Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing out the stock mud terrains for some AT's on my 2015 JKUR Hard Rock. I have decided on the KO2 34x10.5r17 on the stock Rubicon Hard Rock wheels. Looking for a more highway friendly ride and better performance in the rain.

Yes, I know they run small, but if they sit somewhere between 32-33 I will be happy. Plus at only 10.5 width I won't have any issues at full lock. I am 90/10 highway to Off-road (only get out 1-2 times per year to Rausch Creek).

My question is: Do I need a Leveling Kit? I was looking at the Teraflex leveling kit to add 2" front 1" back. If anyone is running a similar setup I would love to see it.

I'm sold on the tires, just not sure if I need/want the leveling kit. Baby #1 is on the way in Sept. so my pregnant wife would appreciate as little lift as possible so she can get in and out without having to jump lol.

·
Registered
938 Posts
no...
no one needs a leveling kit....
why does anyone need a leveling kit?
I just don't get this whole OMG!!! there is the slightest hint of a minor rake! we must level it out immediately thing...
the rest of your plan sounds solid and well thought out though...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
no...
no one needs a leveling kit....
why does anyone need a leveling kit?
I just don't get this whole OMG!!! there is the slightest hint of a minor rake! we must level it out immediately thing...
the rest of your plan sounds solid and well thought out though...
Besides it starts off with a $200 leveling kit and the next thing you know you're signing over your paychecks to Northridge and Quadratec.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would start chasing unicorns, leprechauns and peace on earth good will toward men before I ever started chasing a "more highway friendly ride" in my Wrangler :crazy:

Please go on Amazon and get your poor wife some grab bars. Get the cheap China ones off Amazon and, wait for it while I jump on my high horse, DO NOT waste $1 on anything from GraBarsUSA; it is the worst company with the worst product in the universe.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
You certainly don't "need" the leveling kit but its a very effective (and cheap) way of doing a "lift". Between the tires and the leveling kit, you'll get close to 2" over stock which is just about perfect (IMHO) before you find yourself diving off the cliff into 35s, 37s... (which will happen).

This my daughter's JK with a leveling kit and 285/70R17 Duratracs which are wider (11.5) than the 10.5 KO2s you are looking at. We put on spacers to avoid rubbing.

BTW.. the Duratracs are fantastic.. reasonably quiet, good in the rain, great in the snow (actually winter rated with the fancy mountain/snowflake logo).

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Holy crap you Guys! he's asking because he wants to know if they'll fit and the answer is Yes, they'll fit w/o a leveling kit.
As for ride quality..... You are going to a slightly less aggressive tread BUT you are going from a "C" load to a "D" load tire sooooo..... can't promise the ride will be "better". Quieter? Yes.
Take care of your Wife, She's doing ALL the work. You just showed up for desert.
Carry on.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Holy crap you Guys! he's asking because he wants to know if they'll fit and the answer is Yes, they'll fit w/o a leveling kit.
Oops... this forum does tend to get carried away. But, it is our motto the it comes to mods. Just Empty Every Pocket

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You certainly don't "need" the leveling kit but its a very effective (and cheap) way of doing a "lift". Between the tires and the leveling kit, you'll get close to 2" over stock which is just about perfect (IMHO) before you find yourself diving off the cliff into 35s, 37s... (which will happen).

This my daughter's JK with a leveling kit and 285/70R17 Duratracs which are wider (11.5) than the 10.5 KO2s you are looking at. We put on spacers to avoid rubbing.

BTW.. the Duratracs are fantastic.. reasonably quiet, good in the rain, great in the snow (actually winter rated with the fancy mountain/snowflake logo).

The Duratracs look great on your daughters Jeep! I am also a fan of these tires but they seem to be too wide for my stock wheels. My issue is I live in PA and wheel spacers will fail inspection. Thats why the KO2 34x10.5r17 are perfect. I can pass inspection and I don't have to buy new wheels. Or take off the spacers every time it needs to be inspected.

Also from a previous comment maybe I should have specified "more highway friendly". I am just referring to the road noise. I love the way my JKUR drives. If I wanted a smooth ride I wouldn't have bought a Jeep.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
The Duratracs look great on your daughters Jeep! I am also a fan of these tires but they seem to be too wide for my stock wheels. My issue is I live in PA and wheel spacers will fail inspection. Thats why the KO2 34x10.5r17 are perfect. I can pass inspection and I don't have to buy new wheels. Or take off the spacers every time it needs to be inspected.

Also from a previous comment maybe I should have specified "more highway friendly". I am just referring to the road noise. I love the way my JKUR drives. If I wanted a smooth ride I wouldn't have bought a Jeep.
Above Bold pretty much sums up the problem for your Jeep...

·
Registered
344 Posts

Are you serious? Wheel spacers fail inspection? Geez this PA stuff is crazy. So glad i don't live there.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
First off, the types of 'wheel spacers' we use on our Jeeps will NOT fail PA inspection. If they are hub centric with their own lugs, such as Spidertrax, they will NOT fail PA inspection, as long as the inspection station knows the rules. My last inspection I still had my spacers and Jeff D'Ambrosio's in Downington passed it just fine.
The spacers that fail are the ones that simply slip over the lug and then the wheel mounts to the same lugs. This style can only 1/4" thick.

Secondly, I have the 34x10.5 KO2's. Originally on stock wheels with 1.5" Spidertrax spacers. Spacers because the tires hit the sway bar when at full lock, flexing at Rausch. No lift at that time, but I did have flat flares. Tires measured 32.25" @ 32psi when on the ground.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At this point I am even considering the KO2 in the 255x75r17 if the 34x10.5r17 runs that small. Especially since the price for the standard size (255) is more than $100 cheaper per tire. That $500 saved could go towards another upgrade. Or new wheels and tires down the line specifically for off road trips. Anyone running the KO2 255x75r17? Does it run more true to size than the 34x10.5r17?

·
Super Moderator
4,556 Posts
Our JKU BC came stock with 265/70-17 KO2's as I recall. They measure just under 32", almost what the 34" KO2's run. Our first replacement set will likely either be 34's or 35's.
My sister in law bought a Willys and replaced the 255 MT's with the same 265 KO2's. She has been very happy with that. No lift or other adjustments were done.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
With the introduction of the Rubicon Recon, a new set of coils has just been added to the long list of coils. More Info here: (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/figuring-out-the-spring-rate-code-119003.html)

But according to those who've purchased the new Recon edition, the coils measure slightly longer than most or old stock coil. This alone can or could eliminate the use of any spacers unless one actually want to order a set.

Our thoughts and because of how our jeep was ordered.. (which seem to be totally random coil placement) the jeep has 17 front 56 rear.. making our jeep look more level than most other jeeps parked beside it.

Knowing this, and knowing we'll upgrade to steel or heavier bumpers etc.. we're going to up each set of coil x2 in spring rate value. Going from 17/56 to possible 19/58. If one was really brave, they would research the Recon coils and add these instead of polyurethane spacers. Thus assuming more of a hard lift without any other modifications, But a better upgraded set of shocks would be recommended.

·
Super Moderator
8,177 Posts
Did you have to re-gear or reprogram with the new tires? How's the performance if not?
Yes you would want to regear and reprogram for that size tire.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Did you have to re-gear or reprogram with the new tires? How's the performance if not?
You only need to recalibrate your computer (AEV flashcal, $160) to optimize shifting points and to correct the speedometer. As far as actual mechanical performance, I did not regear my gear ratio. I have 3.73 factory gears and it gets around just fine, it does not feel too far off from stock.

You may be fine with these tires if you have 3.21 factory gearing since the tires are pretty light (63lbs each).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts