Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just ordered the rough country 4" lift and wanted to know what tools i need to install it because im gonna have to my a trip to the discount auto parts and rent some tools.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
plenty of pb blaster. ;) Start hitting those bolts ASAP.

·
Administrator
12,635 Posts
pitman arm puller, coil pring compressor would be the first 2 to jump out at me.
why would he need a pitman arm puller.. one should use an adjustable track bar vs a new pitman on the TJ.

·
Administrator
12,635 Posts
Bad things happen to TJ with you use and dropped pitman arm, spend the money and get a front adj track bar. Life will be much nicer.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
a drop pitman isn't needed. (edit-posted before i saw 4jeepn's post...same time)

make sure you have metric and standard sockets and ratchets along with wrenches.. definitely pb plaster along with floor jack and at least 2 jackstands. you'll also need a T-55 torx bit to disconnect the sway bar. you can use a bottlejack between the frame and axle to push it away to get the coil in.

·
Registered
678 Posts
You just need basic tools the instructions should tell you what you need. Make sure you have a hammer so you can get the stock swaybar end links out they are a pain. You shouldn't nee to place a bottle jack between the axle once the sway bar is disconnected it will droop further. And you can also disconnect the track bar I would use at least 21in jack stands.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
You just need basic tools the instructions should tell you what you need. Make sure you have a hammer so you can get the stock swaybar end links out they are a pain. You shouldn't nee to place a bottle jack between the axle once the sway bar is disconnected it will droop further. And you can also disconnect the track bar I would use at least 21in jack stands.

i needed a bottlejack and my sway bar was disconnected. im sure i could have jacked one side up though to get some droop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can get a tie-rod end puller (like a pitman arm puller, just smaller), makes removing the swaybar links easier. Might be time to look at quick disconnects

Rybo

·
Registered
678 Posts
i needed a bottlejack and my sway bar was disconnected. im sure i could have jacked one side up though to get some droop.
Did you use spring compressors BIGJEEP? I think that is the biggest thing everyone forgot to mention. You're gonna need them or you'll be doin weird stuff like BIGJEEP....haha

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kk

·
Registered
678 Posts
Whats KK?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Did you use spring compressors BIGJEEP? I think that is the biggest thing everyone forgot to mention. You're gonna need them or you'll be doin weird stuff like BIGJEEP....haha
if i had used spring compressors i wouldn't have had to use the bottlejack.

you've never heard of this method? works well. this method was even used in the installation instructions for a coil lift.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Nope never heard of that. Spring compressors sound easier, and less prone to causing damage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts