Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently was at a Chevrolet Service store, and was talking to a Mechanic about lift kits, He tells me that lift kits are a terrible idea as they ruin your tires and mess up the vehicle. I was surprised about this as I am planning on getting one soon.

If this is the case how bad is it? And if it is bad then my dreams of having a nice lifted jeep may be over (Hope not!)

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Let me get this straight, you were talking to someone who works strictly on IFS trucks and cars about suspension on a solid front axle vehicle? He works on vehicles that were ruined at the factory.

I mean its a very vague statement. What do you consider ruined? Sure, it's not going to handle like stock, some parts will wear quicker, but who cares. Dealership mechanics are some of the worst people to get information from.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As long as the lift is installed properly and all the correct parts are used then you shouldn't have any problems. I've just recently put a lift on my 2nd Jeep and I love it. But I got the right lift for my jeep and the installer has been doing aftermarket mods for a while and I trust him. He's lifted several of my vehicles. So that's another thing, if you don't trust yourself doing it find a shop that has a good reputation and let them handle it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Surely incomplete or too high lifts can "ruin" your Jeep. Driving a Jeep without steering wheel can also ruin your Jeep. lol couldn't come up with a better example :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me get this straight, you were talking to someone who works strictly on IFS trucks and cars about suspension on a solid front axle vehicle? He works on vehicles that were ruined at the factory. I mean its a very vague statement. What do you consider ruined? Sure, it's not going to handle like stock, some parts will wear quicker, but who cares. Dealership mechanics are some of the worst people to get information from.
I told him that i was getting a lift kit, and he said it was a bad idea and i could kiss my tires goodbye, the only reason i took him seriously is because he was a mechanic at the body shop

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
A properly installed moderate quality lift will not ruin the tires. Part is driver responsibility, maintain correct tire pressure, make sure it's aligned, don't drive like a schmuck.

Just because he works in a body shop does it mean he knows suspensions.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Some lifts cause tires to wear quicker and some will let tires live longer.
Quality matters...

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
A properly installed moderate quality lift will not ruin the tires. Part is driver responsibility, maintain correct tire pressure, make sure it's aligned, don't drive like a schmuck. Just because he works in a body shop does it mean he knows suspensions.
Yep, improper toe in, worn/loose parts, bad shocks, infrequent tire rotations, PSI, etc

·
Registered
661 Posts
If the mechanic was just trying to tell you that you will lose stock performance and ahev a higher cost to own, then he is correct. At the very least you will be buying tires that cost $300-$400 apiece rather than $200-$250. Right there alone you are spending nearly double to operate the vehicle on tires alone. Aggressive mud tires will generally wear faster than conservative all terrains, so that makes it an even higher cost. Add in reduced gas milage and increase brake and suspension wear, and yes it costs more money to own a lifted Jeep. A lot more. Anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant or lying.

That being said, like most any hobby in life, you have to pay to play. If you enjoy it, and you have the money for it, then do it. It is only money. Only you can decide if the extra financial costs and losing your stock ride are worth the lift and larger tires.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Adding a lift will cause your engine and drive train components to work harder and wear out faster which will shorten the life span of your jeep. The on road handling characteristics will also be degraded. However, going off road frequently, adding wieght with armor or bumpers will do this as well. I think you get far more out of a lift on a jeep that already doesn't handle that well stock then you would on a pickup truck, which is probably where this guy is coming from.

·
Registered
339 Posts
So I recently was at a Chevrolet Service store, and was talking to a Mechanic about lift kits, He tells me that lift kits are a terrible idea as they ruin your tires and mess up the vehicle. I was surprised about this as I am planning on getting one soon.

If this is the case how bad is it? And if it is bad then my dreams of having a nice lifted jeep may be over (Hope not!)
35s and no lift:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Such a broad statement... For JKs specifically, some, or even most lifts on the market could take away some of the on road handling and other benefits of OEM engineering. But there are least a few lifts out there that are properly engineered to improve the on and off road performance and retain or improve on the other benefits of OEM engineering.

It is my understanding that engineering on the AEV lifts and geometry brackets came from a former Jeep engineer. Roll center, on track testing and longevity of the parts were obviously their focus. After 7+ years on my AEV lift, I still think it is one of the best. On road handling is great, better than stock imo, no tire wear issues, off road it has run everything I've asked it to, and I haven't had to rebuild any joints in the suspension arms. I do replace the steering stabilizer every two years, but I view that as maintenance.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Some will, some won't, like everything, it really depends on what you're paying for. do a search around for people that have issues with flighty steering and you'll see what they have in common, mainly, height gain without at least correction brackets, arms with bs bushings, $40 shocks and "cheap kits" in general because lets face it, they didn't want to offroad, but wanted the lifted look and bigger tires...

The same applies to the truck market, Chevy or Dodge or Ford, Toyota, Nissan, it doesn't matter, most newbs want the lifted look on their big trucks, they just want to be able to fit little bigger tires or huge tires, so you'll see everything from $80 to $300 spacer kits to lift 2-3" to start, $500-$700 for 4-5" lifts, this are the worst offenders, as they're typically the same fackers who think they're saving yourself from big giant corporations, who's all purpose in life is to take $1600 or $5000 for the same $hiat, lifted the proper way :), and you're an imbecile for paying that much when the el chepo spacers will accomplish the same. The last imbeciles are the ones that go for the el cheapo approach, and hence the reason your mechanic has the wrong idea about what lifting a vehicle is all about.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Such a broad statement... For JKs specifically, some, or even most lifts on the market could take away some of the on road handling and other benefits of OEM engineering. But there are least a few lifts out there that are properly engineered to improve the on and off road performance and retain or improve on the other benefits of OEM engineering. It is my understanding that engineering on the AEV lifts and geometry brackets came from a former Jeep engineer. Roll center, on track testing and longevity of the parts were obviously their focus. After 7+ years on my AEV lift, I still think it is one of the best. On road handling is great, better than stock imo, no tire wear issues, off road it has run everything I've asked it to, and I haven't had to rebuild any joints in the suspension arms. I do replace the steering stabilizer every two years, but I view that as maintenance.
i was actually looking at an AEV 2.5 lift as expensive as it is i know AEV's quality and they never disappoint, thanks

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
i was actually looking at an AEV 2.5 lift as expensive as it is i know AEV's quality and they never disappoint, thanks
AEV puts out a quality product and honestly based on my personal experiences - the whole Lift reality is Why AEV is so busy and why they maintain their price structure.
Guys like me who have been lifting (and lowering) vehicles for decades have grown tired of the process, have had our share of successes/failures/headaches and issues. Now we can afford to pay a Professional installation company backed by sound engineering.
That avoids a lot of problems before they ever become problems.
Does a Lift "ruin" a Jeep? It can but it isn't a certainty by a long stretch.
Anyone that asks me "what to do" - I start with..... Drive it and Enjoy it.
If they press, I say..... Prepare to spend a Lot of Money and time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just spoke to my mechanic yesterday..he's a general mechanic and has worked on Jeeps, and every other type of automobile. I am/was pretty serious about getting a lift. I was looking at the Teraflex 2.5" 9550

He said..."don't do it", "bad idea", "ok if you're good with coming back here every year and shelling out a bunch of dough". Firstly he said don't listen to people on the Internet LOL...anyway, that aside, he said it does kill your Jeep. He went on to say that because of the lift, your geometry is out of whack which results in new ujoints, ball joints and excessive wear on your tires.

He said it's fine if you get the full complete kit, (the 5000.00+ ones) as it lowers everything and the geometry is basically "moved"...I'm paraphrasing.

He's been a really trustworthy mechanic, and he said it himself it would likely cause me to bring my Jeep in to the shop more..so if he was shady he would have said something opposite...

Anyway, I flip flopping on a lift for mine. Still debating it. I have more to consider now...

Have any of you with lifts experienced more wear and tear on major components? Tires? ..would be nice to hear from the people who have had their lifts installed for a few years now

·
Registered
726 Posts
Let me get this straight, you were talking to someone who works strictly on IFS trucks and cars about suspension on a solid front axle vehicle? He works on vehicles that were ruined at the factory.

I mean its a very vague statement. What do you consider ruined? Sure, it's not going to handle like stock, some parts will wear quicker, but who cares. Dealership mechanics are some of the worst people to get information from.
Exactly! They ruined the trucks back in 1988, all to lower production costs. Yet the IFS sheep think it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts