Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 jk 2 Door
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a teraflex lift and shocks installed a few months back. Only went 2.5” because I don’t do crazy off roading and don’t want to look like an oompah loompah climbing in my Jeep every day.
Anyway, I feel like I’m hitting the front bump stops pretty frequently. Traveling at 5mph on dirt roads I’ll hit some ruts and potholes and I’m surprised everytime it bottoms out the suspension. I feel like if I was coming down hard that would be normal, but I’m questioning if these springs are just soft and better suited for a pogo stick.
Do y’all hit your bump stops during light-medium off roading at slow speed?

·
Super Moderator
8,029 Posts
How much space do you have between the bumpstop and pad? Perhaps the springs are sagging to where the bumpstops are already too close to the pads.
Or some lifts have excessive bumpstop extensions.

·
Super Moderator
8,029 Posts
I don’t know why this one is sideways. Tried to repost like 5 times… refuses to cooperate
You did not, it appears, install the stock bumpstop jounces into the bumpstop extensions from TeraFlex. The stock rubber jounces, those things that act as a bumper for the bumpstops, are supposed to be installed into the black cups that got installed inside the front springs to extend the bumpstops. Without the rubber jounce in the bumpstop equation it would likely make the bumpstop hitting seem over abrupt. There should be a rubber bumper in that equation.
That said, the TeraFlex bumpstop extensions for the front suspension are 2.75". That is a lot of bumpstop extension for a 2.5" lift, you would actually loose 0.25" of suspension travel running those. You may want to compare the comressed length of the stock shocks to the compressed length of the new shocks and run bumpstop extensions that thick. You can use something as simple as hockey pucks for this, each hockey puck is 1". likely two of them would suffice. But measure and see. You only need enough bumpstop extension to keep the shocks from bottoming.
And install those rubber bumpers, the jounces. Whatever you do, install those. Running without them is not good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just a quick correction that each hockey puck is 1". I installed this lift with different shocks but everything else the same. I decided not to use the Teraflex bumpstop extension because as @GuzziMoto said, you lose travel and they seem unnecessarily big. I left stock yellow jounces in place and instead installed two hockey pucks on each side for a 2" bumpstop extension. That being said, I only hit my bumpstops during max flex where I'm stuffing the tire into the wheel well, so it isn't common for this lift during mild offroading. Maybe it is the shocks, if you used the Teraflex ones?

·
Super Moderator
8,029 Posts
Just a quick correction that each hockey puck is 1". I installed this lift with different shocks but everything else the same. I decided not to use the Teraflex bumpstop extension because as @GuzziMoto said, you lose travel and they seem unnecessarily big. I left stock yellow jounces in place and instead installed two hockey pucks on each side for a 2" bumpstop extension. That being said, I only hit my bumpstops during max flex where I'm stuffing the tire into the wheel well, so it isn't common for this lift during mild offroading. Maybe it is the shocks, if you used the Teraflex ones?
Your right. Typo on my part. I edited my post to correct the typo. Good catch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts