Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a 4in lift kit but i dont know what i am looking for, any suggestions, looking for good quality but fair price (hopefully under $1000).
thanks
Matt

·
Registered
74 Posts
Matt,
There are much wiser Jeepers out there then I so I'm not going to talk about lift kits.... but I just want to make you aware of this fact. Any lifts 3" and higher you will more then likely need a SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator). So add another $500 to this modification. I am new (less then a year) to the off road Jeep world. I was unaware of the slip yoke issue until I lifted my wife's Jeep 3".

Good luck in your search!
Frank

·
Registered
100 Posts
Elaborating on what fapple said, you will need a lot more that 1k for a 4 inch lift. Wheels, tires, new gearing, SYE, CV kit etc.

When you look into lifts, you want to make sure you have all the necessary parts for a good ride. Many lower end kits lack things such as trac bars, disconnects, brake lines etc.

Here are a few ideas for you with some more complete kits:
http://www.dpgoffroad.com/TJ_LJ_OME_Kits.htm

·
Registered
35 Posts
I second the link that TJGreg put up, I run the deluxe ome kit and I absolutely love it for around 800 or so you get a complete hybrid kit able to run 33's. That is achieved by a combination of suspension and body lift. The springs I chose were the heavy duty all the way around and gained about 3inches of lift and with 1.25bl well the math is easy. I run 33's but I still rub at full stuff, disconnected of course. The biggest pain of all was the motor mount lift(mmL) but that eliminated any chance of vibes with my jeep. I could not be happier in fact this week I am adding 1 inch spacers to help with rubbing. Also one suggestion that I have if you do go with this kit is get the long travel shocks, wish I had done that. I did not have to get the sye and cv driveshaft, that is what the mml eliminates. Also I have friends that run the re (rubicon express) kits 3.5 and they love them but that is big$$ when you figure the sye and cv. I hope this helps Dirk at DPG knows his stuff and is nice to boot. The ride is excellent also. :D
Chad

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Matt,

The best advice I can give you on adding any lift be it a 2" or a 6" is save the money up and do it right the 1st time. Now, what are your main reasons for wanting a 4" lift on the jeep which will help us guide you in the right direction. For example do you just want it for looks, will it be used for street and trail. How important is road ride vs trail ride to you etc. etc.

That being said, there are some good products out there and some that are not as good. Keep in mind you find people with good and bad views of same kit. I have Run the following kits on my TJ's. Rustys off-road basic 3" kit. Decent price, road very nice on the highway and had better than expected results off road, price is about $600retail as I recall. Currently I run a Rubicon express 4.5 kit.($1400 retail for kit add another 500 for t-case mod you will need know as SYE.) Bit stiffer on road ride, but excellant off road.

Now as for keeping it under 1k, yes you keep to that budget and have a good lift. Keep in mind there are lost of discount off road shops out there with below retail prices on kits. For example. 4x4groupbuy.com, performanceoffroadcenter.com, 4x4rockshop.com..to name a few. Thus, give us some more info and we can help you out. Also is there a 4x4 club in your area? If so join up, and see what kind of lifts they run on their jeeps, and that also might help you pick.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I havent really looked to see what was out there, and that is why i asked. but some of my reasonings is i want a lift to get extra ground clearence(but want alittle more then 2 but not as high as 6 so, best is between so 4). as for ride i know jeep ride rough onroad no matter what so i not worried about that, also anthoer reason for not as high as 6 is rollovers, as for offroad i dont really do rock crawilng, all i really do is trail rides and mud pits. there is a guy local (skids jeep shop) he works with alot of jeep (obvesly) and i went and talked to him the other day, he said all he will put on is superlift(he made a deal with them) , he said and entire 4in lift installed would be $850. but i have no details on what he does. but what to know from other people what to do, so and suggestions and comment are welcome on so good ideas.
thank
matt

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
4Jeepn said:
. Rustys off-road basic 3" kit. Decent price, road very nice on the highway and had better than expected results off road, price is about $600retail as I recall

road shops out there with below retail prices on kits. For example. 4x4groupbuy.com, performanceoffroadcenter.com, 4x4rockshop.com..to name a few. Thus, give us some more info and we can help you out. Also is there a 4x4 club in your area? If so join up, and see what kind of lifts they run on their jeeps, and that also might help you pick.
first where can i find the rusty's off road basic 3 in, and does it come with every thing i need. second off i went to some to the websites you showed and looked, all the sites had abunch to choose from, what is a good brand/package that has atleast most every thing need. there are rubicon express or tereflex both 3.5 at fair prices, but do they have most every thing.
thanks
matt

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Most kits, no matter who makes them come in a basic form and a more complete form, for lack of better words. The basic ones usaully include new springs, shocks, t-case lowering kits, rear track bar brackets, extended sway bar links etc. The complete kits give you new beefier control arms either 4 lower or all 8 of them, a new adjustable front track bar, front sway bar dissconnects.. etc. Thus they add more to the price.

As for which kit to run, I really do like my rubcion kit, you may want to look into their 3.5" kit either in basic or superflex which has the replacement control arms. As for the SYE and new driveshaft, Iknow some jeeps need it and some dont with this kit. Perhaps some folks can chime in who have it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I 2nd doing it right the first time. I am choosing RE 3.5 SF and a T.Woods Driveshaft and an SYE. I getting front and back adjustable control arms and a beefier front trackbar. Quick disconnects come with the RE 3.5 SF if I am not mistaken. There are some vendors with great deals. You may want to try DC4WD or any other online retailer. Don't cut corners when it comes to the lift or you'll be sorry. It's taking me a while, but I'm doing right when I finally lift my heap. I'm not going past 33" tires since it's my daily driver.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok that all sound good thanks for the advice, but anthoer question, a local guy (skids jeep shop) will install superlift only he will install a 4 in for $850, is superlift good and if i have it install do you think every thing that needs to be done will be done? or do you think he will "cut corners" just to get it fininshed?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think i have somewhat narrowed it down, either the rubicon express 3.5" with superflex ($879.95) or the rusty's 3.5" advanced kit ($1100) or the 4" super lift at skid jeep shop ($850). I just need some feed back on each (exempt one skids) about what else i would need to get if i got either of the kits ( will i need SYE or bigger driveshaft or moter mount lifts ect.). thanks for your input on this subject
matt

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
If they all have sort of the same stuff I would lean toward rubicon express 3.5" and I am going to say for budget figuring include the sye and longer shaft.. tom woods driveshafts are on mine and they did great job, sye is advance adaptors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
4Jeepn said:
If they all have sort of the same stuff I would lean toward rubicon express 3.5" and I am going to say for budget figuring include the sye and longer shaft.. tom woods driveshafts are on mine and they did great job, sye is advance adaptors.
That is exactly the setup I had in mind.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey i found this kit just searching around

TJ 5.5" Ultimate Long Arm Combo W/ ACOS
2-EO-LACOMBO
The TJ 5.5" Ultimate Long Arm Combo comes with everything needed (call or email us about your favorite tire and wheel combination) to transform your TJ into a Rock Crawling Monster!

This combo kit includes the following:
3.5" Rubicon Express Long Arm Kit
ACOS (Adjustable Coilover Spacers) for front AND rear (allowing adjustability front/rear and left/right)
a set of Rubicon Express Mono-Tube shocks
Advance Adapters Heavy Duty SYE
Tom Woods CV Driveshaft
Mountain Offroad 1" Torsion Rubber Bomb Proof motor mounts
1.25" body lift from JKS
a high performace muffler from Magnaflow!

it is about $3600 would a 6 in lift be to much for a 4 cyl jeep that i drive every day. and what about roll over risks, and overall performace on the trail. i want to get in to rock crawing (i think) but not too heavy. or should i just stick the the 3.5 in be fine and i found this on the same site.
TJ 3.5" Ultimate Superflex Lift Combo
2-EO-35COMBO
The TJ 3.5" Ultimate Superflex Lift Combo comes with everything to transform your TJ into a very capable Rock Crawler!

Included in the Kit is a 3.5" Rubicon Express Superflex Kit; a set of Rubicon Express Twin Tube shocks; 1" JKS Motor Mount Lift; 1" body lift (brand depends on availabiltity); and 2 pair of our very own lower control arm skids!

which would be the best for a 4 cyl that i drive every day. and will also use it on the trail.
thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
For a 4cyl. I would stick to the 3.5 your jeep is going to loose power unless you rear gear just turning 33s especially if it your daily driver.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts