Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Lift install time. Any advice?

932 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr.P_0_0_P 
#1 ·
After weeks of debating and ordering, the day is finally coming. Installing 2.5 Teraflex coil lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, Rancho geo brackets, Teraflex monster track bar on my 13 JKU Rubi. Already have HD carrier and super chips tuner. Mammoth rims and 35's planned after the lift. I'm pretty good mechanically with engines- can change timing belts with no concern. But I'm not experienced with suspension outside of replacing shocks. And using jack stands makes me nervous. Any words of advise or encouragement? I've watched the TF video enough to have it memorized, but still anxious. Thanks as always!

#2 ·
Just take your time and be safe. Remember to make sure the brake/abs lines are free before dripping the axles. Dont forget the e-brake hard line bracket in the rear, bolted to the underside.

Looking at all the parts is overwhelming. The "lift" meaning coils are installed with stands under the frame. Once the coils are in EVERYTHING else is installed at ride height (tires on and back on the ground)
Focus on the coil front and rear then put the tires back on. Shocks, geo brackets, track bars or brackets, etc ALL can be installed in any order. I see people trying to install shocks, geo brackets with the jeep up in the air :nonono:

Dont forget to loosen all 16 CA bolts prior to putting the coils in. After the geo brackets are in torque all on the ground. Very important step that should be done 2.5+

Hope that helps a bit :)

#3 ·
I just ordered the 2.5 Teraflex coil lift, Rancho 9000 shocks tonight also. Been some time, but did lifts on Fords a few years back. Not that hard at all, just unbolting and rebolting. I watched the video also and looks pretty straight forward. Don't think my parts will all be here this weekend, so I am planning on next weekend.

Just keep safety in mind while you are under it. Once you have it lifted and jack stands in place (tires still on) get on the bumper and jump up and down to see how stable it is. If you are breaking loose some rusty bolts, you will probably shake it that much. I also make a habit of putting the tires I took off laying down under the frame somewhere with a 2x4 across it. If by some unlikely chance the thing falls, at least I got about 12" of space.

#7 ·
I also make a habit of putting the tires I took off laying down under the frame somewhere with a 2x4 across it. If by some unlikely chance the thing falls, at least I got about 12" of space.
I do that as well...easy extra insurance.

I went to Harbor Freight and picked up an electric impact wrench and metric impact sockets. It was a good investment at ~80 for breaking track bar bolts, control arm bolts, and shock bolts.

Have a couple of ratchet straps. I used them to center the axle went reinstalling the track bar and when reinstalling the control arm bolts for the brackets. The axle moved just enough where the holes didn't line up. The straps help move that to proper location.

#5 ·
When i installed my lift, i had to use coil spring compressors in order to get them back into place (only bc i didnt disconnect every single thing from the axle). Def gonna want some extra hands, watch out for your drive shaft hitting the exhaust, hopefully you picked up some exhaust spacers for that as well.

#6 ·
the best advise I got, and I did mine one wheel at a time, was to drive up on a couple of 2x6's on the opposite side make it simple to get the old spring out and the new one in

#9 ·
Make sure you have a decent 1/2" breaker bar. I have one that's 18" long. Those control arm bolts couldn't be broken loose with my impact...

Also, since you're working one axle at a time, make sure you have something to chock your tires on the opposite axle. They are also helpful while doing your control arm brackets to keep the axle from shifting much. Remember to do one side at a time on the arms.

Joe

#10 ·
You got it easy. Cake walk.

It gets hard when you have to drill holes allover the axle for limiter straps and coil spring retainers (stupis teraflex lift). Also getting control arm bolts back in. O reccomend the otherbguys suggestion of a coil spring compressor. If you can rent or borrow an air actuated one you wont have to disconnect the driveshaft and control arms. Saves a ton of time i bet.

Took me 12 hours to do mine. :( all because i didnt have a jack to hold the free axle up high on a lift. So i used a lift andbonly picked it up as high as a floor jack could go. Never again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.