Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in southern Delaware and have gotten two quotes from specialty shops that do jeep upgrades. For middle of the line Fuel or Black Rhino alloy Wheels, Nitto Grapplers and a decent lift kit I am getting budgetary quotes from $5,500 to $6,500. Appears to be about half of that for labor and the other half for parts.

Is there a reasonable way to buy wheels and tires from black rhino or fuel and tires from Nitto and put them on yourself through a local tire dealer? Are lift parties still a way to prepare the Jeep ahead of time?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Not sure who you know, or what lifts you’re looking at, or what you’re planning on doing with your jeep…….. but you can order tires online, and pay a small amount for mounting/balancing at a local shop.

I would urge against 20” wheels, but it’s your jeep

·
Registered
09, 2 dr, soft top sport
159 Posts
17 or 18 inch wheels will be cheaper than 20 inch, better for off road too. pretty sure the tires would be cheaper at 17 inch than 20. What is a Decent Lift kit called? made by? there is a wide variety in lifts and prices. a basic lift kit shouldnt take a qualified person no more than 8 hours to put on. and swapping tires isnt a difficult job. maybe offer them 1500 in labor.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
our club still does wrenching parties but we wouldnt for 20" wheels. 🤣 joking of course
find a local club and ask about wrenching parties.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've ordered the wheels/tires for my last 2 Jeeps online (www.wheelhero.com). Put XD's on my prior Jeep, but have Black Rhinos on my JTR. They're shipped mounted, balanced, nitrogen filled by FedEx freight to my door. Call them, and they'll usually take a little more off the online price. I haven't been able to beat their prices through any local wheel/tire shop in my area. I just install them myself, and do my own rotations.

17" or 18" tires are usually easier to come by on short notice than 20's, especially if it's an emergency replacement.

Installed my last 2 lift kits myself by bribing friends with free food. Great way to hang out, stuff your face, and wrench on your Jeep.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure who you know, or what lifts you’re looking at, or what you’re planning on doing with your jeep…….. but you can order tires online, and pay a small amount for mounting/balancing at a local shop.

thank you for your feedback. please give me a little more advice on why not 20” wheels. Driving will be always on roads and sand. No off-reading. Lift kit will be from Rough Country

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beatrice: thanks for your reply. Suspension kit will be from Rough Country. please give me a little more advice on why not twenty inch wheels. Thanks

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
20” won’t cause you issues if you keep it on the road…….. looks silly on a jeep in my opinion, but off-road is where you hit problems.

It’s a lot easier and cheaper to find tires in a 17” or 18” size though……

Rough Country lifts are junk. If this is your daily driver, or otherwise, I would never buy a cheap lift. There are many budget friendly options, don’t resort to RC.

Sounds like an expensive jeep too….. wait if you must, but do it right the first time vs regrets and more money later

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Tires are part of the cushion in the suspension system. 20" wheels means less side wall on the tire and usually higher air pressure in the tire. Harder tire transfers more impact into the rest of the suspension which equals rougher ride.

·
Retired Moderator
103,034 Posts
Yep, you will have a rougher ride with the 20’s. 17’s are your best bet for price, ride, and appearance.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I said it would be “fine” as long as it stayed on the road, but they are both correct……. 20’s will be very rough for every little bump you hit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all. Your life experiences with Jeeps are invaluable and your willingness to take the time to share is deeply appreciated. If Rough Country lifts are not particularly recommended, do you have an alternative suggestion for a Jeep that will only be road driven?

·
Super Moderator
11,737 Posts
A few months ago I spent $4,000 on a Mopar 2-inch lift & installation ($2,000), five 17-inch Quadratec wheels ($800), and five 35-inch AT tires ($1,200).

Rough Country used to have a great reputation back in the days of YJs and XJs, but they have fallen behind the times. They are now considered a low-end brand. I certainly wouldn’t pay $6,500 for a Rough Country lift.

Most popular with JLs appear to be Mopar 2-inch and AEV 2.5 inch lifts. Shops usually charge 5-7 hours for labor. Some Jeep dealers are also AEV dealers.

Here’s a thread on lift recommendations for Jeeps used as a daily driver: My DD and Moderate Trail Lift Recommendation

I agree with comments about sticking to 17 or 18 inch wheels; 20-inch tires just make an “off-road” vehicle look dorky.

Quadratec is my go-to place for Jeep wheels. They offer a great selection, good prices, friendly service, free shipping and easy returns. Any of these wheels will allow you to mount 35-inch tires without rubbing Jeep Alloy Wheels | Quadratec. If you send them a PM they will give you an additional 5% off for being a forum member.

Discount Tire is my go-to place for tires. The offer low prices, free rotations, rebalancing and repairs, and friendly service. I don’t know if they are in a Delaware, though. Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person

I’d recommend all-terrain tires; they will do everything you need and more, and look good doing it. BFG KO2 remains the best-selling truck tire; it is an excellent all-around, all-weather, all-terrain tire. GoodYear DuraTrac has become quite popular. I have General Grabber ATXs at the moment and am very happy with them. I’d rate them on par with KO2 for 20% less money. Falken Wildpeak AT3W has also become quite popular and gets positive reviews consistently.

Good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Beatrice: thanks for your reply. Suspension kit will be from Rough Country. please give me a little more advice on why not twenty inch wheels. Thanks
Stay far far AWAY from Rough Country, I also see no way that a lift kit from RC and even 20 inch tires (again, go 17 or 18) would be $6k, you need to find some better shops, even if you need to drive a few hours..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you all. Your life experiences with Jeeps are invaluable and your willingness to take the time to share is deeply appreciated. If Rough Country lifts are not particularly recommended, do you have an alternative suggestion for a Jeep that will only be road driven?
Billstein, AEV, ARB/Old Man Emu, Teraflex, JKS, Mopar, are what you should be checking out, stay away from the cheap stuff like RC and Skyjacker

1 - 15 of 15 Posts