Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am going to put a 2.5 lift on my 4 door. You know what they say about opinions, I would like to hear from people who have used them. My budget doesnt allow for a $2000 upgrade. The two kits that I am looking at are the rough country with just shocks and springs or the rugged ridge with shocks speings and track bar brace ($150 more expensive) which one should I go with and why? Also are there any other parts that I need? It is my dd and i will be putting 33" tires on it. About 5% off road, no serious stuff.

Thanks,

Neral

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
True, you do not need a lift for 33's. However, if you want a lift skip Rough Country and Rugged Ridge. They are cheap for a reason. I also have Rugged Ridge shocks (ORV) on my Teraflex lift and they ride horribly. Spend little bit, get a Rock Krawler stock mod. It is Rock Krawler's entry level lift kit and it isn't cheap components. The coils you won't need to replace later and you can upgrade it as you can afford parts, like control arms and stuff. Pair with good shocks and you will have an excellent riding lifted rig and spend like $800.

-Dan

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I may not need to, but would like a lift and potential to go bigger later. For the rock krawler stock mod, what shocks should I get if I go that way? Again, I don't have alot to spend.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been chewing it over and decided to just go with 35s. Is 2.5 enough?

·
Registered
178 Posts
2.5 should be enough. You won't regret going with 35's. Cause if you didn't you'd wish you did. I am running 35's with a Teraflex leveling kit and flat fenders with no problems. Don't go cheap on a lift. Save a little more and pay for quality parts.

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
what engine and gearing are you running? If you are a 3.8L with OEM 3.73's or worse, you will notice performance and economy declines. I am rolling 5.13's for my 35's.

-Dan

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My gearing is 3.73 auto, I know that I will lose about 2 mpg, but ok. From what I have read, with a 2.5 lift I should be Ok otherwise. Also after going back and forth with lifts, and reading all that I can, I have decided to do the 2.5 Rock Krawler stock mod and update my shocks. I have not seen any complaints about these and the lifetime warrantee is not found on the cheaper ones. In addition, I can upgrade later to their other mods if I want. If I am wrong in my blabbering, please let me know. Another ? Is what are good DD shocks for the 2.5 lift.

Thanks!

·
Registered
343 Posts
One more choice you might look at befoer you buy is the AEV DualSport XT 2.5" lift with Bilstein shocks. Not that there's anything wrong with RK, but by the time you switch shcocks you are in roughly the same price range, and with the AEV you get triple rate coils on all four corners and match tuned shocks.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excuss my newbness, but what are triple rate coils and what rate coils are on the rock krawler mod? Also does aev offer a lifetime warrantee?

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Neral22 said:
My gearing is 3.73 auto, I know that I will lose about 2 mpg, but ok. From what I have read, with a 2.5 lift I should be Ok otherwise. Also after going back and forth with lifts, and reading all that I can, I have decided to do the 2.5 Rock Krawler stock mod and update my shocks. I have not seen any complaints about these and the lifetime warrantee is not found on the cheaper ones. In addition, I can upgrade later to their other mods if I want. If I am wrong in my blabbering, please let me know. Another ? Is what are good DD shocks for the 2.5 lift.

Thanks!
Wait for it........,, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. Around $250 for all 4 now :thumb:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the part # on the ranchos and where is the cheapest place to get them? Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts