Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The victim: 1999 TJ 4.0L 5 speed 88K miles: Warn 8000# winch weight in front.

Jeep has a 1" body lift. 15X8 alloy wheels currently running 31 X 10.5 tires.

Useage: 99% of the time: Cruising the street on pretty weekends with the top off. 1% of the time: Driving down the beach or down the trail to a fave sand bar.

Almost never mudding - definitely not rock crawling or anything like that.

I want to upgrade to 33 X 12.5 tires for the look and the footprint in sand.

If I make any change to the ride I would like it to be SOFTER rather than stiffer. (I have factory shocks, coils, bump stops etc and will gladly change any to suit a better ride)

I would like to suspension lift this jeep just enough to make sure I have the clearance & ability to steer without rubbing. I would prefer NOT to need a step ladder to get in.

Has anyone lifted enough TJ's to know how few inches of suspension lift I can get away with and what the best kit is? I would really rather not to have to rework the shifting arms etc...unless its just the right way to do it.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I'm no expert but I clear 33s just fine on three inch lift (no body lift). As for the rims you'll need four inches of back spacing

·
Registered
278 Posts
I believe you could do a 2"BB in addition to your 1" BL and clear 33's. If all you do is cruise the street and the beaches I don't think you would have much rubbing issues. But as stated above you will need the proper backspacing so you don't rub on your control arms.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
If you change the springs and shocks I can almost guarantee the ride will become stiffer, there really isn't anything softer than the stock suspension. Get a flat fender kit and cut out the rear of the tub and slap on bigger tires if you want to keep your squishy suspension.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright sounds great. I dont know what my back spacing is already...but it is significant. With 31 X 10.5's I had to add the 4" fender flares to cover them.

Thanks for the great advice...Think I will go 3" for safety.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I just got a 2.1/2 inch lift done . I went with Rough Country and kind of like it . I,v only drove it about 30 miles with the lift and don,t really see a difference in ride . I have BF 32.11.5/15 tires and could run 33,s easy .

I would not go any high then you just have to . The high you go the more things you need to do to make it ride/steer . 2 inches or even 2.1/2 inches don,t need much of anything else .

BANGER

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
if you dont plan to offroad A TON.. id go with a 2'' bb from rubicon express with their monotube shocks..

as for rims.. running a 3.75'' bs'd rim with 33x12.5 will work just fine..

and dont ditch the bl

·
Knows a couple things...
49,371 Posts
Since you have aftermarket wheels, no worries on the backspacing question. However, backspacing is backwards from how you have it. The more backspacing the wheel has, the more INTO the wheelwell the well is positioned. The factory wheels have the most backspacing of all, they have 5.25 to 5.5" of backspacing.

Your (and pretty much all) aftermarket wheels have a reduced amount of backspacing when compared to the factory wheels, probably 3.75" or so, which causes the wheels to stick out further.

Lift-wise, for 33" tires, 4" is the recommended amount of lift or clearance above the tires. Since you already have a 1" body lift, you could go for a 3" suspension lift. A 2" budget boost lift may however provide enough clearance for your particular needs which don't involve a lot of serious offroading like rockcrawling. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts