Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting a 2.5 inch lift and was going to go for the 2.5" budget boost and TRY to install it myself. I'm not a mechanic, but I am literate and can follow instructions.

But from what i understand the 2.5" budget boost is really a 'spacer lift' in that it's just adding a spacer to the top of the shock. I guess the plus is you retain the stock ride quality?

But if i spend a little more money and get the 2.5" suspension lift i basically get longer shocks and longer springs. I guess the perk of this over the BB would be more articulation, but I'm not sure how that would affect the daily driver drive quality.

The jeep will be mall crawler for 99% of the time, so i'm inclined to get the BB, but don't want to kick myself down the road if i should have gotten the suspension lift.

guidance?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My experience was to keep reading on this forum and learn from the discussions on various threads. There are lots of options out there for Lift Kits & can get confusing especially when you're new to this as I was! That being said the Lift Kit I selected was the AEV 2.5" Sport Lift & The JK Front control arms Drop Brackets Did the work myself (I'm 58) and 10 hours over 2 days I was done Have to say I was pleased having pulled it off :) Jeep handled great & the Lift was higher in my estimation than 2.5 inches
Bottom line for me was Quality of the parts & the company support was top notch as well!

Next:
4.56 Gears
17/9 Rock Star 2 Wheels
35 inch Tires All Terrain Tires
Change the Speakers to Kickers

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good deal! Thank you for the advice. I see from your tag you re-geared to 4.56....did you do that yourself as well. That looks a bit more complex then a lift.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Gears I ordered from 4WS.COM out of MO.
A Differential Shop in Tulsa is doing the Labor
($750) & Yes that is beyond my capability to do as you need more than "basic" hand tools to do the work!
You'll find there is more to just Lifting a Jeep & running Bigger Tires Bottom line is take you're time & research the aspects of what it is you want to do! Sometimes one thing directly affects the other Good Luck with your build

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
A bb or spacer lift is a poly or metal spacer that sits on top of the coils. This is what gives you lift.
A quality kit will include either new longer shocks or shock extensions. With lift you lose down travel. The extensions allow the lost down travel.
Also bumpstop extensions and longer sway bar links.
Look at the Teraflex 2.5" bb ... Good setup.

Read through this. I should have mad a note about budget boosts. Maybe I will now ... Thanks
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/newbys-guide-to-lifting-your-jk-298665.html

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Good deal! Thank you for the advice. I see from your tag you re-geared to 4.56....did you do that yourself as well. That looks a bit more complex then a lift.
You probably can't do the gears yourself. Installing them isn't rocket science but getting them set up is, or close to it.

If you really are 99% mall crawling, get the spacers. You retain stock ride and you get an actual 2.5 inches of lift instead of the 3-4.5 inches a "2.5-inch" lift typically gives you. You can use drop brackets for your brake lines, spacers for the exhaust, if you even need them, and you won't have to worry about the drive shaft and all that. You can fit 35 inch tires. You will probably rub if you do any serious wheeling but you'd be good to go on pavement and most dirt roads and easy trails.

You'll need longer shocks, everyone will recommend Rancho 9000XL's. You'll need to recalibrate your speedometer and auto transmission (if you have one) for the new tires. And you'll need wheels with more back spacing or wheel spacers. You will want new tires with a lift. The stock tires, even Rubicon 32's will look too small.

That being said, if you ever plan on or think you might someday plan on off-roading, get the spring lift for a few hundred more. A little more work and you'll need a few extra parts (like control arm drop brackets to get your ride back - might even need those on the spacer lift if the handling is bothersome) but you'll be good to go for some real off-roading.

Go read a bunch of threads and figure out what all that means and then you can make an informed choice. What I say or anyone else says might be sound advice but that doesn't mean it's what's right for you. With great Jeeps comes great responsibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts