Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my opinion, the ventilated seat, or ass-cooler, is quite possibly the greatest automotive technology introduced in the 21st century so far. My '87 YJ has no AC, and it's hot in Texas for about 8 months a year. One of my original YJ seats suffered a catastrophic frame failure and is KIA. I'm not happy with the Shittybilt replacement. Maybe I'll install an AC unit down the road, but regardless, the YJ seats are vinyl and result in much back and posterior sweating. Even hot Jeep air blasting my back would be a vast improvement over 80's vinyl.

I've looked for ventilated Jeep seats and haven't found anything other than mega-expensive custom luxury seats. Ass-coolers have been a standard feature on Lexus(s?) for at least 10 years so I'm sure some old but functional seats could be gotten for a decent price. It would take some wiring to get them going but couldn't be too complicated. I'm sure the seat frame would have to be modified too, but I'm sure it can be done.

Opinions?

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Have you any first ass experience with ventilated seats in any of your other vehicles. I don’t think it’s quite the panacea you’re anticipating.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have had first ass experience with seat coolers in a Cadillac. They were awesome in the summer with the leather seats.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
I have had first ass experience with seat coolers in a Cadillac. They were awesome in the summer with the leather seats.
That is awesome, when the heat it on, good to have a cold ass. Just asking because ventilated seats and cooled seats are two different things.

Reactions: LMNOP686

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you any first ass experience with ventilated seats in any of your other vehicles. I don’t think it’s quite the panacea you’re anticipating.

Oh yes, extensive experience. In fact, my #1 deciding factor for a new car a few years ago was ass-coolers. No ass-coolers = off the list of contenders. And it was a wise choice that I have not regretted. Granted, they can be kind of subtle, but I'm a solid adherent to the technology. And I can always turbocharge the fan to get more out of it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is awesome, when the heat it on, good to have a cold ass. Just asking because ventilated seats and cooled seats are two different things.

Yeah, so that's the thing. Some just blow ambient temp cabin air via a fan. Others (I think) take air from an AC vent. And then some have a "Peltier unit" that electrically cools the air, but then has to dump all the heat generated into an outbound vent duct. Sounds more complicated than I want to deal with. If I installed an AC unit down the road I could plumb the seat into a vent, but I think just the fan by itself would be enough.

https://www.oemcarandtruckseats.com...r-conditioned-car-truck-seats-work-the-basics

I almost never use the seat heater in my car, but I have frozen my ass off in my Jeep driving through the mountains at night even with the heat blasting with all its might. A Jeep seat heater would be a nice addition, and every ass-cooler seat has a heater too. I think I'm on to something here...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
https://youtu.be/iRC2bfrmLhQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't speak for our Korean friends, but my experience with Lexus ass-coolers has been 100% positive. They definitely get cool in a few minutes, sans the ass to absorb all that coolness. Perhaps Mr. Kim and reporter "Bang" are some extra-sweaty customers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah, so that's the thing. So none of them actually have their own refrigeration unit that I'm aware of. They just blow air via a fan. But some take that air from an AC vent and others just take it from ambient temp cabin air. If I installed an AC unit down the road I could plumb it into a vent, but I think just the fan by itself would be enough.

I almost never use the seat heater in my car, but I have frozen my ass off in my Jeep driving through the mountains at night even with the heat blasting with all its might. A Jeep seat heater would be a nice addition, and every ass-cooler seat has a heater too. I think I'm on to something here...
A seat heater is on the top off my mod lists for my yj

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A seat heater is on the top off my mod lists for my yj

Well, that is a relatively easy addition from what I've seen. All the aftermarket seat companies offer that as an option. I'm sure there are seat covers with a built in heaters too. I suppose a thrifty man could always just shove a Sterno can under his factory seat, but I suspect that might have some downsides.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Yeah, so that's the thing. Some just blow ambient temp cabin air via a fan. Others (I think) take air from an AC vent. And then some have a "Peltier unit" that electrically cools the air, but then has to dump all the heat generated into an outbound vent duct. Sounds more complicated than I want to deal with. If I installed an AC unit down the road I could plumb the seat into a vent, but I think just the fan by itself would be enough.
That's right, there is quite a range of implementations and resulting cooling effectiveness. Couple months ago I bought a new MB and after doing some research found out, the ventilated seats were just a fan that relied on cabin air. Lots of people complaining on the forums that it was lame for a luxury car. At that point I dropped it off my must have list.

·
Super Moderator
12,670 Posts
I started driving legally in 1960. Cars back then were pretty basic. Crank windows, no A/C, but at least most had an AM radio and a heater.
The first car I owned with A/C was a '55 Olds Holiday that my sisters neighbor gave me because he pulled the distributor to change the points and couldn't get it running again.
That was in 1965.
Once I got a taste of power windows and A/C, I became a Cadillac fan. Mrs. Lucky drives a Cadillac SRX with heated seats. I don't use them because they make my crotch sweat. I don't know if it has vented or cooling seats, but I wouldn't use that feature either.

I think it's what you become used to. We have central air in our house. Mrs. Lucky turns it on and I turn it off. Then we have a conversation. The A/C stays on and I go work in the garage. I'm an old buzzard and don't like to be pampered. If it's cold, I put on a sweatshirt. If it's hot, I wear a T shirt.

I don't think I'm a tough guy, but being able to endure discomfort (up to a point) can make a guy better able to survive if the SHTF or we get a zombie apocalypse. Or, the more likely chance of being stuck deep in the woods with a broken Jeep.

As far as OPs question about vented or cooling seats, take a measurement of the available space in your YJ and go to Pick & Pay with your tape measure and a few wrenches. If you find a decent set of vented seats that'll fit in the available space. The rest is simply modifying or manufacturing seat bases that will secure your new seats to the YJ floor pan and creating a circuit to power the cooling mechanism.
Without the Jeep having A/C, I can't think of any way to have cooling seats unless you can find a pair of seats with a Peltier unit that LMNOP686 mentions.
If you can find a set of damaged seats with the Peltier units, you might be able to adapt the Peltiers to your current seats. I never heard of Peltier units before this.
I googled Peltier Units and found plenty of hits. They look real affordable. If I was more interested, I'd dig deeper. I'll wait to see what LMNOP686 comes up with. It might be more practical to retrofit his seats with new units than to adapt different seats to his Jeep.

What OP is considering is an interesting mod and I'm sure that some older Wrangler owners (especially Wrangler owners south of the 33rd parallel) might find it worth the effort and cost.

Keep us posted on what you find and how you make it work. Adapting these old heaps to work according to our wants and needs is one reason this forum exists.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
130 Posts
FWIW I have a 2015 lexux gx460 with ventilated seats and they are not the best. Compared to my friends f150 the fans/cooling in the lexus are weak.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I like your style LMNOP686! I've researched the crap out of this thing, and basically going with a fan to blow ambient air is the best. I'm pretty sure all factory units duct in the A/C because after hours of searching, I finally found a company that had tried it using some sort of seat mounting cooling device, and they failed. The problem isn't with excess heat generation, it comes from the condensation. The moisture has to be vented/exhausted or it will cause mildew issues. The ambient air units are relatively inexpensive to buy, but the upholstry guy charged $150/seat to install and I had to do the wiring! In the end, it provides air flow in the hot, and heat in the cold ;)

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,920 Posts
Sounds like its time to start looking at JK's instead of comfort in a YJ.... But Yeah I got a new set of Corbeaus ready to go in

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like your style LMNOP686! I've researched the crap out of this thing, and basically going with a fan to blow ambient air is the best. I'm pretty sure all factory units duct in the A/C because after hours of searching, I finally found a company that had tried it using some sort of seat mounting cooling device, and they failed. The problem isn't with excess heat generation, it comes from the condensation. The moisture has to be vented/exhausted or it will cause mildew issues. The ambient air units are relatively inexpensive to buy, but the upholstry guy charged $150/seat to install and I had to do the wiring! In the end, it provides air flow in the hot, and heat in the cold ;)
I've looked under the seats in my GS350 and I don't see any duct-work, so I don't think mine are plumbed into the car AC vents. I concur that the Peltier-type system seems unrealistic since all that cooling comes at the cost of generating a ton of heat that has to go somewhere. It's a zero sum game (or worse) unless you can dump that excess heat outside. I hadn't thought about the moisture that could make for a disgusting mess. But somehow Lexus (and others) have a seat that keeps my ass cool. I haven't figured out how it works yet, but it does work. Is it realistic or practical to put one in my old YJ? I don't know, but a boy can dream...

This discussion has been good in that it's cooled my jets on this project, and also because the weather has cooled off. I think I may try an electrically ventilated seat cushion as an interim solution. I had one 20 years ago and it was pretty worthless; really uncomfortable, like sitting on wire mesh, loud, and required very deliberate placing of the butt to stay in place. Newer ones may be better and I can always send it back to Amazon if it sucks.

Can you do a write-up on your project? This would be a good one to share with the board. I'd like to see how you put this together, material selection, appearance, etc.

Below: Best review ever of a ventilated seat cover

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts