Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Please redirect me if I am in the wrong place! I am getting new wheels and tires next week, and it was suggested to me that I also get a TF leveling kit. He said that the tires I'm getting will fit better and that the leveling kit will not affect the ride or stock parts.

I'm nervous about a leveling kit after reading about having it "age" parts quicker than normal and a friend even wrote the following to me:

"Because all of a sudden your headlights and mirrors don't face the road any more... Your handling characteristics are changed for the worse. Your weight transfer gets changed your haualing capacity is lessened. Adding spacers that don't have extra suspension travel destabilize ride quality."

Does anyone have any advice? I like the look of a lift, but don't want to mess with the stock suspension if it's going to do damage in the long run, considering I bought my jeep and paid a lot!

Thanks all! ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
what size tire do you plan on running? you can run 33's with no lift. Ive had the teraflex spacer leveling kit on for about a year and havent really noticed any difference in ride quality other than recently I started to think its started to ride a bit more harsh, but that could be from numerous things not exactly related to the lift, or it could be that I dont remember how it rode without it since I have had it on longer than without, and maybe cant quite recall what stock height felt like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what size tire do you plan on running? you can run 33's with no lift. Ive had the teraflex spacer leveling kit on for about a year and havent really noticed any difference in ride quality other than recently I started to think its started to ride a bit more harsh, but that could be from numerous things not exactly related to the lift, or it could be that I dont remember how it rode without it since I have had it on longer than without, and maybe cant quite recall what stock height felt like.
Thanks for your reply! I plan to run 33's, but I do like the look of it lifted just a bit!!!

I wonder what others have to say as far as the ride, problems down the line, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As for the long term wear I can't comment on how it affects other suspension parts, however I have read that the small leveling kits don't affect them very much (not enough to deter you anyways). I just Installed the teraflex leveling kit (the spacer kit not the coil kit) and installed a 1.25 inch spacer on the wheels as well as i run 285/70/17 MT tires. I love the ride and it didn't make it any worse. I am taking it on a trip to Texas (about 600 miles) this next week and expect it to ride the same as factory as it has so far! you may need to adjust the headlights down just a bit but its super easy to do. I wouldn't feel worried about getting one installed, it looks awesome and its not going to affect other suspension parts very much if at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
I had Teraflex leveling kit, spacer, not coil about a month ago with 34" tires and love it. With my fender flares it looks like I have a larger lift. Absolutely make sure you get good alignment afterwards because I didn't and the ride felt unstable. After my alignment it's great. Was gonna go 2.5" suspension lift but couldn't really justify extra expense and wear on components. My 305/70/17 Toyo Extremes measure out to 33.9.

I'd go level kit or with 33's you could trim or replace fenders with nothing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a TF Leveling Kit, springs and JKS sway bar disconnects. My Jeep rides smoother and handles better than it did stock. I love this setup! Now depending on your driving habits you might loose 1-2 MPG with more air disturbance under your Jeep. But, we drive Jeeps so we are not worried about MPG. lol

Reactions: Bubbalel

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a TF Leveling Kit too and love it. At the time of of the lift install, I also installed Ranch 9000XL adjustable shocks so I can dial in the ride to my liking. Been running like this for almost a year and wouldn't change a thing.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Hi everyone! Please redirect me if I am in the wrong place! I am getting new wheels and tires next week, and it was suggested to me that I also get a TF leveling kit. He said that the tires I'm getting will fit better and that the leveling kit will not affect the ride or stock parts.

I'm nervous about a leveling kit after reading about having it "age" parts quicker than normal and a friend even wrote the following to me:

"Because all of a sudden your headlights and mirrors don't face the road any more... Your handling characteristics are changed for the worse. Your weight transfer gets changed your haualing capacity is lessened. Adding spacers that don't have extra suspension travel destabilize ride quality."

Does anyone have any advice? I like the look of a lift, but don't want to mess with the stock suspension if it's going to do damage in the long run, considering I bought my jeep and paid a lot!

Thanks all! ?
No disrespect but disregard. That said, Install is still a factor (in anything suspension related) You can poke the pooch if done incorrectly but it ain't a shuttle launch either.
If you want a little boost and a level rig the TF leveling kit is just fine.
There are others as well....

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Fwiw, I don't ever remember reading a post complaining about the TF Leveling Kit causing problems down the road.

If you're interested in seeing just what is involved in the installation, check out this video posted by a fellow Forum member:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp13geAKjd8

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
A spacer based leveling kit or small lift should deliver, if installed correctly, the same ride quality as stock. The spacers do not change the spring rates, they just increase the ride height. As long as it is installed correctly and aligned it should be as good a ride as stock.
A spring based leveling kit or small lift will often deliver a better ride than stock. The stock springs and shocks are not exactly cream of the crop, and a quality spring leveling kit or lift can definitely deliver a better ride than stock. I don't see how there would be any extra wear from either, and as long as the new components are good quality you should have no issues.
I have a spacer based lift currently. I have extra parts to improve on the spacer lift, like better shocks and adjustable track bars. The spacers were a good way to test the waters, to help us determine how much lift we wanted. Now the plan is to buy springs that are a little taller than my spacers.
There is a thread on here, the most popular lift thread, and it covers a good 2.5" lift that will out perform stock. There is also the Mopar 2" lift (really closer to 3" of lift), there is a thread here that covers that as well. There is also a thread in the tires and wheels section on oversize tires and what you can fit without a lift.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did the TF spacers on my 2010 JKU and the TF springs on my 2017. Do the TF springs. Same amount of work to install. I didn't change the shocks on either but the 17 has gas factory shocks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Got to say your friend is not 100% correct.
I ran a 97 TJ with a 2.5 spacer lift for 260,000 miles and never had an issue.

My current '17 JKU has had the TF kit since day one with 10A/RECON 006AA/009AA springs and I have Clocked 23K on it in 6 months with no issue. No reason it would wear parts sooner.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I love my TF leveling kit. Love the looks and ride of my Jeep. I've had mine on for about a year now. And if, I mean if, the pucks do happen to wear out, they can be had cheap. But I just don't see it happening for many many years. The pucks are solid polyurethane similar to the little elastomer on the shocks. Wear should be the least of your concerns, but I sort of get it when you wrote what you heard. You'll be happy with it. I know I am.
I also did the Rancho 9000 shocks and love them over the OEM shocks. Night and day difference in ride. I'm running 33" tires all terrain.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Mirrors and headlights can and should be adjusted regardless of the lift.

A spacer lift should keep most things in spec, but you should get an alignment no matter what kind of work you do to the suspension.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have a TF leveling kit on mine, works great. I also added newer, JKU springs after the aftermarket bumpers and winch and then I added some adjustable lower control arms to the front to correct the caster a bit. Some need that and some don't. I'm running tires that are about 33.5". Good clearance all around.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had the kit for a year and it works great as far as giving extra clearance. With a spydertrax wheel spacer it really looked good as well. Performance is like a stocker would be at the expense of lost shock travel. Although i flexed it well enough and found it to be a nonissue on the mild trails. Having said that the stock suspension is too soft when i am loaded for trips so i uograded to stiffer lift. Imho the stock setup is well balanced from daily driving and mild offroading so running the pucks is a good compromise.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts