Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definite newb here! I've got a 2010 JKU w stock rims w 31" MTRs. I think I'd like to got 2.5"-3" lift. For the time being I'm going to keep my stock rims. Please give me ideas on a lift kit that's not thousands but I'll be able to keep for a long time. All feed back welcome! Thanks

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
SoCalChris said:
Definite newb here! I've got a 2010 JKU w stock rims w 31" MTRs. I think I'd like to got 2.5"-3" lift. For the time being I'm going to keep my stock rims. Please give me ideas on a lift kit that's not thousands but I'll be able to keep for a long time. All feed back welcome! Thanks
The only advice I have is this. Do it right the first time, so you don't have to do it again.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's why I said "that i will be able to keep a long time". I'm deff not going to do it twice just to save a buck the first time!

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
The only advice I have is this. Do it right the first time, so you don't have to do it again.
Amen to this! Don't be like me!! I started out with 33's and 2.5" of lift. Now I have 35's and wish I had gotten a 3.5" lift.

The lift you get should go according to what tires you want.

33's -- 2 - 2.5"
35's - 37 - 3.5+"

You can keep your stock rims, but you will need spacers. So it would probably be better to replace your rims with one that has proper backspacing. The stock wheels have 6.5" backspacing which sucks for larger tires. For most tires, you want to be at 4.5" or less.

For lift kits, I have Rock Krawler and recommend it. Teraflex an many others are good too.

Talk to Stan at JPI. He can help guide you in the right direction.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Are you looking to do the work yourself or have a shop do it for you? Depending on how you wish to use your new Jeep, you may get by with a simple spacer lift or you may want to go for an actual lift with new springs, upper and lower control arms, etc. The options are pretty much limitless as the aftermarket is huge for our Jeeps.

If you are new to the off-road world and not just Jeeps, I would recommend doing a few runs in stock form to see what your Jeep can do naturally. We have several runs in this area all the time and always welcome new people to join in. Then decide if you want to make a trail rig or go for more of a commuter type of rig.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Jeff

·
Registered
571 Posts
plan on taking it off roading? The stock jeep is plenty capable without a lift.

if you're doing it just for looks, I think a lifted JKU looks a little funny on 31" tires

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok...wow... All great feed back. I'm not new to off roading. New to jeeps tho. Id like to do the work myself, my skill level is pretty high for wrenching. I bought it simply for a family toy. Garage kept untill play time. I think Jeff's idea is perfect. Try a couple runs stock, get a feel for what's really going on then make a choice at that point. Thanks again for the info guys and I'm happy to be on this forum.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Always better to do a few runs first and checkout other Jeeps. That way you can see how yours is going to look. Plus you can talk to people about whether they're happy with their lift, etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
SoCalChris said:
Ok...wow... All great feed back. I'm not new to off roading. New to jeeps tho. Id like to do the work myself, my skill level is pretty high for wrenching. I bought it simply for a family toy. Garage kept untill play time. I think Jeff's idea is perfect. Try a couple runs stock, get a feel for what's really going on then make a choice at that point. Thanks again for the info guys and I'm happy to be on this forum.
Hey welcome to the forum, it sure is nice to have the skills to use your own hands and have great work to show for it, unfortunately that means you do your own warranty work as well lol but yeah I would definitely get on the trail and check out the other Jk's they have so many different products and looks to them, for your parts and just a great place to hang around and talk jeeps I would see JeePerformance Inc. in yucaipa ca his name is Stan they are just off the 10 fwy and as u can tell he comes highly recomended because he's always out on trail with us. Catch em on Facebook or his user name here is JPi1 welcome again!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With my years of offroad I've found the "warranty" doesn't cover what I happen to brake. So with that being said I'd take the risk of doing the wrenching myself. I truelly appreciate all the great feed back. Now to find a local one day run... Hmmm. Lol. Thanks guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts