Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 2dr (Sahara) hard top with 15,000mi and stock suspension. The number on the front springs are 52126313AC. I want to get rid of the rake in the front. It also does the nose dive on braking. I did measure the back and front, there is a 1/2" sag in the front. I am leaning against spacers because the weak springs will still be there. I have stock bumpers and do not plan on adding any extra weight. My stock tires are P25570R18. I may replace them with the same size or maybe a size bigger but that is it.

What are my spring options? I did read that replacement springs are built for added weight. So a 1.5" spring lift may actually lift you 2.5"+. That is what concerns me. I will also replace the shocks and steering damper too.

Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
I could be wrong but I think the spring rates are the same for all JK/JKU springs and only the length changes with the number so I don't think your Springs are any weaker than any others.

If you don't want a spacer you may pick up some take offs in a higher number.

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
I have a 2015 2dr (Sahara) hard top with 15,000mi and stock suspension. The number on the front springs are 52126313AC. I want to get rid of the rake in the front. It also does the nose dive on braking. I did measure the back and front, there is a 1/2" sag in the front. I am leaning against spacers because the weak springs will still be there. I have stock bumpers and do not plan on adding any extra weight. My stock tires are P25570R18. I may replace them with the same size or maybe a size bigger but that is it.

What are my spring options? I did read that replacement springs are built for added weight. So a 1.5" spring lift may actually lift you 2.5"+. That is what concerns me. I will also replace the shocks and steering damper too.

Thanks

A 13 front is about average on a 2dr. The last 2 numbers in the part number designate the spring length. 4dr springs on the front start at 16 and go up to 19. You get about 5/16" of lift for each number increase. A great little inexpensive lift for a 2dr is a set of 18/58, 18/59, 19/59 or 19/60 springs. 18/58's are very common... That's about 1.5" of lift at stock spring rates. I have a set in my garage that I paid $75 for including a set of Rubicon shocks. A local shop gave me a set of 18/59 for my daughter's 2dr free...

Rubicon shocks are a nice little upgrade, but if you want to make a serious improvement, look at a set of aftermarket shocks, like Rancho.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks

A 13 front is about average on a 2dr. The last 2 numbers in the part number designate the spring length. 4dr springs on the front start at 16 and go up to 19. You get about 5/16" of lift for each number increase. A great little inexpensive lift for a 2dr is a set of 18/58, 18/59, 19/59 or 19/60 springs. 18/58's are very common... That's about 1.5" of lift at stock spring rates. I have a set in my garage that I paid $75 for including a set of Rubicon shocks. A local shop gave me a set of 18/59 for my daughter's 2dr free...

Rubicon shocks are a nice little upgrade, but if you want to make a serious improvement, look at a set of aftermarket shocks, like Rancho.
Thanks for the info. I was going to get a set of Bilstein shocks and steering damper. Have you heard anything about the Teraflex spring leveling kit 1.5", or the Eibach progressive rate spring leveling kit sold by Quadratec?

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was going to get a set of Bilstein shocks and steering damper. Have you heard anything about the Teraflex spring leveling kit 1.5", or the Eibach progressive rate spring leveling kit sold by Quadratec?
I don't know much about that Eibach kit other than they use spring rates that are close to stock which should be good for ride quality. The TF is a great little kit, but it is almost exactly the same as getting some JKU 4dr springs at 4 times the price...

Lots of Bilstein fans here, but not my favorite. But more importantly is if you want to change out your stabilizer, don't use a gas charged unit like the Bilstein and make sure you get a kit with relocation brackets, like this:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16201_003_07.htm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
I don't know much about that Eibach kit other than they use spring rates that are close to stock which should be good for ride quality. The TF is a great little kit, but it is almost exactly the same as getting some JKU 4dr springs at 4 times the price...

Lots of Bilstein fans here, but not my favorite. But more importantly is if you want to change out your stabilizer, don't use a gas charged unit like the Bilstein and make sure you get a kit with relocation brackets, like this:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16201_003_07.htm

So no gas charged steering stabilizer? How come?
Quadratec has a pair of Mopar 14a heavy duty front coils for 2dr. They also have a pair of mopar heavy duty front coils that are 18a for the JKU. You mentioned earlier it's approximately 5/16" lift per number. If that is accurate, then wouldn't I need 16a for the front? That would translate to about 15/16" of lift. I think that would settle down to approximately 1/2 inch of lift in the front when it's all said and done. That 1/2" is what I'm looking for to get rid of the factory sag. I would also put some Rancho 9000 shocks on. What do you think of that?

·
Super Moderator
4,573 Posts
A gas charged steering damper has a tendency to add a pull to the side. That is because the gas charge is trying to extend the damper. That pushes the steering to one side. I have seen set ups where they put a spring in the damper to push back the other way, but that is stupid and will never work quite right. There are also through rod dampers that do not have a push in either direction and are still high pressure gas charged. Or you can go with a low pressure damper like the stock one. But the first question is why are you replacing the stock damper. Is it broken? There is little to be gained by replacing the stock unit unless it is broken. You can relocate the damper up out of the way to improve protection for it. I am considering replacing mine , but my reasoning is part relocating it and part replacing it with a nicer looking unit. But so far I can't get myself to throw money at it for no real gain in performance. I have other things that come first. Things that will make my Jeep work better.

As to the spring question, I would just get a spacer. If you put in a 1" spacer in front you will get 1" of lift. I don't think there is anything wrong with the stock spring rates for most people. Unless you are adding a lot of weight (you said you are not), the stock spring rates should be pretty good, and a spacer is an easy way to get a given amount of lift.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was replacing the damper along with the shocks. It is all stock and 3yr old. I will not get a gas charged damper. Thanks for that info. Stock and 3yr old was my same thought with the front springs. Since I'm already there why not replace the springs with a little higher rate and taller 1/2" - 3/4"? If I just use a spacer, won't I still have a nose dive when braking?

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
So no gas charged steering stabilizer? How come?
Quadratec has a pair of Mopar 14a heavy duty front coils for 2dr. They also have a pair of mopar heavy duty front coils that are 18a for the JKU. You mentioned earlier it's approximately 5/16" lift per number. If that is accurate, then wouldn't I need 16a for the front? That would translate to about 15/16" of lift. I think that would settle down to approximately 1/2 inch of lift in the front when it's all said and done. That 1/2" is what I'm looking for to get rid of the factory sag. I would also put some Rancho 9000 shocks on. What do you think of that?
Yes, it you are just looking to level with basically no lift than a 16 or 17 would be good for you.

A gas charged steering damper has a tendency to add a pull to the side. That is because the gas charge is trying to extend the damper. That pushes the steering to one side. I have seen set ups where they put a spring in the damper to push back the other way, but that is stupid and will never work quite right. There are also through rod dampers that do not have a push in either direction and are still high pressure gas charged. Or you can go with a low pressure damper like the stock one. But the first question is why are you replacing the stock damper. Is it broken? There is little to be gained by replacing the stock unit unless it is broken. You can relocate the damper up out of the way to improve protection for it. I am considering replacing mine , but my reasoning is part relocating it and part replacing it with a nicer looking unit. But so far I can't get myself to throw money at it for no real gain in performance. I have other things that come first. Things that will make my Jeep work better.

As to the spring question, I would just get a spacer. If you put in a 1" spacer in front you will get 1" of lift. I don't think there is anything wrong with the stock spring rates for most people. Unless you are adding a lot of weight (you said you are not), the stock spring rates should be pretty good, and a spacer is an easy way to get a given amount of lift.
Agree, the typical gas pressurized damper like the Bilstein and Fox will usually cause a left pull due to the damper pushing on the tie rod to the left. A twin tube, non pressure stabilizer is the simple and economical "best choice". That's the reason that the OME is probably the most popular stabilizer we see.

I was replacing the damper along with the shocks. It is all stock and 3yr old. I will not get a gas charged damper. Thanks for that info. Stock and 3yr old was my same thought with the front springs. Since I'm already there why not replace the springs with a little higher rate and taller 1/2" - 3/4"? If I just use a spacer, won't I still have a nose dive when braking?
The spacer is still a good and economical choice. Springs/spacers don't have any impact on brake dive, that improvement will come from shocks more than anything. If you want to update the springs, that's a great choice, but if you want it simple, the spacer is just fine too. Paired with some 9000XL Rancho's, you'd have a great ride! I'm always chasing a little more ride height which is why I recommended the 18/58 combo...

https://www.extremeterrain.com/teraflex-1-front-pair-jk-1953075pair.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just talked to Qtec. They said the Mopar HD 14a front springs should give me 1" lift over the stock 13a I currently have. Does that seem like a big jump for just one number increase? If it is truly an 1" increase do you think it will settle down a bit?

·
Super Moderator
4,573 Posts
Height increases from springs do tend to settle over time. That is from the spring settling in. That is something that does not happen with a spacer.
Going with different spring(s) is going to be something of a luck of the draw. There are so many variables. It kinda depends on how precise you want the change to be. If you want some more height, but aren't specific about exactly how much height, swapping springs should work fine. Either the HD springs mentioned by Quadratec, a set of leveling springs sold for that purpose, or just buying a longer set of springs used from someone who upgraded their springs.
If you specifically want a 1" increase in height at the front, just add a 1" spacer. The spring rate will not change, but the front will ride 1" higher. Of if you only want a half inch, use a half inch spacer.
I would focus on shocks over springs or spacers, better shocks are more important in my opinion than springs. And if you do want to upgrade springs I would get progressive rate springs unless you are going cheap and just want taller stock rate springs, which you can get used cheap as mentioned.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Stock, I had 1 5/8" of rake from rear to front with a winch installed.

For $500 you can pick up the Rancho Sport 2" kit with adjustable 9000 shocks. The springs are progressive and you can adjust your ride stiffness. It could be considered a leveling kit because you get 2.25-2" up front, 1"-1.5" rear of lift. You can comfortably run up to 33's with no worries.

Cake to install, rides great, and alignment is not an issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok great thanks for your input! I have 13s coils in the front. To lift it 1/2" to 3/4" in front, what would I have to upgrade to? 16s?,17? I like American made so I'm going to go with the Rancho 9000xl shocks. Do I have to adjust all 4 shocks the same number, or can I have the front a little more stiff if desired?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With that Rancho sport kit did you have to do anything else? Did it come with front sway bar links? You said alignment wasn't an issue you did not have it aligned when you were finished?

This started out with me just wanting to take the 1/2" rake out of the front and level the Jeep off. Now I have second thoughts maybe I will do a small lift on it. Money isn't really an issue with this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts