Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of my budget I have narrowed down my choices of lifts. I need some experienced help in which is the better kit because both are around the same $. The Zone has track bar but not control arms. The Rough C has the arms and not the track bar. I am going to add a separate steering stab kit either way.
Rough Country:

Attachments

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
what is your budget. honestly I wouldn't choose either of them. also a couple questions.

why lift? looks or are you going to wheel it? what size tires do you want to run?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I wouldn't choose either one also
Your best bet would be to save money if the funds are limited at this time or if you have it now dish out more money to invest it in a more reputable nicer riding suspension kit. You will definitely notice and appreciate the better suspension tuning they do on the pricier brands minus the price of course...haha

·
Registered
310 Posts
I agree with tabber, skip both. If money is tight, toss on a budget boost for now until your options open up a little.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what is the recommended lifts? at what price does a good one start at? I don't want huge tires either probably 33" tops like a AT 295/75/16 wanted a little lift to add some balance look and off road. Just the stock tires look so small and I'd like it a little higher. Ty for info
yes will be doing some off road (no moab type) live in FL ave off roading

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
given what you've described, a budget boost or leveling kit is all you need. you can fit 33s with properly backspaced wheels without a lift. with the budget boost you'll get a little extra clearance for those florida trails.

i don't have a ton of experience with budget boosts - TeraFlex is a great company to look into. daystar, and countless others as well. PM Kjeeper10, he would have a few recommendations for budget boosts. I know... Ken has a ton of jk geometry and lift knowledge.

by the way I'm in tampa.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
budget boost

I'm looking at them. It seems to me these are only spacers to extend the height using existing shocks and springs. That being said there can't be much diff in the materials. below is the teraflex for $350 and a RC for $180. I can understand quality issues and differences in things like shocks & springs but in this case does it make much dif? I just don't like paying for a name, $100 for levi jeans when the same material is in a $35 pair etc.
Teraflex should be the first one

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
^^^ I agree with Tabber02 on the budget boost lift idea, but if you do happen to dislike the ride for whatever reason you also have a $700-$900 Old Man Emu 2in. lift kit as an option

Another option would be the 1.5in lift springs from Rock Krawler and should ride like a cadillac being a triple rate coil

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
I'm looking at them. It seems to me these are only spacers to extend the height using existing shocks and springs. That being said there can't be much diff in the materials. below is the teraflex for $350 and a RC for $180. I can understand quality issues and differences in things like shocks & springs but in this case does it make much dif? I just don't like paying for a name, $100 for levi jeans when the same material is in a $35 pair etc.
Teraflex should be the first one
the difference is in the shock extensions. the RC shock extensions are terrible. i had to sort out a buddies. the TF kit is a lot better in that area. as far as the rest I don't have much input...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've been really happy with my zone 3" lift. It didn't come with a track bar though.

Ride greatly improved over stock and it's great for 35's.

I'm looking at rancho shocks to go with it now
So I can really dial in the ride qualify.

Idk for me I knew it wasn't the last lift id put on the jeep so I was comfortable with the price. Virtually any product out there has people telling you to pay for top of the line but I often find it's
Tough to justify the 2x, 3x,4x or whatever additional cost for the name brand. Particularly if you aren't off road a lot.

Any aftermarket lift will have better/ stronger components than stock.

Not saying aev or rubicon express or any of those aren't better kits but keep in mind what you could do with the extra $

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ty all for the input. I am thinking a smaller lift (under 4") isn't as critical as a large lift project in which case name brands or top brands may make a dif? Its not right that you have to be rich to do anything on a jeep. I have to balance projects like this with family to take care of. If I had to spend 1000's then alot of people like me would never be able to do anything other than ride around in a stock jeep. The input has made me re-thing though to look into a budget boost. Just more to think about. The Zone one is adv on CL for $570 in tampa by a outfit that installs them for $200. seemed like a good deal that is stretching my budget. I will watch for info here. great forum btw. Ohh Tampa guy I live in Spring Hill about 40 mile N of you. I am thinking of going on the April Jeep Jamberee in Louisiana closest one I can find.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have no experience with the Zone lift but can say that I recently road in a friends Jeep who had a RC spring lift and talk about a crappy ride. Worst ride of any vehicle I have ever been in.

I understand the tight money thing and if you just need to fit 33s I would go BB. RC is fine for that. My first Moab trip was on a RC BB and 33s. Then swap out components as you can until you get what you want. I finally have gotten around to that point and all I am lacking now is the front adjustable trac bar but its no biggie either without it.

If you are set on a spring lift, have you checked out Rock Krawler?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Ride is subjective IMO

There's too many variables
- coils
- shocks
- 2 door
- 4 door (wheelbase = better ride)
- Proper caster (missed with cheaper kits)
-Roll center (raised track bars)
- CA's/angles/bushings used.
-Obviously height. Higher the more components needed to dial it all In. 4" is about the limit where you really need to spend the money.
- tires/wider/load rating
- most important and often not considered
ROAD CONDITIONS .. Where you live.
The real test is driving over crappy roads.

I've said this before ... I don't buy into the "rides better than stock with xx lift" until I see what's been installed.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Yeah, I don't trust the "rides better than stock" statements either. I have ridden in some Jeeps that ride like crappy over-sprung trucks that bounce around and don't dampen on harsh pavement hits or rough roads. AEVs generally ride very well due to the brackets but I think Synergy springs are nicer. I think RC may make the worst lift ever, based on my experience. Go slow and research other lift kits. As far as springs go, I like Synergy and the new Rock Krawler springs. The AEV brackets are fantastic. I like Rokmen arms, Teraflex arms, and possibly the new RK joints.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Yeah, I don't trust the "rides better than stock" statements either. I have ridden in some Jeeps that ride like crappy over-sprung trucks that bounce around and don't dampen on harsh pavement hits or rough roads. AEVs generally ride very well due to the brackets but I think Synergy springs are nicer. I think RC may make the worst lift ever, based on my experience. Go slow and research other lift kits. As far as springs go, I like Synergy and the new Rock Krawler springs. The AEV brackets are fantastic. I like Rokmen arms, Teraflex arms, and possibly the new RK joints.
Add the Rancho brackets :thumb:
Still undecided on if I what to keep the brackets on with arms or not.
Can't wait to install the new RK coils.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
okay Im going to go ahead and disagree with most of you.

Rough country springs have come along way and zone are the same springs as BDS.

in a budget minded world you can get a decent lift for a very reasonable price and then as time and funds allow add the parts that didnt come with it in the first place.

Step 1. get the rough country 2.5 spring lift but upgrade to the series 2 kit. this will give you extended links and the rear track bar bracket. get it put on and drive it youll love it. you can go with extensions on the shocks or op for rough countrys shocks. both are good.

at 2.5 you DO NOT need control arms.

an adjustable front track bar will be highly recommended if you get any flightyness after the lift. some will some wont.

at this point you have a decent lift basis.
after you have decided what shock you will run then bump stops come into play.
rears i go back to RC. fronts i use cheap hockey pucks.

ive installed 20+ RC budget boosts and they are all running around with out issues and preform very well offroad. its a good place to start as you learn your jeep. once youve learned how to drive it and what you will actually be doing with your rig you can fine tune the suspension.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
if all you're looking to clear is 33s, you really don't need to modify your suspension at all. maybe a level for looks. doesn't sound like a 3" lift is a good use of your money. unless you're going with 35" tires.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After all this Im looking at the 2.5 range easier cheaper than I can put $ into good 33: tires is all I want. I want better look/off rd/performance balance. It seems once you get into 35' and lg you mpg goes way down I need to keep that balanced sine I use it for commute most of the time but want more than stock for off rd performance

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
if all you're looking to clear is 33s, you really don't need to modify your suspension at all. maybe a level for looks. doesn't sound like a 3" lift is a good use of your money. unless you're going with 35" tires.
Agree and also with Lee Indy (for the most part)

RC makes prob one of the better BB's with the spacers being metal.
Control arms at 2.5" (no you don't need them) but nice for a little caster bump. Another option is drop brackets.

Track bar - not at 2.5" RC. Now if we're talking RK on a 2 door. Different story.
2.5" of ACTAUL height. No but will help tighten up the front end and prevent DW.

The rear will probably be a drop bracket for the TB. This is perfectly fine for axle center. A upgrade would be axle side. Raising roll center in the rear helps handling. Again .... Not a deal breaker at 2.5 of ACTAUL lift.

If anybody is installing lots of weight ie bumpers, winch, tire carrier, armor, etc. Might be best to choose another lift/coil

KJ

1 - 20 of 35 Posts