Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the Wrangler Community and have a 2015 4-door Willys with P245/75R17 tires.

I am looking for a Lift kit that will not be very expensive ($300-$600) and will give be about a 2.0-2.5 lift and will give me a ride as good if not better as the stock.

I mostly drive in the city and sometimes go off road in the weekend, although nothing extreme (dirt roads, small rivers, etc.).

What do you recommend? A lift kit that has everything I need or should I just get a spacer kit?

I would appreciate the help!

Thank you,

·
Super Moderator
10,654 Posts
A 2.5-inch Teraflex Budget Boost. They go for $300-$400 plus installation.

I've been running them for years and never had any issues. You give up some articulation compared to a full lift, but you will never be able to tell.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Rubicon express has a very nice 2.5 kit with shocks for under 600.00.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Those are like 31.5 inch tires? You do not need any lift. Do you plan on bigger tires? What size?

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Hello, I am new to the Wrangler Community and have a 2015 4-door Willys with P245/75R17 tires. I am looking for a Lift kit that will not be very expensive ($300-$600) and will give be about a 2.0-2.5 lift and will give me a ride as good if not better as the stock. I mostly drive in the city and sometimes go off road in the weekend, although nothing extreme (dirt roads, small rivers, etc.). What do you recommend? A lift kit that has everything I need or should I just get a spacer kit? I would appreciate the help! Thank you,
You should check out the Rancho 2" Sport lift with their RS9000XL shocks. It's a simple and cost effective lift that will give a great ride. Plus there is a rebate available right now on Rancho.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

I am not planning on changing the tires.

If I want to lift my Jeep do I NEED bigger tires? Since this is a 4 door model I have noticed that the belly drags and I wanted to do something about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I put a 2.5" rubicon express lift with the gas charged shocks on my jeep. Still rides really well. I would definitely recommend Rubicon Express. That's my opinion though.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

I am not planning on changing the tires.

If I want to lift my Jeep do I NEED bigger tires? Since this is a 4 door model I have noticed that the belly drags and I wanted to do something about it.
No, you don't need bigger tires.

·
Super Moderator
10,654 Posts
Bigger tires will increase clearance at the differential --which is the lowest point under the Jeep; and will give your tires more "bite" off-road.

However, doesn't sound like you need either of these.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
A lift will help with belly drag even with the same size tires, but if you are in places you are dragging your belly, you have to be hitting your differentials too (and lower control arms) since those are the lowest part of the Jeep. Some good skid plates and differential sliders/covers would also help.

Others who know more of the technical stuff - wont the OP have potential issues with backspace on a lift with the stock wheels, or have to run wheel spacers?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What worries me is the differential axles and the belly hitting rocks, trunks, etc. - should I just get as said above - skid plates and differential covers? If so, which ones?

Again, thank you for you patience as this is my first Jeep and am just learning.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
You have some factory skids now that should take a little beating. Not as much as the aftermarket stuff, but so long as you dont get crazy will buy you some time to upgrade them. If you have an auto, you have ZERO factory skid on your oil pan so maybe start with an oil skid and replace the factory ones as they get banged up. I have Rock Hard, but there are many others to pick from. Oil skid budget around $300-400. It is hard to hear the sound of metal factory skids clunking and crunching - but that is exactly what they are there for. Realize that sound isn't your rig breaking - it is your skids saving your rig from breaking. THEY ARE MEANT TO CRUNCH.

Differential covers and sliders are all over the place. Budget $100-200 per axle. Control arm skids are fairly cheap like $50 a set.

From your original post, you aren't doing anything hard core. Careful tire placement goes a long way as well. Put your tires up on high stuff rather than taking it down the middle on the belly and diff's.

So if I were you, I would do a cheap puck boost to lift the belly, diff covers/sliders and control arm skids since you aren't lifting the axles with bigger tires, and oil skid. That should be a good start. After a few runs inspect your factory skids and see which look most banged up - replace that next. And so on.

Just my two cents .

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
A good idea is crawl under your rig and spend some bonding time with its belly - and take some pictures. Where do you see the most scratches? Are the factory skids just scratched and dirty or bent and twisted? Is your diff cover rock rashed at bottom? Are lower control arm mounts scratched up? Note the wide open oil pan on the auto that I mentioned if you are auto. Your rig will tell you what it needs - just ask it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts