Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this jeep with a 4 to 4.5 in Spring under lift, i do not know what brand it is,
my question or comment is, that the springs are really stiff, IS this normal...

I had a samurai that I had YJ springs on and it road great.... Could it have the wrong shocks on it?? Just looking to make it softer or better.... It is way to harsh....

Thanks 1992 YJ, SPUA 2.5 / 4-4.5 lift on 30's

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
do you know how recently the lift was installed? if it's somewhat new it might soften up a bit in the future. also you could check the torque on the shackles and frame mounts, if its over 50 or 60lbs/ft. loosen them and flex the suspension ie. stand on the bumpers and jump up and down then re torque to around 50lbs/ft.

·
Registered
374 Posts
X2 on that. I recently bought my YJ and it road like I was sitting on the axles.Done as tigerblood says and lowered tire air pressure. MADE a BIG difference.Good Luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks to be kinda new... Shocks not so much.... I will check the torque settings... I think i need to add a rear tire and maybe build a heaver tire carier, Just to get a little weight....
Thanks

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I doubt it is the shocks from the wau you described it, but if they are still suspect, just un-bolt the bottom of each shock, and pull them to the side and drive a short distance to see.
I aggree with loosening the shackles. This is a way too common issue when people install a lift. Tightening the shakles is the last thing you do after all the tires are on and are ready to test-drive. Thry that and let us know :thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Once you get the shackles figured out start looking at air pressure, the YJ is not that heavy and I found by dropping 2lbs a day (from 35) that 28lbs was great for my ride.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok this thread made me want to check the torque on my shackles. I didnt really have any stiffness issues lol,( not anymore than jeeps always have) but i got curious. Well any ways im reading only 20lbs! Can it be torqued to low. Again ive never had problems, i was thinkin of goin up to 50 60 lbs but i dont want to introduce stiffness, thanx

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, So I checked the shackles... WOW If I had to guess they were close to 120+ Ft Lb's...set them correctly and lowered the tire pressure from 36 to 29... I just have not had the time to take it out and try it..... I also had the wrong Serpintine belt on it, It was way short and was causing a really bad whine..... Thought I had a bearing going out...
Thanks For the Help Guys.
Brad

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE;;; Yes, It was the shackles being so tight, It road so much better than before....
I like it when it ends up being a simple fix....

Thanks Brad

·
Registered
135 Posts
1v6pony said:
UPDATE;;; Yes, It was the shackles being so tight, It road so much better than before....
I like it when it ends up being a simple fix....

Thanks Brad
Right on good for u Brad, what did u torque dem shackles to after all?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts