Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 2011 wrangler unlimited. I am wondering if anyone has the skyjacker 4" sport lift and if they like it. I have 18" XD crack rims on 33" nitto mud grappler tires. Should i only go with a 2.5" lift? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
After spending days researching and landing on this forum. We had a similar discussion and I've come to the conclusion to go with the 2.5 BB. I'm not going to run more than 33" tires and I want road driveability along with a limited budget. from what I learned here a 2.5 on a JK is more than enough to start with including handling most off road.
My end result is 2.5 RC BB, Quick disconnects. =$240
found nice 33" MT tires for $168 ea. also
Hope that helps some. or keep searching around in here and you'll find tons of advice, which can actually add to the confusion but if your patient you'll end up right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh i found out... Rough country. Did u go with the springs option? I see that there are 4 dif versions to buy at the 2.5" lift size.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
You should really go into the JK Tech forum. At the top of the list of threads there, you'll find one called Lifting Your JK. It will give you a TON of information. I'd recommend you read that before reading up about lifts.

Going with a 4" lift means you will have to change out pretty much all the suspension parts, driveshaft, and more.

It is a very serious and costly upgrade to lift that high... not sure if you realize that.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The kit that was recommended to me here by a member who has installed about 20 kits was the 2.5 series II it cost $179 you use your original springs and shocks (the kits offers a version with new shocks if you need them) otherwise use your own for now. roughcountry.com has instructions and videos on some of them. I also added the sway bar quick disconnects for $60
Here is his post to me :
Rough country springs have come along way and zone are the same springs as BDS.

in a budget minded world you can get a decent lift for a very reasonable price and then as time and funds allow add the parts that didnt come with it in the first place.

Step 1. get the rough country 2.5 spring lift but upgrade to the series 2 kit. this will give you extended links and the rear track bar bracket. get it put on and drive it youll love it. you can go with extensions on the shocks or op for rough countrys shocks. both are good.

at 2.5 you DO NOT need control arms.

an adjustable front track bar will be highly recommended if you get any flightyness after the lift. some will some wont.

at this point you have a decent lift basis.
after you have decided what shock you will run then bump stops come into play.
rears i go back to RC. fronts i use cheap hockey pucks.

ive installed 20+ RC budget boosts and they are all running around with out issues and preform very well offroad. its a good place to start as you learn your jeep. once youve learned how to drive it and what you will actually be doing with your rig you can fine tune the suspension.

·
Registered
69 Posts
BTW I am getting all mine on amazon because free shipping and I am getting other things like lights for the windows and real nice MT tires for 168 each. I can email you the cart if you want to look at it if you need such things all together Im getting, lift, tires and lights for just over $1000

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not yet. Was told it isnt a necessity at this time. So I can add it later. BTW also told that the double shock ones aren't worth it so if you get one just get the single kit. I am going to try with out first to see what it feels like and can add it if need arises. hope that helps.
Check out this tires at amazon $169 for 285/75/16 has good user reviews

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
You should really go into the JK Tech forum. At the top of the list of threads there, you'll find one called Lifting Your JK. It will give you a TON of information. I'd recommend you read that before reading up about lifts. Going with a 4" lift means you will have to change out pretty much all the suspension parts, driveshaft, and more. It is a very serious and costly upgrade to lift that high... not sure if you realize that. Good luck, whatever you choose to do.
This ^

Moved to tech. Also check out the Sticky thread in my sig line and in tech :thumb:

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The kit that was recommended to me here by a member who has installed about 20 kits was the 2.5 series II it cost $179 you use your original springs and shocks (the kits offers a version with new shocks if you need them) otherwise use your own for now. roughcountry.com has instructions and videos on some of them. I also added the sway bar quick disconnects for $60
Here is his post to me :
Rough country springs have come along way and zone are the same springs as BDS.

in a budget minded world you can get a decent lift for a very reasonable price and then as time and funds allow add the parts that didnt come with it in the first place.

Step 1. get the rough country 2.5 spring lift but upgrade to the series 2 kit. this will give you extended links and the rear track bar bracket. get it put on and drive it youll love it. you can go with extensions on the shocks or op for rough countrys shocks. both are good.

at 2.5 you DO NOT need control arms.

an adjustable front track bar will be highly recommended if you get any flightyness after the lift. some will some wont.

at this point you have a decent lift basis.
after you have decided what shock you will run then bump stops come into play.
rears i go back to RC. fronts i use cheap hockey pucks.

ive installed 20+ RC budget boosts and they are all running around with out issues and preform very well offroad. its a good place to start as you learn your jeep. once youve learned how to drive it and what you will actually be doing with your rig you can fine tune the suspension.
Check this forum and the internet for other opinions on RC and Skyjacker. They are OK as long as you are only installing BB but think twice about their lift kits unless you are on a very limited budget.

Any lift above 3-3.5" will accelerate the wear on your driveline so avoid it if possible. You don't need 4.0" for 33" tires and they will look disproportionately small with that much lift.

Regarding those tires, I had a set of Kenda's on my dirt bike and they fell apart rather fast so I was skeptical. I saw a TJ pulling into a lot recently with some tires I liked but didn't recognize. They were Kendas with the tread that rolls over the sidewalls like the MT Sidebitters so I though they would be noisy. I like MTs but got tired of the noise. I talked to the owner and he said he does a lot of rock crawling and got tired of tearing up expensive tires. The tires had held up very well and they were very quite (MT speaking).

Make sure to post a review if you buy them.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,401 Posts
I will throw out my .02 cents but it is usually not worth that much! LOL...

I would stay away form a 4" for 33's first but by now, I think you know that. The 2.5" BB is a step in the right direction but I would still not go this way. I would go with a coil lift. The BB lifts keep the stock coils. The stock coils are not designed to hold a lot of weight that most wheeling JK's have. So, I would replace the week leak so you don't have the headaches with swapping them out down the road. I would do something like this. It will get you plenty of height for your 33's!

TeraFlex JK 1.5 inch Performance Leveling Kit

Let us know if we can help in any way...

-Jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts