Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Freedom Edition JKU. It currently has the 17 inch stock wheels. I am thinking about the 33s (Nitto Terra Grapplers) with 17x9 Helo 878s. Then someone asked why I would not want the 35 inch tires on 18 inch wheels... but that's for another thread....

Almost everyone's told me I need to lift the JKU. Question is - should I go with a 2" leveling kit or go with the Teraflex Budget Boost? Better yet, the Rubicon Express Suspension Lift kit? Teraflex has a suspension kit too.

Is there an advantage in replacing the stock springs with the Rub Exp or Teraflex springs?

I know it all depends on what I intend to do with the JKU. Mostly commuting and running about town. But will certainly get out on the trails as often as possible.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Guidance?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
If you want a lift then get a lift but don't do it because "everyone" tells you need one. It will cost you more than price tag of lift in the long run.

The two lift products are very similar because they both use spacers instead of coils to lift your Jeep moderately. Most lift kits of any type provide leveling because the rake limits the tire size you can run effectively.

Start by reading the "stickies" at the top of the Tech Forum and pursue through some lift threads. You will get the hang of it pretty fast and see that opinions are all over the place. Figure out what are the best mods for your needs and budget. Ask plenty of specific questions.

There is nothing wrong with stock Jeep unless you're going to the mall and want to put on a good show for the shoppers. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
budget boost from rough country already gives 0.5" more up front to level it out

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I have the exact vehicle that you are trying to build. My JKU Freedom Edition has the stock 17" rims with 33" Nitto Trail Grappler tires and a 2" budget boost spacer lift. It has the stock coils with the spacers on top of them. With 33" tires, I would definitely lift it a little. My budget boost lift works perfect. I do not see any reason at all to replace the springs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the exact vehicle that you are trying to build. My JKU Freedom Edition has the stock 17" rims with 33" Nitto Trail Grappler tires and a 2" budget boost spacer lift. It has the stock coils with the spacers on top of them. With 33" tires, I would definitely lift it a little. My budget boost lift works perfect. I do not see any reason at all to replace the springs.

Thank you! Appreciate you posting that picture. Gives me a great visual. I was thinking about the terra Grapplers. How do you like the trail grapplers? Where do you ride the most? And is it noisy? Any other issues?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys... This was exactly the thread I was looking for! Can you give me some thoughts.. I'm looking at the AEV level/boost and add nitto terra grapplers. My question/concern is what size nitto would be best for 33" ( I have 18" wheels) and would I have to adjust gearing?

Will the 33s. Nittos fit on back of spare tire carrier? Any help would be appreciated!
Nice look "freedom jk"

·
Registered
405 Posts
33's fit with no lift.

now heres a question for you; what kind of offroading do you plan on doing? trails? mud? rocks? have you taken your new vehicle offroad yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Haa mall 4wheeleing. Hopefully a few curbs to pose on. Seriously, very min. Off roading. Southwest Fl. Doesn't offer much in the way of terrain. Hense just a 2" boost/level kit.

So no issues with attaching to stock rear carrier then ?

Thanks much *

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Thank you! Appreciate you posting that picture. Gives me a great visual. I was thinking about the terra Grapplers. How do you like the trail grapplers? Where do you ride the most? And is it noisy? Any other issues?
I bought my Jeep slightly used and the previous owner had put the Trail Grapplers on. I drive 95% on the pavement, but the few times I have gone off road, it was very nice to have these tires. They are actually not too loud on the road. I have no issues at all with my lift or these 33" tires. I love this combo.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I bought my Jeep slightly used and the previous owner had put the Trail Grapplers on. I drive 95% on the pavement, but the few times I have gone off road, it was very nice to have these tires. They are actually not too loud on the road. I have no issues at all with my lift or these 33" tires. I love this combo.
What kind of gas mileage you getting?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts