Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Lifetime tent trainer recently. It's a cool little package, however, was missing a few items so I have been working on some mods to make it more live-able.

Here is the URL to the trailer - Lifetime Tent Trailer - Off Road Tent Trailer (65043)

Below are some picks of the mods to date. I have put in a custom battery system (2X 200AH AGM batterys, on board charger, fuse box, digital monitor) and mount for a propane tank so far. Plan to work on fresh water tank and pump next. I will keep posting as the progress continues..

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
very nice

·
Registered
12 Posts
i like it i will have to find a pic of the toy hauler my dad and i built out of a tent trailer a couple years ago and load it on here.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nice little camper.
Two upgrades I would do is replace the 2K axle with a 3.5k and replace check the thickness of the tongue of the trailer, if it is 1/8", I suggest replacing it with the same size tube but 3/16" wall.

I bought a similar trailer frame that only ever hauled 2 dirt bikes and the bearings were shot for the 2nd time and the tongue was already starting to bend.

I had a custom axle built to my specifications (same as stock but 3.5K) for under $200.00 which included new U-bolts and the tongue cost me $75.00 in material and an hour to weld on new mounting brackets.

These are two items that if fail, will definitely leave you on the side of the road or trail.

I've seen a couple of these types of trailer chassis have the tongue fail completely and the deck of the trailer was sitting on the ground.

Like I said, nice little camper.

Vince

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point, would it be enough to just weld a steel plate to the underside of the tongue to reinforce it?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Good point, would it be enough to just weld a steel plate to the underside of the tongue to reinforce it?
I don't think a flat plate welded on the bottom will do much to help but you could add another piece of thin wall tubing (same as existing tongue) underneath the tongue. That way you wouldn't have to worry about swapping the brackets or coupler and still gain the strength.

Vince

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very cool idea, I'm picking up one of these this week. How are the mod's doing? Have you had a chance to go out camping for a few days to try them out?

Keep the updates coming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Yes, I have taken it out and it was nice to have the extras for sure. We were running lights, radio, tools, and kids were even plugging in ipads and other gizmos (Still can’t understand why they bring all that Sh#t camping :0 ) and the battery dropped only 3% over 3 days. The propane was nice also. Just ran a 20' food cable direct to the camping stove.

I have a 13 Gal water tank and pump just have not installed it yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts