Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011 JK.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out the lift on my jk. My springs measured out at roughly 11.5" when i measured them a while back, which is only 2 inches of lift. Im running 35's and every jeep pic i see with a 2" lift looks much lower than mine even with smaller tires. My gut tells me mine is more than that. Will the shocks also create more lift? I cant find a specific description of these (Monroe) "Reflex" shocks i have anywhere on the internet. Was wanting to just look them up since i dont have a tape measure on me. Anyone got any guru knowledge on these things? Pic supplied.

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
That appears to be at least partially a spacer lift, that spacer above the spring and spring isolator is providing lift.
Here is a thread with great info on how to measure actual lift height
There are also extensions at the bottom shock mounts, presumably to allow the stock length shocks to work with the lift. But there doesn't appear to be any additional bump stop extension. That would be a major concern when running the shock extensions. That would allow the shock to be what stops the suspension up travel, and that can cause serious issues.
The shocks and bump stops need to be working as a pair, with the bump stops halting suspension up travel just before the shock runs out of up travel (unless you need it to stop sooner due to tire size).
You could do a lot better with a quality lift, or at least a quality set of shocks and springs, along with the required bump stops to keep the shocks happy.

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention, shocks do not really provide any lift. They could make a very small difference in lift height if the shocks are high pressure shocks compared to low pressure shocks, maybe a fraction of an inch. But shocks don't provide height, springs do. The shocks are there to control the springs.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,170 Posts
Spacer lift with OEM springs and spacers under the shocks. See that U shaped bracket under the shock? Spacer for an OEM length shock. Those shocks are about as terrible as they get for these rigs performance wise. Someone took the very very cheap way out to lift it.

·
Super Moderator
16,560 Posts
Ugh. So, basically its a train wreck down there. The more i learn about my jeep the more i need to do to "fix" it. Damn cheap ass people not doing things the right way... 🤬
Yes, unfortunately, that is just about as entry level as it gets. But, I can also see that your jounce bumpers are toast and they didn't add any bump stops. So you're going to need to get some work done under there anyways.

What is your budget? How do you plan to use the Jeep? Rock crawling? Forest roads?

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,170 Posts
In addition, this is the tag that tells you which spring is on your vehicle. Clean it off carefully and tell us what numbers are there. Usually two numbers / two numbers, like 17/59.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
2011 JK.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well heres what i found when i was looking for/at that tag. Also, found a crack in the spring on my passenger side. -.-

·
Super Moderator
16,560 Posts
Well heres what i found when i was looking for/at that tag. Also, found a crack in the spring on my passenger side. -.- View attachment 4518855
That is a 14... This must be a 2dr? Pretty low spring number and this photo??? WTF is up with that spring?

Still these questions... What is your budget? How do you plan to use the Jeep? Rock crawling? Forest roads?

The easy way out would be a Rancho 2" kit with RS5000X shocks and a new set of factory jounce bumpers.

But a complete 2.5" lift might make you happier. It's just money, right?

I think a good choice would be a Teraflex ST2 with a set of Rancho RS5000X shocks (29's and 30's)... It even includes new jounce bumpers. But it's going to cost around $1400... plus install.

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
The "crack" on the spring looks to be just the powder coating. Not great, but not like the spring itself is cracked.
I would agree, new springs and shocks would be a good start, there are a number of good options. The Rancho 2" lift, a TeraFlex based 2.5" lift, the AEV 2.5" lift, or a MetalCloak 2.5" lift are all good options. Part of it depends on how you are using the Jeep. The AEV 2.5" lift and a set of geometry brackets (AEV makes brackets, but I think the Rancho brackets are the best) will ride really well on road and still work great off road. A 2.5" MetalCloak lift will work really well off road and still work fine on road. The TeraFlex lift is somewhere between those two. And the Rancho 2" lift is probably the best bargain in lifts, a set of springs and shocks, along with a few extra's, for around the cost of just the springs or just the shocks from most other vendors.

·
Registered
2011 JK.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A middle of the road lift kit w suspension was thinking $800 to $1000, maybe $1200‽ I dont do cheap if i can help it. I want to get rid of these half-assed spacers and extenders and whatever the heck the cheapskate who owned this jeep did before i bought it. I was thinking 3-4" lift. Comparable, to where im at currently. maybe 1 more inch. Eventually gonna run 37's. I live in FL so ideally some rocks, but lots of sand and mud (sadly). This is also my daily driver. The Ranchos are ugly imo. Rather not go with them unless they really are best. Bilstein, fox and metalcloak shocks look pretty nice.

·
Premium Member
9,902 Posts
If 37's are in your future you are probably going to spend a bit more to do it right. I would recommend MetalCloak Game-Changer 2.5 or 3.5 inch lift paired with RockSport shocks. More than what you want to spend but you will be doing it right. You could start out with the Dual Rate system and upgrade later to the Game-Changer. Here is 2.5 inches running 37's, I have since cut the rear fenders.

Reactions: Blickquickly

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
Running 35's and a 2.5" lift is a very common and reasonable option. You can run 37's with a 2.5" lift and flat fenders. But 37's are a lot more expensive to do right, and will require more money than 35's by a fair bit. You can spend that money up front, or wait until things break / wear out.
You probably have a 2.5" spacer lift now. You can easily get a decent 2.5" spring lift for the money you are talking. To do a 3.5" lift the price goes up, and a 3.5" lift done right is near twice what a decent 2.5" lift will cost once you include everything you will need.

·
Registered
2011 JK.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah i definitely low balled myself on lift prices there. Lol. I just looked a few up. 2k or so seems to be the prices. At least my jeep has only 58k miles on it. I have a long time to make these changes. Thanks for the assist guys. Love this forum.

·
Super Moderator
16,560 Posts
The Rancho's work great for the $$. I like them way better than Bilsteins and probably better than the Fox too. Haven't had the Rocksports on any of my personal Jeeps, but they are getting a good rep here. I would just paint the Rancho's if it was important to me. Or the other really good value shock is the Skyjacker Black Max. You might find that better looking.

My upgrade path would still be a 2.5" today then flat fenders to go to 37's down the road... Going to need a regear which is about $2000 in Florida on top of everything else.

·
Registered
2011 JK.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I already have some flat aftermarket fenders and some front inners. No idea whose they are but at least theyre not plastic and they look good. Regear will happen down the road as well. Regear before bigger tires for sure.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU 3.6 Backcountry
326 Posts
The "crack" on the spring looks to be just the powder coating. Not great, but not like the spring itself is cracked.
I would agree, new springs and shocks would be a good start, there are a number of good options. The Rancho 2" lift, a TeraFlex based 2.5" lift, the AEV 2.5" lift, or a MetalCloak 2.5" lift are all good options. Part of it depends on how you are using the Jeep. The AEV 2.5" lift and a set of geometry brackets (AEV makes brackets, but I think the Rancho brackets are the best) will ride really well on road and still work great off road. A 2.5" MetalCloak lift will work really well off road and still work fine on road. The TeraFlex lift is somewhere between those two. And the Rancho 2" lift is probably the best bargain in lifts, a set of springs and shocks, along with a few extra's, for around the cost of just the springs or just the shocks from most other vendors.
That seems way too thick to be powder coating. But I've never seen something like what the pic shows, it's like the spring has delaminated

·
Registered
654 Posts
"Yeah i definitely low balled myself on lift prices there. Lol."

"Everybody" wants a lift, till they see the actual cost to own or get it done right. Thats why your Jeeps previous owner went cheap. And I get what you mean about the Rancho brands "look" but quality doesnt always follow aesthetics. A lot of times its the opposite.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts