Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All.

I've attempted to read up about re-gearing, lifts, backspacing, tire stance, etc etc and I am just all sorts of confused.

I have a stock 08 JK X, with 17" rims and 33 (I think, at work cant remember off the top of my head) tires. I am looking to lift it 3"-4", and make my stance "Wider". Whether or not that requires wider tires? or that backspacing deal?

As far as the re-gear, I heard lifting and tire change can affect the gears. I live in a relatively hilly area https://maps.google.com/maps?q=main...=us&ei=2KriUbfEGPa-4APP4IHACQ&ved=0CC8Q8gEwAA
which can be seen there. Do you "have" to regear when you get a lift and bigger tires?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
What wheels are you running now? Are you staying with 33s and just contemplating a wider 33? Do you live in flat or hilly terrain? Do you have the 3.21 or 3.73 gears now?

An increase in tire size will necessitate a regear, not the lift. You can switch tires and see if you need to regear. A 3" lift will make 33s look tiny. You can fit 35s or 37s with flat fenders on a 2.5" lift.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
You do not have to lift or regear for a 33", esp with 3.73's.
back spacing should be 4.5 or less or spacers are needed using the stock wheels.

My advice !!
Gearing is not cheap. Over 2k in some areas. Install the tires and drive. If you feel the need to regear, you can always have it done.

If you still want to lift but staying with a 33" tire. A small leveling kit or even a budget boost will be enough to give the look you want.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What wheels are you running now? Are you staying with 33s and just contemplating a wider 33? Do you live in flat or hilly terrain? Do you have the 3.21 or 3.73 gears now?

An increase in tire size will necessitate a regear, not the lift. You can switch tires and see if you need to regear. A 3" lift will make 33s look tiny. You can fit 35s or 37s with flat fenders on a 2.5" lift.
Up where I am it is a good mix of flat and hills. I am going to go with a larger tire (like you said, 3-4 lift with 33's is tiny). Not sure about the gear, i believe i have 3.21

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
JK Re-Gear Package non-rubi

best deal on gears I have seen.

I'm still running my stock 3.73's on 37's, it's doable on the highway but I would like a lower gear for some more control in the rocks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts