Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it lifetime of ownership or lifetime of component?

The electronics worry me that their lifetime could be considered say for example 12 years, just like computer components. So if fails in 14 years, FCA won't replace it because they consider it past it's life expectancy. Would they install a refurbished piece?

Is there anything in the contract language?

Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
FCA dealers do sell factory reconditioned parts to augment their supply chain. I am pretty certain that the contract language states that they will repair or replace failed components. A refurbished or reconditioned part would probably be considered to be a repaired part.
My contract is packed away for our move or I would dig it out and review for you..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lifetime of ownership............ Yes, a refurbished part is at their option, if available.

From my reading and understanding of the contract, I agree with this.

The service agreement ensures that the device will work, even if they have to replace the same part multiple times over the years. I do not recall any stipulation that the parts they use be brand new or even genuine Mopar/Chrysler, and if you think about it, it wouldn't make sense for them to restrict themselves in that fashion. Who knows what parts will be available and from who in 10 years?

·
Registered
730 Posts
We have the lifetime warranty, and so far we have had three issues. All three cost less than the $100 deductible. Latest one is our tps in one of the tires quit. Our local repair shop replaced the sensor for $66.30 where the local Jeep dealership wanted the $100 deductible.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts

The electronics worry me that their lifetime could be considered say for example 12 years, just like computer components. So if fails in 14 years, FCA won't replace it because they consider it past it's life expectancy. Would they install a refurbished piece?

Thanks
Where did you get a "lifetime" warranty from? I can't imagine Jeep is going to replace electronics that fail after 12 years. Did I miss a warranty option?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Where did you get a "lifetime" warranty from? I can't imagine Jeep is going to replace electronics that fail after 12 years. Did I miss a warranty option?

There's a lifetime Maxcare warranty that you can purchase for I believe on the order of $2500 if your Jeep is pretty new. I think technically it's maybe a "service contract" and not a warranty.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
It's a Mopar backed Service Contract. I got one on the wife's WK2 Trailhawk because of all the electronics and I'm not planning on buying another one for a very long time. Mine cost right around $2700 with the $100 deductable 2 years ago.

It covers pretty much everything except consumables and is "lifetime" unless the cost of repair exceeds the value of the vehicle, in which they will then pay you the value of the vehicle and terminate the contract. May take it 20 years to have that happen, may take 10, just depends on what breaks.

Because I bought a NC contract, it's actually transferrable to once for a $50 admin fee.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It’s a bumper to bumper warranty, so they’ll replace electronics or hard parts if they fail. If you keep the Jeep long enough, I don’t see how an owner could lose money on the deal.

·
Premium Member
6,907 Posts

Check with Tom and ask him about the Mopar MaxCare lifetime bumper-to-bumper. Lowest price you find for it anywhere. I bought one from him for our 2013 JK 5 years ago.

Tom Winkels
Hayes Jeep
Kalamazoo, Mi 49001
269-488-2080
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts

Thanks
Download a copy, it’s well written and details what’s covered and what’s not. Electronics is the primary reason I purchased the Maxcare Lifetime.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
False. I've seen powertrain warranties. But the Maxcare Lifetime Warranty is bumper to bumper and has additional benefits as well (hotel/towing/rental/etc).
It may not be false. I believe the 07 JK's came with a lifetime powertrain warranty. The catch was that at the 5 year mark, it needed to be inspected by the dealer. If one did all the recommended maintenance and had it inspected at 5 years, they are good.

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
It may not be false. I believe the 07 JK's came with a lifetime powertrain warranty. The catch was that at the 5 year mark, it needed to be inspected by the dealer. If one did all the recommended maintenance and had it inspected at 5 years, they are good.
And some dealers offer this with caveats of course.

·
Super Moderator
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check with Tom and ask him about the Mopar MaxCare lifetime bumper-to-bumper. Lowest price you find for it anywhere. I bought one from him for our 2013 JK 5 years ago.

Tom Winkels
Hayes Jeep
Kalamazoo, Mi 49001
269-488-2080
[email protected]
Thanks, I did contact him. But I found it cheaper elsewhere

·
Registered
526 Posts
Allow me to suggest that all READ the document.. look for the wording or verbage.. "Service Contract" or "Warranty" or "Protection Plan". Many sales departments use incorrect wording when speaking (Selling) the product.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It’s a bumper to bumper warranty, so they’ll replace electronics or hard parts if they fail. If you keep the Jeep long enough, I don’t see how an owner could lose money on the deal.
That's the thought that many people have and that's where they get you. As others have said if the cost of repairs are higher then the value of the jeep the contract is over. Let's say 10 years from now your jeep has 200,000 miles on it and is not in the best shape. You blow the engine and take it in expecting to get a new engine. Lord knows what it might cost to replace a 3.6 ten years from now but if it's more then the blue book value of your jeep your not getting a new engine. And if this is the first major component that you have tried to replace then you didn't get your money's worth. I negotiated 2 extended warranties into used car deals. One I used after a tranny blew out and it got replaced for $100.00.
I've heard people buy these warranties thinking they can keep the vehicle for the next 30 years and get everything replaced as it fails, that's not the case.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts