Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm gonna go with the suspension lift kit (2")... I've never seen a product with so many different price....

I'm liking the price of the Rough Country lift kit (and heard good things about RC)... or thr Rugged Ridge ORV Suspension Lift..... we're not doing any rock climbing or crazy off road stuff... may visit the local ATV park and go trampsing over hills and over dales, but that's about it...

THEN there's the "recommended" options like replacement spring bolts and yadda yadda yadda....

Will the voice of experience kindly bellow loudly throughout the hollowed canyons and mountains that is this forum and tell me what the f#[email protected] I need to buy!!!???

Thank you,
Rob

·
Registered
133 Posts
Lift kits, like many other things, fall into that category of "you get what you pay for". I just finished installing a Rubicon Express 2.5" lift. I chose it over the other options as it was a quality lift at a good price (not cheap quality and price like roug country, but not overkill for me like BDS or OME). As for the extras, spring bolts are a must, as you will more than likely have to cut most of yours during the installation. I also made several trips to lowes to replace other bolts such as shock mount bolts, track bar bolts, et cetera. I replaced EVERY bolt when i did my lift. This saved me a lot of time and hassle because i was able to cut most of them rather than figt with rust. The other benefit to the RE lift over the RC lift is everything (aside from the bolts) is included with the RE lift. It even includes a set of decent sway bar disconnects and the TC drop.

Thats with the lift and 31x10.5 duratracs. I got a total of 3.75" out of the lift and yet the TC drop and shims that came with the lift were enough to prevent vibes.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have a 2.5" RC kit. I will say that it works. It is bumpy on the road for sure but I think some better shoks will help that. It flexes well and I have beat it pretty good off road. For sure get new spring bolts though. That is extra from RC but work the little money.

I run my rc 2.5 " lift in conjunction with 1" lift boomerang shackles, and a 1" body lift. I also raised my fender flares about an inch. I run a 32x11.5x15 tire on backspaced rims with a 1" wheel spacer. Do I wish i'd spent more on a "better" kit? No. was it maybe a little more work on research for some parts? a little. I ended up getting so much lift from my 2.5" kit that i had rear driveshaft issues and thats where things got tricky. I went with a cv drive shaft and sye(more for future upgrades than anything) I could have gotten away with a TC drop kit which was not included with the lift. I also had to extend both my front and rear brake lines but mine were shot anyway so...

So all and all I am happy with my RC lift BUT you may have some issues...

Pics and more info in my build thread.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So with a 2" lift kit, I may have drive shaft issues and such?

·
Registered
133 Posts
You may, you may not. I had horrible vibrations after my lift until i got it aligned. Granted, it wasnt driveshaft vibes, but a lot of people forget to realign the vehicle andvif your toe is out it can cause vibes. 95YamJam has a total suspension lift of 3.5" and had vibes, i have a total of 2.5" and do not. There is no golden number, every jeep is very much different. As he mentioned, extended brake lines are highly recommended though, and are included in the RE lift. Just shop around and decide what suits your needs the best.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'd do the SOA, you get around 4 inches, and the you just gotta buy U-bolts and nuts a t-case drop and align the steering and such, oh plus shocks

·
Registered
373 Posts
I did a 4in rough county lift about 4 months ago and I love it. I also put on the 2in shackles for a total of 6 inches. It's easy to install yourself and it's a great price. it rides about the same as my stock suspension.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I have been running the RC 4" lift since 2009 and I love it. It is a bit bouncy, but I think part of that is the short wheel base and oversize tires. I have removed my track bars and eventually even the sway bars. I initially had the transfer case drop bracket but did not install it right away and only has a slight vibration. I installed the drop bracket and the vibe went a way. I finially went to a SYE about a year ago and love that.

Another thing I like about RC is the customer service and warranty. I flipped a shackle on the trail, causing the spring to have a ugly arch that was horrible to drive on. I called RC, explained what happened and they said they would ship me new springs that should be at my house in about 7 working days. I told them that I was hosting a Meet n Greet the following weekend and I need the springs badly, and they shipped the springs UPS 2 day air at their costs. I got the springs 2 days before the meet, installed them in my garage and had a blast wheeling all weekend without worries.

Rubicon Express is known for quality and I have never heard anything bad about them. The only concern I would have is that they were recently purchased my 4 Wheel Parts and the product may no longer be up to the same standards it once was. 4 Wheel Parts also purchased Smittybilt and their quality went from decent quality to Harbor Freight Tools type of quality.

Jeff

Jeff

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the great responses.... I'm learning quite a bit....

Let me try a different angle...

Our jeep is gonna be more of a commuter vehicle and summertime fun vehicle... we may ride some trails and climb some hills at a local off road vehicle park, but there will be no rock climbing or hunting or anything extreme...

I have 31" tires and we like the look of them... So I just want to raise the jeep 2".

Here's where I'm at..

1. An RC 2.5" lift kit. (with the 9000 shock upgrade)

2. replace the spring bolts

3. add a steering stabalizer

4. and Shock boots

5. make sure to get an alignment..

How does this sound?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Sounds fine, just don't waste your money on the shock boots. Some people will disagree with me, but they simply don't work. This isn't a knock on RC, it's shock boots in general.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds fine, just don't waste your money on the shock boots. Some people will disagree with me, but they simply don't work. This isn't a knock on RC, it's shock boots in general.

I was thinking that too..... sounds like a cool and colorful addition that just isn't necessary
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Things can snowball quickly. I did a 2.5" RC Lift last summer. I had to do the spring bolts (and shackle bolts/bushungs, since it was all apart anyway), then I had to do extended brake lines, which caused me to have to replace hard lines, too, since they were pretty rusty and snapped off, now I have a trans drop to install due to vibrations (and I anticipate that not going smoothly due to rusty bolts) and I have some extended sway bar connects coming since the stock ones are pretty maxed out...I guess what I'm warning is to not empty you Jeep $ account, cause you'll probably need unexpected parts as you go.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I was thinking that too..... sounds like a cool and colorful addition that just isn't necessary
Thanks
More than that.. They can actually cause premature wear. Feel free to get in touch and I can help on the pricing.

Things can snowball quickly. I did a 2.5" RC Lift last summer. I had to do the spring bolts (and shackle bolts/bushungs, since it was all apart anyway), then I had to do extended brake lines, which caused me to have to replace hard lines, too, since they were pretty rusty and snapped off, now I have a trans drop to install due to vibrations (and I anticipate that not going smoothly due to rusty bolts) and I have some extended sway bar connects coming since the stock ones are pretty maxed out...I guess what I'm warning is to not empty you Jeep $ account, cause you'll probably need unexpected parts as you go.
This is true. Majority of people with that small of a lift don't need a TC drop, but occasionally people do. No two jeeps are exactly the same. Sway bars, I tossed those long ago and thus no need for links. Since you're up north, hit em with plenty of PB blaster and start doing it a week before you go to take them off, but my guess is that at least a couple of the frame nutserts where those bolts go will end up spinning out.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Maybe three inches before settling, but the poster saying 5" makes me think that RC sent him/her the wrong springs to begin with. The arch between the 2.5 and the 4" is quite different.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for helping me get headed the right direction...

Looks like i'm about to pull the trigger on a lift kit!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts