Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be tough....

I bought my jeep (2007 JK) with an existing lift. First jeep for me so I learned the hard way. It was sold to me by a dealer who claimed it had a 3.5" lift. Over time, examining all of the parts and such, I found out it is a Skyjacker brand (yeh, I know). Anyway, I'm seriously due new shocks and need to match them to the lift height. I've tried to verify the lift height for a while and have found conflicting signs. For instance, the*bump*stops*have a label showing 2". The springs have markings that say 2.5". I've asked a few jeep guys I'm friends with and they tell me "You've got at least a 3" lift".*

Is there a almost fool proof method to determine how much lift I currently have?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,506 Posts
This might be tough....

I bought my jeep (2007 JK) with an existing lift. First jeep for me so I learned the hard way. It was sold to me by a dealer who claimed it had a 3.5" lift. Over time, examining all of the parts and such, I found out it is a Skyjacker brand (yeh, I know). Anyway, I'm seriously due new shocks and need to match them to the lift height. I've tried to verify the lift height for a while and have found conflicting signs. For instance, the*bump*stops*have a label showing 2". The springs have markings that say 2.5". I've asked a few jeep guys I'm friends with and they tell me "You've got at least a 3" lift".*

Is there a almost fool proof method to determine how much lift I currently have?

Thanks
2.5 on the springs is likely your answer. The bump stops can change size based on the shocks you have and the tire size. It's also very difficult to know if you have additional spring spacers.

You can get these measurements and it will help us get closer to identifying how much lift you actually have.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same problem with my preowned 2011 JKUS. Measure the distance (D) from the ground/floor to the underside of rocker panel (not the pinch seam). Lift (inches) = D - (18 + (wheel height - 32)/2).

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Here is s fool proof way to measure how high you lift is. Go to a Jeep dealer and find a stock Jeep. Measure from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender on the stock Jeep. Now take the same measurement on your Jeep. The difference in the measurement is how much of a lift you have. A suspension lift changes the distance of the axle to the frame, which the body is mounted to. If you have larger tires, then you cannot measure from the ground to a part of the Jeep body because the diameter of the tires is different than stock.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The stock height (D) of the rocker panel (body panel below the door(s)) is 18" and the stock wheel diameter is 32". Therefore, Lift (inches) = D - (18 + (wheel height - 32)/2). My D is 23" with 35" tires. 23" - (18" + (35" - 32")/2) = 3.5".

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
2.5 on the springs is likely your answer. The bump stops can change size based on the shocks you have and the tire size. It's also very difficult to know if you have additional spring spacers.

You can get these measurements and it will help us get closer to identifying how much lift you actually have.

Every time this is posted I forget about it and never measure. Well this time I did it. Front is 3.125 and rear is 2.64. And considering I am really heavy I am very happy. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts