Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for around a 2-2.5in lift and both lift and leveling kits are available for that height. I see that leveling kits are significantly cheaper than lift kits and I'm trying to figure out what I'm sacrificing by going leveling over a lift (as in, a lift with suspension shocks). There must be something I'm losing by going leveling or no one would buy a 2 in lift kit...

Wheels, tires, shocks, suspension (etc) are all stock.

Also, open to suggestions of specific kits yall recommend. I, preferably, would like to go with 4WheelParts as they have a local store and they could help me install the kit (I would love to help and learn how to install a kit but I do not trust myself to do it all alone).

Thank you all!

·
Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
Looking for around a 2-2.5in lift and both lift and leveling kits are available for that height. I see that leveling kits are significantly cheaper than lift kits and I'm trying to figure out what I'm sacrificing by going leveling over a lift (as in, a lift with suspension shocks). There must be something I'm losing by going leveling or no one would buy a 2 in lift kit...

Wheels, tires, shocks, suspension (etc) are all stock.

Also, open to suggestions of specific kits yall recommend. I, preferably, would like to go with 4WheelParts as they have a local store and they could help me install the kit (I would love to help and learn how to install a kit but I do not trust myself to do it all alone).

Thank you all!
A leveling kit typically lifts less, and it also includes fewer parts because of the reduced lift. For example, a TeraFlex Leveling kit will lift 2" in front and 1" in back normally. It includes spacer (or springs) to achieve that amount of lift, along with new sway bar links for the front that are a little longer than stock to work with the extra lift height. The shocks are still stock, and it doesn't even use shock extensions. All it does is adjust the ride height a little, raising it around 2" up front and an inch or so in back. The range of travel for the suspension is unchanged. The bumps tops are still where they were, and the shocks have the same limit to suspension extension (droop). All that changed is the Jeep rides a little higher overall and sits more level (because stock it had a rake downward towards the front).
A proper lift kit usually includes additional parts, new longer shocks or shock extensions, longer sway bar links for the rear (or brackets), brake line extension brackets, rear track bar bracket (to correct the geometry change the lift made to the rear track bar), and sometimes caster correction to correct the loss of caster that lifting brings to a solid front axle vehicle running control arms.
Not all lifts include everything they should, some lifts require adding additional parts to correct everything in need of correction.
Lifting Jeeps is a matter of degrees, the more you lift the more money and effort it takes to make it work as well or better than stock. Where as , the less you lift the cheaper and easier it is.
And I would not trust 4WP to install a lift kit based on everything I have heard. It really isn't hard to do yourself. And odds are you would put more effort and care into the job than 4WP would. You can see if there is a local Jeep club, often members will help other members do things like that. Or just ask around for a quality shop.

What is it you want from a lift? Why are you lifting? Knowing the reason for lifting can help answer the question of which lift. Do you want larger tires? Most lift to fit larger tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
leveling kit vs lift kit.

A leveling kit typically lifts less, and it also includes fewer parts because of the reduced lift. For example, a TeraFlex Leveling kit will lift 2" in front and 1" in back normally. It includes spacer (or springs) to achieve that amount of lift, along with new sway bar links for the front that are a little longer than stock to work with the extra lift height. The shocks are still stock, and it doesn't even use shock extensions. All it does is adjust the ride height a little, raising it around 2" up front and an inch or so in back. The range of travel for the suspension is unchanged. The bumps tops are still where they were, and the shocks have the same limit to suspension extension (droop). All that changed is the Jeep rides a little higher overall and sits more level (because stock it had a rake downward towards the front).
A proper lift kit usually includes additional parts, new longer shocks or shock extensions, longer sway bar links for the rear (or brackets), brake line extension brackets, rear track bar bracket (to correct the geometry change the lift made to the rear track bar), and sometimes caster correction to correct the loss of caster that lifting brings to a solid front axle vehicle running control arms.
Not all lifts include everything they should, some lifts require adding additional parts to correct everything in need of correction.
Lifting Jeeps is a matter of degrees, the more you lift the more money and effort it takes to make it work as well or better than stock. Where as , the less you lift the cheaper and easier it is.
And I would not trust 4WP to install a lift kit based on everything I have heard. It really isn't hard to do yourself. And odds are you would put more effort and care into the job than 4WP would. You can see if there is a local Jeep club, often members will help other members do things like that. Or just ask around for a quality shop.

What is it you want from a lift? Why are you lifting? Knowing the reason for lifting can help answer the question of which lift. Do you want larger tires? Most lift to fit larger tires.

I just purchased a 2016 wrangler sport i also want to do a leveling kit.
I CURRENTLY HAVE 255/75 17R TIRES.
MY JEEP IS IN LIKE NEW CONDITION WITH 11,400 MILES. I was going to do a leveling kit just to equal out my jeep.
In the fiture I want to put 285/75 17r Toyo tires on it. I made do some light off roading for now never knows what the future holds

·
Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
I just purchased a 2016 wrangler sport i also want to do a leveling kit.
I CURRENTLY HAVE 255/75 17R TIRES.
MY JEEP IS IN LIKE NEW CONDITION WITH 11,400 MILES. I was going to do a leveling kit just to equal out my jeep.
In the fiture I want to put 285/75 17r Toyo tires on it. I made do some light off roading for now never knows what the future holds
If you have not already done so, you may want to read this thread
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/largest-tire-on-stock-jk-heres-your-answer-142837.html
That size tire, a 285/75-17, I would pretty much consider it to be a 34" tire. Its actual size is just under 34". It might be a little large to run with just a leveling kit. A leveling kit does increase ride height, and thus ground clearance. But since it does not include shocks or bump stop extensions it does not change the limits of suspension travel. And the compressed limit of suspension travel is what is directly related to making larger tires fit without rubbing. For that to be changed to fit larger than 33" tires you typically need to add bump stop extensions.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
I currently have BFG KO2 in the 285 75 17 on a 2018 JKU with the Teraflex spacer leveling kit.

My tires measure at a true 33”. I have been driving it this way for about 6 months. Can it be done? Yes. Don’t flex it.

I am currently waiting on my 2” Mopar lift to come in.

If I were to do it again with a leveling kit, I would probably stick with 285 70 17 and go with the Teraflex spring leveling kit instead.

·
Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
I currently have BFG KO2 in the 285 75 17 on a 2018 JKU with the Teraflex spacer leveling kit.

My tires measure at a true 33”. I have been driving it this way for about 6 months. Can it be done? Yes. Don’t flex it.

I am currently waiting on my 2” Mopar lift to come in.

If I were to do it again with a leveling kit, I would probably stick with 285 70 17 and go with the Teraflex spring leveling kit instead.
That sounds like a case of using the fact that the KO2's and KM2's run small to your advantage. Another brand of that size tire would likely be larger.Word is, the new KM3's don't run small like the other BFG's do.
But with a Mopar 2" lift coming you won't need to worry about that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have not already done so, you may want to read this thread
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/largest-tire-on-stock-jk-heres-your-answer-142837.html
That size tire, a 285/75-17, I would pretty much consider it to be a 34" tire. Its actual size is just under 34". It might be a little large to run with just a leveling kit. A leveling kit does increase ride height, and thus ground clearance. But since it does not include shocks or bump stop extensions it does not change the limits of suspension travel. And the compressed limit of suspension travel is what is directly related to making larger tires fit without rubbing. For that to be changed to fit larger than 33" tires you typically need to add bump stop extensions.
OK So what if I stay with the size i have, 255/75 17r this should be ok?

·
Registered
73 Posts
its no more than a few hundred dollars for a level kit or a 2" or less lift kit.
Its much more to go above 2" of lift.

A 2" or less level/lift kit can be installed yourself with the help of a friend or two, jack stands and a jack and simple hand tools.

I put the daystar 1.75" comfort ride left/level kit in with shocks and a new steering stabalizer for Less than $350. Only grief was a single rusted then broken bolt on rear sway bar & finding some one heavy enough to stand on rear hub to extend enough to remove and reinstall that last spring and spacer.

I did it all myself except that last piece and then got a fluffier friend to help me. Took about 4 hours and really did NOT work super hard at it. Most frustrating thing was the rusted hardware; my daughters Jeep is a 2012 and came from Quebec Canada. Thus Bare steel is rusty, rest is suprisingly good. Handling seems similar/same to stock.

She has 20 x 10 wheels with 5" Back Space -24 mm offset. Tires are 33 x 12.5-20 MT Patriot is the brand. It is all geared towards asthetics/visual appeal that the kids here want. None are doing any serious off roading, the are merely driving on gravel pothole ridden back roads and a few farm trails with the occasional fallen tree or small rock to go over.

A lot of the jeeps I see with thousands in suspensions mods are doing nothing more than playing in mud either; but they like the awesome look of the giant sidewall, beach ballon tires or rock crawler appearance. They all look great, variables are the looks and the COST.

if your going hardcore off-roading then this post is a waste of time... Go all out on suspension mods.

·
Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
OK So what if I stay with the size i have, 255/75 17r this should be ok?
That size is a 32" tire, roughly. And as such it is fine even without a lift or leveling kit.
A 285/70-17 would also be fine. That is basically a 33" tire. But the 285/75-17 is taller, and more of a 34" tire. It is pushing the limits of what will fit, and likely would need some sort of actual lift vs a leveling kit. A lift not only raises the Jeep, it increases the suspension height, both extended and compressed. This actually increases the clearance for larger tires. A leveling kit raises the ride height, but it neither increases any of the suspension height mins and maxes nor adds clearance for larger tires.
I would read the thread I linked to if you want more info on tire sizes without lifting.
A wider tire like a 285 vs a 255 or 265 on stock wheels may rub in certain situations if you don't add wheel spacers. That would mainly happen when turning, possibly mixed with flexing.
A 275/70-17 would also be an option. About the diameter of the 255/75-17, but wider.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
A lot of people, including me, are very happy with the Rancho 2" Sport lift with their 9000 shocks and geometry correction brackets.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Coming from years of IFS trucks, I’m guessing these kits do not put any pressure on components on Solid front axles like they do with IFS trucks? I know levelling kits in IFS trucks put stress on upper ball joints.

I love my SFA.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,474 Posts
i will thank you. i need to talk to someone with experience
Your welcome!

Coming from years of IFS trucks, I’m guessing these kits do not put any pressure on components on Solid front axles like they do with IFS trucks? I know levelling kits in IFS trucks put stress on upper ball joints.

I love my SFA.
Yes, IFS and SFA are a complete different world!

-Jason

1 - 18 of 18 Posts