Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my front end (measured at bottom of fenders) sits 1/2" lower then the rear end (measured same) ie 35.5" vs 36" measured on a flat level cement floor. both drivers side and passenger sides are identical with each other. I am thinking of putting in a 1/2" spacer but wonder if a 1/2" teraflex spacer would actaully really lift it 1/2" or should I go with 1"? not doing it for any other reason then cosmetics. Biggest tires I will ever run are must likely some 2013 rubi take offs I have found, currently running 245/75-16's. springs are 17/58's. I never paid much attention to the front end dip until I got on this forum and now it is bugging me lol.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I am thinking of putting in a 1/2" spacer but wonder if a 1/2" teraflex spacer would actaully really lift it 1/2" or should I go with 1"?
Yes, a half inch spacer will really lift half an inch.

Unlike replacement coils--where just how much lift you get will in part depend on how tall/stiff the coils are that you're replacing--a spacer just sits on top of your current coils. So half an inch equals half an inch.

There are some caveats I could think off that would perhaps apply to larger spacers, but I'd expect you'd get exactly half and inch out of a half inch spacer.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Don't forget the front fenders sit higher then the rear so you have more than half an inch differnce there. You need to get a 1" spacer for the front if you want to truely level the Jeep out. There should be more gap in the front fenderwell then rear.

The fenders are deceiving and are not a good choice to use for a reference point. I used my factory running boards for a reference point and before the leveling kit my rear sat exactly 1" higher than the front and of course after the leveling kit was installed front and back were exactly the same height.

·
Super Moderator
23,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't forget the front fenders sit higher then the rear so you have more than half an inch differnce there. You need to get a 1" spacer for the front if you want to truely level the Jeep out. There should be more gap in the front fenderwell then rear.

The fenders are deceiving and are not a good choice to use for a reference point. I used my factory running boards for a reference point and before the leveling kit my rear sat exactly 1" higher than the front and of course after the leveling kit was installed front and back were exactly the same height.
thanks to both of you for the replies. I did just go out and measure the bottom of the body and it still measures 1/2" difference front to back. That is measuring right behind the front wheel and right in front of the back wheel (the two furthest points I could get along the common plain. When I get a chance I am going to need to try and extend the front end 1/2-1" somehow and step back to see if it makes a difference visually.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am in the same situation as you...I am getting 1/2" measurement for the front to back difference. I have a Sahara, could that be the reason? As I understand it, the Sport and Rubicon have the same springs and the Sahara has a softer spring.

Also, with 2012 and beyond, the 3.6L might weigh 100lbs less than the previous engine so perhaps that reduced the rake?

Anyway, I am not looking for a real lift, just a little bump, so to speak. I do see that there are also 1/2" spacers available from Teraflex so that might be substituted for one of the 1" pucks up front?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 2013 jk sport. I had 1/2" diff front to back at the fenders. I don't really like the factory rake but, like the nose higher look even less. I put the Teraflex leveling kit on 2" front 1" rear and added a 7/16" thick spacer I made to the rear. I think it looks very good. If the front sags over time I can pull my home made spacer out.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I am in the same situation as you...I am getting 1/2" measurement for the front to back difference. I have a Sahara, could that be the reason? As I understand it, the Sport and Rubicon have the same springs and the Sahara has a softer spring.

Also, with 2012 and beyond, the 3.6L might weigh 100lbs less than the previous engine so perhaps that reduced the rake?

Anyway, I am not looking for a real lift, just a little bump, so to speak. I do see that there are also 1/2" spacers available from Teraflex so that might be substituted for one of the 1" pucks up front?
I may be way off base, but here is my take on this matter. I used a carpenters level on the bottom of the door seal and the actual frame and at the most it sits only 1/2 of an inch lower in the front. One can't measure any body parts to see if the frame is level to the ground, but only the frame!

I know that all the aftermarket suppliers will tell you different, but they want to sell their products to you as an end user. That's their job. Most folks buy into it and that's why they keep telling you that.

The way the Jeep is designed will give a optical elusion that it's really not level when it really is.

Just my 2 cents, but what do I know?

50 Something

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
50 Something said:
I may be way off base, but here is my take on this matter. I used a carpenters level on the bottom of the door seal and the actual frame and at the most it sits only 1/2 of an inch lower in the front. One can't measure any body parts to see if the frame is level to the ground, but only the frame!

I know that all the aftermarket suppliers will tell you different, but they want to sell their products to you as an end user. That's their job. Most folks buy into it and that's why they keep telling you that.

The way the Jeep is designed will give a optical elusion that it's really not level when it really is.

Just my 2 cents, but what do I know?

50 Something
Because it's not actually about being level. It's about appearing level.

Jeep's effort at aerodynamics wants a level frame, and slightly forward raked body. The goal of a "leveling kit" is to get rid of the body rake.

·
Super Moderator
23,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Jeep's effort at aerodynamics wants a level frame, and slightly forward raked body. The goal of a "leveling kit" is to get rid of the body rake.
x2 that is my concern, better looks

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a 2013 jk sport. I had 1/2" diff front to back at the fenders. I don't really like the factory rake but, like the nose higher look even less. I put the Teraflex leveling kit on 2" front 1" rear and added a 7/16" thick spacer I made to the rear. I think it looks very good. If the front sags over time I can pull my home made spacer out.
It would be great to know more about the 7/16" spacer you made.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
if you get the rough country spacer lift series 2 its a 2.5 in front and a 2in in the rear. only 180 bucks and actually a very nice all metal budget boost

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
lee indy said:
if you get the rough country spacer lift series 2 its a 2.5 in front and a 2in in the rear. only 180 bucks and actually a very nice all metal budget boost
x2. I respond to these leveling kit thread, but truth be told I would never get one. Just get a small budget boost--they all "level" the jeep, and at least you get a 2.5" lift.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
x2. I respond to these leveling kit thread, but truth be told I would never get one. Just get a small budget boost--they all "level" the jeep, and at least you get a 2.5" lift.
yep. this kit is 180 retail but if you call jeep add ons and ask for chris ext 1884 hell hook you up just mention the forum. ive installed 14 this year already.
really simple and make sure you get the series II kit so you have the links and tie rod bracket.

thats mine with the lift and 285s. lots of people run 35s or 315s on the same kit.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
yep. this kit is 180 retail but if you call jeep add ons and ask for chris ext 1884 hell hook you up just mention the forum. ive installed 14 this year already.
really simple and make sure you get the series II kit so you have the links and tie rod bracket.

thats mine with the lift and 285s. lots of people run 35s or 315s on the same kit.
Yours still looks like it has a rake...This is why I would go for a 1" higher lift in the front to get the Jeep to appear level. Not to mention your after market bumper and winch have probably caused the springs to sag a bit in front bringing the rake back.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Last week I installed 2 " AEV leveling kit.
Paid for it $ 260 (Quadratec with free shipping), and paid my mechanic $ 200 for install.
I am very happy with this kit. I have 2013 JKUR and 17 inch wheels.
I am not sure if the 17 wheels are little too small for 2 inch lift ??

·
Super Moderator
23,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last week I installed 2 " AEV leveling kit.
Paid for it $ 260 (Quadratec with free shipping), and paid my mechanic $ 200 for install.
I am very happy with this kit. I have 2013 JKUR and 17 inch wheels.
I am not sure if the 17 wheels are little too small for 2 inch lift ??

post a photo

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sorry - don't know how.
Went to FAQ, and this is what I found :
"Albums can be created by visiting the User Control Panel, and clicking on the 'Pictures & Albums' link, and then clicking on 'Add Album'."
Went to User Control Panel and spent 10 minutes looking for "Pictures & Albums" link.
If that link does exist - someone did pretty good job hiding it from me.
Sorry !

·
Registered
876 Posts

Ahhh! Just as I suspected! Looking good at a "Mall" and no good use for performance?

If I were to climb a hill I would like my front end lower than the back end or else I would roll the thing!

50 Something

1 - 20 of 26 Posts