Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all,

Wanted to get some insight on how I should mount a front license plate on my newly-installed Poison Spyder brawler mid bumper.

I thought about mounting directly to the bumper, dead center, below the spyder emblem (pic here: https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...69638906_n.jpg) , but I am worried that the angled plate won't be visible enough, and as a result, attract unwanted police attention. Up until now, I have been planning to use an aftermarket bracket (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) mounted below the Spyder emblem, bent in such a way that the license-plate holder holds the license plate more vertically oriented. But now I'm wondering if it will just end up flapping in the wind or if I hit snow/obstacle.

I will not be running a winch so I can't make use of a winchplate mount. Any thoughts/suggestions? I want to get the plate out of my front window. I also do not want to mount it to the grill, bull bar, etc. Do you think a mount directly to the bumper will suffice to meet MD legal requirements? Are there any regulations that specify how the bumper needs to be mounted?

Thanks in advance,

Willis

·
Desert Dweller
633 Posts
Don't have a PS bumper, but what I did should work for you, if you like it. The main issue is how high is your bumpers push/light bar?

I drilled/tapped a couple of holes in the light bar. I mounted the plate using allen head bolts and appropriate washers.

LoD Front Bumper.jpg

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I bought the fairlead mount from PSC & mounted my LP on it. Sorry for the sub-par picture. I'm running the same bumper as you.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Afternoon all, Wanted to get some insight on how I should mount a front license plate on my newly-installed Poison Spyder brawler mid bumper. I thought about mounting directly to the bumper, dead center, below the spyder emblem (pic here: https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...69638906_n.jpg) , but I am worried that the angled plate won't be visible enough, and as a result, attract unwanted police attention. Up until now, I have been planning to use an aftermarket bracket (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) mounted below the Spyder emblem, bent in such a way that the license-plate holder holds the license plate more vertically oriented. But now I'm wondering if it will just end up flapping in the wind or if I hit snow/obstacle. I will not be running a winch so I can't make use of a winchplate mount. Any thoughts/suggestions? I want to get the plate out of my front window. I also do not want to mount it to the grill, bull bar, etc. Do you think a mount directly to the bumper will suffice to meet MD legal requirements? Are there any regulations that specify how the bumper needs to be mounted? Thanks in advance, Willis
Here in Texas we have yearly state inspections. If you have them in your state why not go by a inspection station and ask them, they should know if your location of choice will work.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Here is a better picture in daylight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
I don't have your bumper but I bought this bracket from Maximus-3. I then bent it back. Consider underneath. One guy posted here a plate mount he made from a door hinge and it floats up when he hits stuff or is at speed.

Here is another pic from the side:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Afternoon all, Wanted to get some insight on how I should mount a front license plate on my newly-installed Poison Spyder brawler mid bumper. I thought about mounting directly to the bumper, dead center, below the spyder emblem (pic here: https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...69638906_n.jpg) , but I am worried that the angled plate won't be visible enough, and as a result, attract unwanted police attention. Up until now, I have been planning to use an aftermarket bracket (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) mounted below the Spyder emblem, bent in such a way that the license-plate holder holds the license plate more vertically oriented. But now I'm wondering if it will just end up flapping in the wind or if I hit snow/obstacle. I will not be running a winch so I can't make use of a winchplate mount. Any thoughts/suggestions? I want to get the plate out of my front window. I also do not want to mount it to the grill, bull bar, etc. Do you think a mount directly to the bumper will suffice to meet MD legal requirements? Are there any regulations that specify how the bumper needs to be mounted? Thanks in advance, Willis
im in the same boat as u are. Have a led bar ready to go on so when I get the bumpers back from powder coat on Tuesday I'm gonna try and fabricate something. Will let u know if I'm able to come up with something.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here's what I did with my PS bumper... I mounted a flat black plate to the cross member under & behind the face of the bumper & fastened my MD plate to the black plate. It's up high enough that I haven't had any issues with it. I keep the jeep in MD for 6 months of the year and in DE for 6 months. When in DE I just remove the plate (2 screws).

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Here's what I did with my PS bumper... I mounted a flat black plate to the cross member under & behind the face of the bumper & fastened my MD plate to the black plate. It's up high enough that I haven't had any issues with it. I keep the jeep in MD for 6 months of the year and in DE for 6 months. When in DE I just remove the plate (2 screws).
i don't think that will work for me. I got the skid plate. Where in Md are u?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in Missouri, front plate required. I have the same bumper and skid plate. I decided to go on the skid plate and leave it at the angle. Missouri law states it has to be right side up and no lower than 8" from the ground. I didn't drill into the skid plate. I glued magnets to the back of the plate and zip tied the top of the plate through the holes in the skid. The magnets keep it from flopping. I pass cops 2-3 times a day, no issues. You can't tell its zip tied just by walking by it.

Read the state law on how it needs to be displayed. Let me know if you need a pic.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I drilled some holes and mounted it right to the middle, but I dont really care how things look so this might not be for you.

depending on how much lift you have, attaching it to the swaybar with tube clamps is always an option.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Figured out how I'm gonna mount mine without drilling into bumper. Picked up 2 of these from lowes. Just drill out 2 holes(to mount to bumper in stock holes in bottom of bumper) bend them down with a vise and attach with bolts.

image-3313919874.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts