Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I'm 90% highway 8 % surface streets, 2% trail riding so I'll assume I'm good. If I can grab some rubi takeoff shocks for a good price I'll do that I guess. Planning on a proper lift of <3" when its time to upgrade tires. This was the right price ( FREE!) so I couldn't pass it up.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, do you know the legths? The Rancho 5000x shocks run around $50 a piece. Great option for shock
Hopefully you're still following the thread.
Got a BIG box from my benefactor today. 4 pucks for the lift, 4 shocks, bracket and steering stabilizer. The bracket will need the attention of a wire brush, some rust stopper, and paint. Pictures are included. Do you think I need to worry about the "cracks" in the rubber at the end of the shocks? Think everything has less than 20k on it. Shocks are very stout. Any problem taping off the shafts and painting the bodies of the shocks? Based on the measurements think I need some stops?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
search youtube for the Teraflex budget boost install, the should help you out.

I wouldn't worry about the bushings, and no problems painting the body.

you will need to measure the compressed lengths. is there a part number on the shock you can reference? lets say the fronts measure 16"(stock 15") = 1' bumpstop.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
search youtube for the Teraflex budget boost install, the should help you out. I wouldn't worry about the bushings, and no problems painting the body. you will need to measure the compressed lengths. is there a part number on the shock you can reference? lets say the fronts measure 16"(stock 15") = 1' bumpstop.
I'll try and look for a serial/part number to reference. Are you telling me the compressed length of stock is 15 or was that just an example

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Example but close. Front/rear Rubi/sport are all different.
Roger. I'll get measurements on both stock and after market tonight.
The terra flex video shows new sway bar links (longer I assume). How do I determine which length to order, or do I need them? Also they kind of gloss over straightening the steering wheel afterwards. Difficult, or more or less obvious?
Thank you for continuing to respond.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Roger. I'll get measurements on both stock and after market tonight. The terra flex video shows new sway bar links (longer I assume). How do I determine which length to order, or do I need them? Also they kind of gloss over straightening the steering wheel afterwards. Difficult, or more or less obvious? Thank you for continuing to respond.
You Will need them for the front. You mentioned discos, JKS makes a 0-2 front disconnect. .

You will probably have to straighten the steering wheel. Nothing to worry about, it's very easy.

·
Super Moderator
14,571 Posts
Those Pro Comp's are not known to be a great riding shock... The rest of the kit should be good to go.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those Pro Comp's are not known to be a great riding shock... The rest of the kit should be good to go.
Saw you mention another set, maybe FOX, in another post. Would you recommend new or should I purchase rubi take offs. I generally see ruby (control arms, shocks, springs) for about $200 around here on CL.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
search youtube for the Teraflex budget boost install, the should help you out.

I wouldn't worry about the bushings, and no problems painting the body.

you will need to measure the compressed lengths. is there a part number on the shock you can reference? lets say the fronts measure 16"(stock 15") = 1' bumpstop.
So maybe i should buy rancho shocks. Noticed that one of the shock bodies was dented. Shock fully compresses.
Measured the Pro Comps at 16". Have not measured my stock shocks but I have a 15 JKU Sport.

I got a partial part number on the stock unit "63816" are the final numbers looks like maybe an "AC" prior to that and a "1L" below the 63816

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sport shocks are 14" front and 14.50 rear.
So to keep a running total of what I still need to order before installing this "free" lift.
Quick Disco control arms in the 0-2" range. suggested brand JKS
Bump Stops 2"
Perhaps just throw the shocks out and purchase new but 14" to match up with stock or perhaps better to plan ahead and get 16" with 2" bumpstops thinking I will grab springs at some point.
Thoughts on the used Rubi vs just buying new?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
So to keep a running total of what I still need to order before installing this "free" lift. Quick Disco control arms in the 0-2" range. suggested brand JKS Bump Stops 2" Perhaps just throw the shocks out and purchase new but 14" to match up with stock or perhaps better to plan ahead and get 16" with 2" bumpstops thinking I will grab springs at some point. Thoughts on the used Rubi vs just buying new?
If you want to regain travel
Rancho 5000x
29 (last 2 numbers) front
30 rear

Im thinking 2" stop. Let me look into the specs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts