Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have these wheels arriving with 33" Duratracs later this week. I need to know if my oem lug nuts will fit. Specifically the wheel is Level 8 Tracker 15x8 -19 offset. Some people say they fit and some others don't.

If not, I buy spline lug nuts in a 1/2-20 size?

Thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have the Level 8 Trackers, Discount Tire shipped black lug nuts with the wheels.

If you didn't get a free set just ask.

I don't think the stock lugs will fit properly, if they do you'll need a very thin wall socket to get them in there. The black lugs are skinny like Gorilla locks and come with a deep socket key.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The OEM lugs are way to big to fit in the very small lug nut holes on the tracker 8s. I got the Gorilla locks with my set of trackers and the key they give you fits the oem breaker bar just fine.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
They fit on my level 8 trackers 17". You will need a gorilla PN# 3434 to get them on and off with the stock lug wrench, otherwise just use a standard 3/4" socket.

Ended up buying OEM(McGard) in black later but used the stockers for a few weeks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Since I was educated in another thread, as long as you 3.75" backspace you are clear of the stock brakes.
Not all rims, none of the steel rims fit even at that backspacing because of how the lip is molded. And some alloy rims suffer from a lip that is to big and rubs on the brakes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
15" Level 8 Trackers WILL fit over the brakes and work fine. I have the same wheels. As for the lugs, I have the black Gorilla set with the lug key. I would go with those, as the lug holes are smaller on these wheels, some of the other posts state. Discount Tire actually gave me chrome lugs although I had ordered black. I went back and they installed the black ones free of charge and I still kept the chrome ones. Pretty cool of them.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
To save you some trouble, what I went through. Compare the cone size and angle of the stock lugs against the gorillas. The gorillas are much smaller. I could not get a good 95 ft/lbs on the gorillas. So I would not use them. The stock ones fit better and snugged right down to 95#. I went through 3 sets of gorillas until I found that McGard made the oem ones in black and were only $70 with 5 locking lugs. I ordered with the gorilla adapter and works perfectly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
To save you some trouble, what I went through. Compare the cone size and angle of the stock lugs against the gorillas. The gorillas are much smaller. I could not get a good 95 ft/lbs on the gorillas. So I would not use them. The stock ones fit better and snugged right down to 95#. I went through 3 sets of gorillas until I found that McGard made the oem ones in black and were only $70 with 5 locking lugs. I ordered with the gorilla adapter and works perfectly.
Interesting. I was able to torque them to 95 ft/lbs no problem. Checked them and then checked them again. Too bad it didn't work out in your case. As for the OP, look around and see what you like. There are many options. Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Interesting. I was able to torque them to 95 ft/lbs no problem. Checked them and then checked them again. Too bad it didn't work out in your case. As for the OP, look around and see what you like. There are many options. Hope that helps
What I noticed is that the cone/bulge was about the same size of the lug hole in the rim. Pull one off and look at where the wear line is on the cone. It goes right to the edge of the cone on the gorilla. That worried me, since they take a good bit of stress off road.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
1 GOR 1/2IN BLK CHR SD 5/6 LUG KIT 21184BCD
Center Bore: F: 71.50 R: 71.50 Lug Torque: 110 LBS

From my invoice. No issues at all using the lug key with a deep socket on a torque wrench.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What I noticed is that the cone/bulge was about the same size of the lug hole in the rim. Pull one off and look at where the wear line is on the cone. It goes right to the edge of the cone on the gorilla. That worried me, since they take a good bit of stress off road.
I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks for the heads up 👍

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The gorillas I had had a cone that was about the same size as the lug hole. Some would slip inside, some would stay outside. These came with a 3/4 spline key that would work with the stock lug wench, Those are too small. They have some that are larger, but then you cannot use the stock lug wrench. I went with OEM and I can use the stock lug wench with the 3/4 to 3/4 adapter that fits inside the level 8 holes and fits inside the lug wrench.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts