YJ and we both run 35's. 37's are a bit much without ram assist steering, but sounds like something else is the problem here.

He has a odd looking drop pitman arm it's really wide and dont look like it sticks out as much as most i have seen. I was wondering if his problem was in the pitman arm not being extended enough to arc back and forth fully, then again it might not be. He is running a D44 out of a 79 ford bronco with flat top knuckles and high steer arms.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
He has a odd looking drop pitman arm it's really wide and dont look like it sticks out as much as most i have seen. I was wondering if his problem was in the pitman arm not being extended enough to arc back and forth fully, then again it might not be. He is running a D44 out of a 79 ford bronco with flat top knuckles and high steer arms.
Yep, steering is all about the geometry. Sounds like your friend needs to do some adjustments to his set up.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What year is your Durango box?

·
Registered
722 Posts
A 98-99 power streering box from a Durango will bolt right in. And if I remember correctly it is a tighter turning radius lock to lock than a stock YJ box. Good luck on your project.

Been a few years since I did one, so verify the mounting bolt locations at the store, but I'm pretty sure that was the one we used.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just had a steering box from a 99 Durango installed in my 91 YJ and it steers much better. The stock one was leaking. My mechanic gets them from a guy in Tuscon. $275 for the rebuilt box and was a direct bolt on. Part number is 502-0124.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
What year is your Durango box?
98, there was an extra bolt hole on the box than my stock one which I didn't use. Other than that and adjusting the drag link it was an easy upgrade

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all...my winch should be here anyday..going to have to pull bumper to install...going to swap boxes while bumper is off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts