Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 tj and wondering what lift kit would be better to buy a 3"inch zone off-road or skyjacker 4 inch lift kit?

I've don't some research and not sure which one to purchase? I'm leaving towards the zone off-road if anyone could help me out that be great.

·
Registered
728 Posts
What size tires are you planning on running? What is your budget for a lift?

4" lift will require a SYE and new drive shaft. Also adjustable control arms.

Do some searching on here and you should get a lot of your questions answered.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have the zone 3 inch lift and it is great for them money. They also have a 4.25 inch kit which is a 3 inch lift and a 1.25 body lift and would let you get 33s on your jeep. When you go bigger then a 3 inch lift you'll need to buy and upgrade a lot of components to keep your jeep safe and for it to have good road manners. Also my jeep is a DD also.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Coming from one who had a 4" Skyjacker lift on the first time around, go with a Zone 3", or a Zone 4.25" combo lift. I was changing out the Skyjacker lift inside of a year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I'm wanting to get 33's on the jeep. Right now I have 31's on stock.

And with the zone 4.25 would I need to replace a lot of major things ? Like I would if I was getting a normal 4 inch lift without a body lift?

·
Registered
222 Posts
yes the zone 4.25 is a 3 inch suspension lift with a 1.25 inch body lift and a 1 inch motor mount lift. The motor mount lift corrects the drive line angles so you shouldn't need a transfer case drop. With a 4 inch suspension lift you will need or high possibility of needing a SYE and new drive shaft with adjustable control arms.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Okay, I'm wanting to get 33's on the jeep. Right now I have 31's on stock.

And with the zone 4.25 would I need to replace a lot of major things ? Like I would if I was getting a normal 4 inch lift without a body lift?
The 4.25" combo lift will work as it comes, but it is a really good idea to get a good adjustable front track bar to go with it instead of redrilling the track bar hole in the axle bracket, so you're looking at an additional $200 if you do that. TJ/LJ Jeep Wrangler Solid Chromoly Front Track Bar

If there is a little more money in the budget, the Ultimate kit at DPG that Skrow linked to, is even better. It's hard to beat OME quality, and it comes with two adjustable JKS track bars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay thank you, I've done some more research and we'll adding adjustable track bar is making a little much for my college budget.

If I get the 3" zone lift kit will I need the adjustable track bar with it?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes it comes with a relocation bracket which is what I used, but adjustable track bars are a much better option which i plan on adding soon.

If I had to do it again I would have gone for the zone 4.25 kit as it uses a motor mount lift to correct the drive line angles as opposed to the 3 inch kit which uses a transfer case drop.

Again the 4.25 kit is the 3 inch kit with an added 1.25 inch body lift. So you will only raise the suspension 3 inches which means you should not need all the extra stuff a 4 inch suspension lift would require and the body lift will allow you to add 33 inch tires. Keep in mind that adding 33 inch tires will add a lot of stopping distance at highway speeds and also my require you to re-gear your axles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We'll I'm thinking I'm going to go with the 4.25, thank you all for your help.

But one last question if I get the 4.25 lift can I wait to get the rejustable track bar later on when I save up for it?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
We'll I'm thinking I'm going to go with the 4.25, thank you all for your help.

But one last question if I get the 4.25 lift can I wait to get the rejustable track bar later on when I save up for it?
Both the 3" Zone lift, and the 4.25" Zone lift have you redrill the FRONT track bar hole. The back is fine with the relocation bracket. You can do it just like the directions tell you to do it (and it will work), but it is not the best way. Later on, if you want to add the adjustable track bar, you might want to weld another piece of plate over the bracket and redrill the original hole...It's even a good idea if you have access to a welder and some scrap 1/8" steel to weld an oversize plate on there before drilling the second hole.

1st Pic is where they want you to redrill
2nd pic is where someone made a wider plate and welded it on before redrilling
3rd pic is a plate welded on when going back to the original hole with an adjustable track bar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts