Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used 2008 Wrangler about a month ago, very clean, however, it does have high mileage, 136,600. The only thing I can find is a very small leak around the oil pan drain plug. I ordered a new one so when I change my oil I can also change the drain plug. One other oddity is the letters / writing on the bottom of the oil pan, it looks like a capital F A. Any ideas as to what it could reference?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, here's what I'm thinking, the lettering my be some type of classification for a used engine. Does anyone have this type of lettering on their JK oil pan?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I don't have anything like that on the bottom of my 2016 oil pan. Don't believe it came from factory with that on the oil pan. Why it's on there.... no idea. Have you checked the engine serial# to see if it matches the vehicle? Might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
One other oddity is the letters / writing on the bottom of the oil pan, it looks like a capital F A. Any ideas as to what it could reference?
IMHO, it could be the original owner, or the person who did any mod'ing ? Basically signing their work?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
They don't really look like letters to me.. Just random squiggles. What type of material are they made of? Looks like RTV or something similar.

Perhaps someone had the pan off and used RTV to make sure it sealed when they put it back on. They could have squeezed some RTV out of the tube or applicator in order to clear the nozzle and did it over the oil pan which might have been sitting on the bench as they did it.

Just guessin' :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have anything like that on the bottom of my 2016 oil pan. Don't believe it came from factory with that on the oil pan. Why it's on there.... no idea. Have you checked the engine serial# to see if it matches the vehicle? Might be worth checking out.
Where would I find the engine serial number, I looked around and could not locate it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They don't really look like letters to me.. Just random squiggles. What type of material are they made of? Looks like RTV or something similar.

Perhaps someone had the pan off and used RTV to make sure it sealed when they put it back on. They could have squeezed some RTV out of the tube or applicator in order to clear the nozzle and did it over the oil pan which might have been sitting on the bench as they did it.

Just guessin' :)
Yeah, it does look like RTV, gold in color and it is a bit raised.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMHO, it could be the original owner, or the person who did any mod'ing ? Basically signing their work?
The JK was stock with the exception of a CAI, so yeah, I guess someone wanted to leave their mark.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The serial number is on the left side of the block, at the transmission flange. Should look like this....
View attachment 4419302
I took a look and could not find the engines serial number. I can't see the flange on the top of the engine, tucked tonfar underneath the firewall. I did check under the jeep, nothing there on either side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My guess is they had an oil pan skid plate on there that was either taken off or fell off. The Rancho one I have goes on with 2 bolts and high temp silicone. I can tell you that with the amount of silicone I have on mine, the 2 bolts that come with it are basically for show because it won't budge. That doesn't seem to be the orange/red high temp silicone so it may have not lasted very long if that's what used to be there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My guess is they had an oil pan skid plate on there that was either taken off or fell off. The Rancho one I have goes on with 2 bolts and high temp silicone. I can tell you that with the amount of silicone I have on mine, the 2 bolts that come with it are basically for show because it won't budge. That doesn't seem to be the orange/red high temp silicone so it may have not lasted very long if that's what used to be there.
Hmm, yes that is a possibility. I will look closer for any traces of a skid plate.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I picked up a used 2008 Wrangler about a month ago, very clean, however, it does have high mileage, 136,600. The only thing I can find is a very small leak around the oil pan drain plug. I ordered a new one so when I change my oil I can also change the drain plug. One other oddity is the letters / writing on the bottom of the oil pan, it looks like a capital F A. Any ideas as to what it could reference? View attachment 4419149 View attachment 4419151
Looks to me like that 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts