Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all Jeeps only have one screw (top left) to hold the license plate? I have a tag frame that won't stay straight. Drives me crazy. Anyone have a fix for it?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
show us a photo.. frame on and off

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
The rear has two screw holes and two locating pins. It isn't really compatible with plate frames. Front bumpers have indentations but you can drill/screw in anywhere.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do all Jeeps only have one screw (top left) to hold the license plate? I have a tag frame that won't stay straight. Drives me crazy. Anyone have a fix for it?
I assumed the dealership lost one of mine in the rear. Your post makes me think they must all come like that. I replaced mine with two stainless screws.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
On mine, 2016 model, I only have 2 screws on my plate. The 2 right holes have pins there to hold the plate up. I had to grind my pate to fit in it properly, because of the pins and the built in clips on the far right.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I only have two on the left too, WTF MOPAR?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
On the right I used two small 1/2" self tapping screws which go into the plastic nubs and they don't push into the tub since the screws are only 1/2". I then attached a plate frame to the now 4 screws, which also fits over the two clips, and put black caps over them like in Monsoon's photo. They've been on for years with no issues.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
On the right I used two small 1/2" self tapping screws which go into the plastic nubs and they don't push into the tub since the screws are only 1/2". I then attached a plate frame to the now 4 screws, which also fits over the two clips, and put black caps over them like in Monsoon's photo. They've been on for years with no issues.
That's a good idea using 1/2 screws. I actually bought a frame right after I bought my Jeep and was planning on using it. Didn't look at the plate. After all these years of buying new cars, I had no reason not to think it'd have 4 screw holes. I would like to use the matte black frame with the screw cap covers. Have to look for some 1/2" screws now!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Is this really that complicated? Look at the thing. It has retention clips on the far right that capture the edge of the plate, two raised bits that slide into the right side plate screws and then the left has two screws. This is how all JKs are.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have one screw top left

View attachment 2852098
That license plate frame hides information, and in Florida is not considered legal; not that you would be pulled over and ticketed for only that. Those darkened license plate covers, to try to defeat traffic security cameras, aren't legal either, but there are a boatload installed.

Feel free to trash the license plate frame as many do before leaving the dealers lot. Bet you will find the second screw hole on the left side too.

Lowes has stainless steel security screws from Hillman 1/4 x 3/4, and the driver bit T27 which makes the license plate somewhat more secure from theft, unless the thief shops at Lowes...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
For those with one screw, it's likely due to your salesperson being lazy. I don't know how it's done in other states and dealerships, but in NY the salesperson mounts your plates on a new vehicle. Mine mounted my front and rear plates and handed me a bag full of extra/spare screws.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Is this really that complicated? Look at the thing. It has retention clips on the far right that capture the edge of the plate, two raised bits that slide into the right side plate screws and then the left has two screws. This is how all JKs are.
Yea you are right. I'm not worthy

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
freaking incredible !!

With all the laws, regulations you'd think at least the politicos could demand 4 screws !!!!!

Just goes to show how STUPID the designers, engineers, process managers can be !!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts