Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 wrangler sport and I want to put a 3.5 inch lift which requires new shocks and coil springs. I know the shocks are pretty easy to install but I'm worried about the coil springs. I would take it to a shop but they tried to charge me more to install it then I paid for the lift! Any advice

·
Registered
107 Posts
The springs are not difficult, honestly. Do it yourself, it's worth doing just to say you did. No special tools or skills needed. I rented a spring compressor from autozone when I did mine..... Never took it out of the box. You will need a torque wrench, but that can also be rented from AZ if you don't have one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Also spray all the bolts you'll need to remove with PB Blaster or similar for several days before your install. Especially those shock bolts you're not worried about as many people break the rears.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The springs are not difficult, honestly. Do it yourself, it's worth doing just to say you did. No special tools or skills needed. I rented a spring compressor from autozone when I did mine..... Never took it out of the box. You will need a torque wrench, but that can also be rented from AZ if you don't have one.
Well I had a friend who was taking the springs off of his jeep and the coil spring shot down and crushed his hand so I'm terrified of that

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I had a friend who was taking the springs off of his jeep and the coil spring shot down and crushed his hand so I'm terrified of that

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't even know how that could've happened??? If you allow the axle to fully droop then there is no pressure on the springs at all.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
If you disconnect the track bars you should be able to droop the axle out enough to pull the old springs by hand, and maybe put the new ones in, if you need to compress them, you need to go to your local parts store and 'borrow' a strut compressor, NOT a spring compressor. When using the strut compressors, take your time, get them lined up right, pull each side down equally and release them equally as well. While it is a lot of stored energy in its compressed state, it's relatively safe, or, at least, you can make it safe by being careful. It's not a difficult job to do, and you'll be glad you did it yourself and learned a lot along the way.

·
Registered
107 Posts
With frame on jack stands as high as you can get, and axle supported, disconnect track bar, shocks, control arms, and sway bar links lower jack supporting axle and remove/replace springs. If you need more space to remove/replace springs, jack up the opposite side of the axle. This will cause the opposite side to further droop. Then just slip out the old springs and replace with new ones.

If you haven't done it before it may sound like a lot. I've only done it once but would have no worries doing it again.

No spring/strut compressor needed and is much safer.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Jacked one end up all the way to get the spring in with no troubles. Then again for the other side.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's easier than you think. I would have had it done in a day, but I didn't have drill bits to drill for the trackbar and the jeep was my only vehicle

·
Registered
728 Posts
Search for Water Dogs write up on removing springs or send him a PM with your email. Now worries of losing fingers. You are welcome

1 - 13 of 13 Posts