Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I purchased my wrangler unlimited, the sales person offered my wife and I to add a lifetime warranty on the jeep. This lifetime waranty includes everything except for the wear and tear parts (brakes, etc.). My question is that was I bamboozled to buying something that is really useless or is this really a great deal for as long as I own the jeep? I notice that they don't advertise this and only tells customers a out it after the purchase.

I also heard from a friend that oil change is also included in the deal and other liquid stuff for the engine. Is this also true?

Thanks guys for the help. I sound so much like a rookie. :D

·
Registered
705 Posts
ugh, I still don't understand and we bought ours four years ago. Well after it was paid for I was looking at the paperwork again and realized we paid extra for the "included oil changes" but whatever! So far as the lifetime warranty, I really couldn't say. We have some things that we should get looked at but out of laziness and also out of being accustomed to folks who don't know their jobs, we haven't even pursued it.... I'll be curious as to what others have to say!

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Check the paperwork and not your friend to see what is and is not included. It's a personal choice as to whether or not it is worthwhile to you. It is a huge source of revenue to the dealership, so let that be your guide.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Perhaps if the dealership has someone really great with Jeeps it would be worth going there for service, etc. I wound up learning that our salesman, the other salesmen and even the mechanics all had something in common - they really did not know Wranglers at all :( I was all gung ho about being good and trying to learn things and keep things taken care of when the JK was brand new and they kinda spoiled the good energy I had at the time whenever I brought it in. I really don't think the extra service plan was worth it in my case

·
Rock-Rubber
16,970 Posts
I will decipher what daggo said.

Revenue to dealers, means they make money.

This means that the majority of the people buying it are LOSING money.

You could luck out, and get something big covered by it, and you'll save money.

But the chances are, that you won't save anything.

It's like the lottery, you could win big, but you more likely to win something small. and the guys on the other end are always raking in the cash.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If a person decides to keep their vehicle a long time and the dealer doesn't claim a mod or something else caused the issue when you have problems then the lifetime warranty could at least give you piece of mind. There is quite a bit of reading on the warranty and what it does and doesn't cover also. With all the electrical stuff falling out of warranty(excluding motor and trans) at 3yrs or 36k miles some kinda of extended might be worth it. I'd hate paying for expensive repairs while still making payments. Of course when the next generation wrangler comes out and you trade up without using your warranty you just gave the dealership that money. The free oil changes seem to be a dealer thing as some offer anywhere between 0-20 of them with the warranty. You can check your warranty at the jeep website and read about the different plans also.

·
Support Your Member
200 Posts
I was offered the lifetime warranty for $2650 by my dealer. What do people think I should do if I plan on keeping this vehicle for 10+ years?

·
Support Your Member
200 Posts
BTW, the offer for the Lifetime warranty was $2650 with $100 deductable.

·
Registered
581 Posts
BTW, the offer for the Lifetime warranty was $2650 with $100 deductable.
I am debating this same thing.

So this means you end up paying $3150 for five repairs (just a number to throw out there)- no matter whether they are little repairs like a door handle breaking or big ones like head gaskets. Hmmm....that is a large chunk of cash knowing there will be lots of other uncovered maintenance in there and probably a plenty repairs that are not covered like brakes, exhaust, etc.

IMO I think it is not worth it at that price. That being said, if they came down around under $2000 and threw in some oil changes it might be something to think about.

ON another thread/forum I read where someone got this price but got them to go considerably lower and included one more year and x # of miles more....can't seem to locate it- the jeep threads/forums I have looked at over the last 6 weeks are spinning in my head.

good luck and let us know what else good stuff you find in your search for an answer.:popcorn:

·
Support Your Member
200 Posts
Lifetime Warranty lasts until I sell the vehicle, so they can't add years or miles.

My dealer gave me every other oil change for free as part of the sales deal.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
I got scammed into the Max care warranty. I have 30 more days to decide if I want to keep it. General consensus is-it's not worth the money. BUT I have read in some situations people have gotten lucky with something major and used it. I can imagine arguing out a claim since this is an "off road" vehicle and stuff is going to break. I did bring that up and he assured me I would be ok--ya ok.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Like most have said it is a personal choice. I think a normal car that you plan to keep for a long time would be worth it. The only thing about a Jeep though is unless you plan to keep it completely stock it is not a normal vehicle. Jeeps have this addiction to them to mod them and keep adding more mods. So a lot of normal warranty items will end up either being replaced with something better or is effected by the mods.

That said, one item that is great to have an extended warranty on is the transmission. Especially an automatic transmission. Rarely do motors fail but if they do a warranty is nice but automatic transmissions are another story. Many also list A/C because they can be costly too but is a A/C worth the cost of the warranty? But those three are the only reason to have an extended warranty.

On the other hand there was a story done on this once, and most financial analyst say they are not worth it. They say invest that money and if you need it, it's there drawing interest in the mean time. They said that extended warranties have become a huge cash cow for those that sell them.

So is it worth the peace of mind or is it not worth it? Again a personal choice. But if you don't, sit back that money in some type of investment/CD/or just a savings account just in case and then it still gives you a peace of mind that you have money there when you need it.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
rics1997 said:
Like most have said it is a personal choice. I think a normal car that you plan to keep for a long time would be worth it. The only thing about a Jeep though is unless you plan to keep it completely stock it is not a normal vehicle. Jeeps have this addiction to them to mod them and keep adding more mods. So a lot of normal warranty items will end up either being replaced with something better or is effected by the mods.

That said, one item that is great to have an extended warranty on is the transmission. Especially an automatic transmission. Rarely do motors fail but if they do a warranty is nice but automatic transmissions are another story. Many also list A/C because they can be costly too but is a A/C worth the cost of the warranty? But those three are the only reason to have an extended warranty.

On the other hand there was a story done on this once, and most financial analyst say they are not worth it. They say invest that money and if you need it, it's there drawing interest in the mean time. They said that extended warranties have become a huge cash cow for those that sell them.

So is it worth the peace of mind or is it not worth it? Again a personal choice. But if you don't, sit back that money in some type of investment/CD/or just a savings account just in case and then it still gives you a peace of mind that you have money there when you need it.
:thumb:

I read this after I bought into it.

I'm wanting to cancel but they have been good to me with my regular warranty concerns. last thing I wanna do is cancel it
and pissem off :(

·
Support Your Member
200 Posts
I get worried that without an extended warranty someone working on my car might decide to break something...... :eek:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Don't buy!! I've had several car salesman trying to sell me the extended warranty and/or "all parts covered," etc when buying vehicles. I'm sure they used the old line, "when something stops working, and it will, it's very expensive to repair." My reply everytime is, "maybe I shouldn't be purchasing a vehicle from you, if you don't even believe it will last for __ years." This always shuts them up so you can actually buy it at your agreed upon price. As someone previously said, the reason they offer this is because they make money, not you (in most every case.) Don't give them another dime of your hard earned money.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My dealer quoted me $2995 for the lifetime warranty which included oil changes. Sounded good but that was a lot of money to me so they offered me a 7 year warranty without the oil changes for $1300 so I went with that. Both have $100 deductables. I have 75 month financing and really just wanted to make sure I have coverage while I'm making payments. Once the Jeep payments are done, I can save that money for any future repairs. My plan is to have the Jeep paid for in 3 years but if not, I will have coverage beyond the factory warranty.

Also, with extended warranties, if you sell or trade the vehicle before your coverage time ends, you can get a refund of the unused time. I am getting a refund back from the exteneded warranty that I had purchased on my '08 which was traded in for the '12.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My dealer quoted me $2995 for the lifetime warranty which included oil changes. Sounded good but that was a lot of money to me so they offered me a 7 year warranty without the oil changes for $1300 so I went with that. Both have $100 deductables. I have 75 month financing and really just wanted to make sure I have coverage while I'm making payments. Once the Jeep payments are done, I can save that money for any future repairs. My plan is to have the Jeep paid for in 3 years but if not, I will have coverage beyond the factory warranty.

Also, with extended warranties, if you sell or trade the vehicle before your coverage time ends, you can get a refund of the unused time. I am getting a refund back from the exteneded warranty that I had purchased on my '08 which was traded in for the '12.
I didn't even realize they would finance that long! I'd just be extra cautious about anything extra they are selling you. Again, it's in their best interest, not yours. If I don't trust the vehicle will hold up, I'm not buying it to begin with.

·
Registered
262 Posts
First of all there are extensive threads on this topic. Thanks to Pat at Fields I learned that the dealer cost on the Maxi care Lifetime $100 deductible is $1700. So I did not buy it from the same dealer I bought my Jeep. I waited 2 months and walked into my local Jeep dealer where I know they have excellent service. I offered them $2K for the lifetime Maxicare and they said sure! Why not make $300 for some paper work. So the catch is that if I sell my vehicle I can't transfer or sell the maxi care (except for Florida). So the only way I make out is by keeping the vehicle forever... Yes, I said forever... I will never have to pay for a major mechanical or electrical issue (engine, tranny, Radio etc) except the $100 deductible per visit (not per issue).

So if your like me and plan on keeping your Jeep for a very long time, then offer them $2K and never have to worry about huge expenses down the line like 100K miles or 200K miles etc..

Good Luck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts