Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just relocated my my rear license plate inside my spare wheel. Then it got me thinking about the law regarding illuminating the plate.. What suggestions do you guys have for lighting the plate? I want to keep it where it's at, but if I can't find a way to keep it ill move it back.

Attachments

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
You could use your third brake light contacts in the door and rewire them into your tail light circuit, then mount a plate light over the top of the license plate.

·
Super Moderator
6,900 Posts
i use the light bolts and they are ok, the nice thing about illinois plates is that white is reflective, any light near it will illuminate the whole thing, ie, other cars headlights

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i use the light bolts and they are ok, the nice thing about illinois plates is that white is reflective, any light near it will illuminate the whole thing, ie, other cars headlights
How do you wire those in? My 3rd brake light is not there anymore and I'm not sure if the wires are either. I'll have to check. My uncle took it off and cut the outside wires a few years back

·
Super Moderator
6,900 Posts
you can tie it into your running lights on the rear passenger side tail light. its just two wires. you can even clean it up and use the connection plate things that are there for the third brake light

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
you can tie it into your running lights on the rear passenger side tail light. its just two wires. you can even clean it up and use the connection plate things that are there for the third brake light
be very careful when doing this. if your plate lights blink when your turn signal is on thats a ticket.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
You could use your third brake light contacts in the door and rewire them into your tail light circuit, then mount a plate light over the top of the license plate.
This is what I did. My liscense plate is on the tailgate. Just tap into the parking lights on the passenger side.

be very careful when doing this. if your plate lights blink when your turn signal is on thats a ticket.
If you tap into the parking lights it won't blink...

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
just saying be careful. cant tell you how many times ive seen someone tie the 3rd brake light and plate light into a blinker by accident.........

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is what I did. My liscense plate is on the tailgate. Just tap into the parking lights on the passenger side.

If you tap into the parking lights it won't blink...
How did you tap into the parking lights on the pass side and run them to the tailgate?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
How did you tap into the parking lights on the pass side and run them to the tailgate?
I just used a wire tap, don't remember what color parking is but a test light/multimeter/wiring schematic will tell you. Ran it through the third brake light contacts, through the tailgate, to the light. It helps though I have a newer model tailgate with the hardtop vent. You'll also have to make a body ground, I already had LED tail lights so I had already made one.

Here are some very old pics.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The tail lights are on the black with yellow tracer wire.
Found the yellow/black wire, I just can't figure out how to splice into it and run it to the connection in the tub. Since there's the male and female connectors used and the brake light wire doesn't just separate from the female connector

·
Super Moderator
6,900 Posts
strip a small bit of the black and yellow wire, mid wire, not at the end. strip the end of the new wire. wrap stripped portion of new wire around the stripped part of the black and yellow wire. tape or heat shrink over all exposed wire. then just zip tie the wires to whatever you can to minimize vibrations.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Found the yellow/black wire, I just can't figure out how to splice into it and run it to the connection in the tub. Since there's the male and female connectors used and the brake light wire doesn't just separate from the female connector
If you haven't already you'll want to pull the inner plastic fender well. That will give you access to the back side of the third brake light contacts. The brake light wires attach to the backside of the contact buttons with simple bullets style connectors, I opted to cut them off and reuse.

Use a quick splice connector to tap into the black/yellow (I would verify with a test light to be absolutely sure this is the right one), run that to one of the third brake light contacts. The other contact should go to a body ground. There are plenty of places in the fender well to place a body ground with a self tapping screw. Make sure it all lines up on the other set of contacts and you're done.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you haven't already you'll want to pull the inner plastic fender well. That will give you access to the back side of the third brake light contacts. The brake light wires attach to the backside of the contact buttons with simple bullets style connectors, I opted to cut them off and reuse.

Use a quick splice connector to tap into the black/yellow (I would verify with a test light to be absolutely sure this is the right one), run that to one of the third brake light contacts. The other contact should go to a body ground. There are plenty of places in the fender well to place a body ground with a self tapping screw. Make sure it all lines up on the other set of contacts and you're done.
Does there have to be a ground? Considering the brake light wire wasn't grounded?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts