Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a 4-5in lift for my 2008 rubicon 2dr
I've seen , rough country and skyjacker at decent prices for roughly $499 for 4 or 5 Inch kit with shocks. I wanted yalls opinion to whether these are good options and if there is any issues that I will have if I go with either of them. Thanks please advise!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Plus, with 4-5" of lift, you're probably going to want to run 37's, which will mean either no power or regearing. I did a bunch of research around this site, and followed the formula in that "Best JK Lift on WF" thread pretty closely. I ended up spending about $1200 on the lift and corresponding components for a 2.5" lift (netted a bit over 3"). As many people will tell you, you get what you pay for, and paying $500 for a 5" lift may get you the look you want, but I would guess that it's going to severely degrade the ride, handling and offroad capabilities of your Jeep.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's my fear. I want to run at least 35's but love the look of 4-5 in lift. But I also don't want to break the bank. This is my daily driver so need to keep close to factory ride. Also I am going to do it myself in driveway. I appreciate your help! I just want to do it right and look good too!

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
If you are looking at $500 kits, give up on the 4-5 inch now. That high is a bad idea on a 2 door especially to begin with, and will cost thousands to do it correctly. Big Jeeps are a pay to play sport.

A 2.5 lift is plenty for 35s. Look at Teraflex, AEV, Rock Krawler or Metalcloak.

To give you an idea, my lift retailed $2k for all 8 arms and adjustable trackbars. That is just the lift. If your budget is in the hundreds, do a 2.5 puck lift rather than a cheapie spring lift.

Your gearing with the 3.8 is going to be an issue with 35s you realize right?

There is so much more involved in lifting a Jeep than just appearance.

·
Registered
267 Posts
In my opinion a solid 3.5" lift and 35's is the perfect combo of hight, tire size and stock fenders.

My daughter has this set up on her's with 4.10's and the 3.8 in which the gearing / engine combo to me seems perfect to me.

So, you will NOT have to re-gear to run 35's unless your doing a lot of serious rock crawling...etc...

My two cents....

SC

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
In my opinion a solid 3.5" lift and 35's is the perfect combo of hight, tire size and stock fenders.

My daughter has this set up on her's with 4.10's and the 3.8 in which the gearing / engine combo to me seems perfect to me.

So, you will NOT have to re-gear to run 35's unless your doing a lot of serious rock crawling...etc...

My two cents....

SC
That is too much lift for 35s unless you drive a limo and need belly clearance (not an issue for 2 doors).

I would not run 4.10s with 35s on the 3.8 - on the 3.6 it would be liveable tho. For 35s to run at the lowest "good daily driver" range in the 3.6 would take 4.10 (2288 rpm at 70mph). To run lowest "good daily driver" range in the 3.8 would take 5.13 (2380 rpm at 70mph). You will definitely want to regear the 3.8. And realize that it isnt just "does it get me point a to point b" or "well it feels ok to me" ---- you put stress on the engine and transmission running geared too tall. It has nothing to do with rock crawling. To get true rock crawling "performance" gearing on the 3.6 with 35s would be 4.88 (2723 rpm) ----- on the 3.8 you would need 5.86 (2718 rpm).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've got 35"s with 3 1/2 lift with 4.88 gears on the 3.8 engine. No problems here, and couldn't be happier.

This is my daily driver and my weekend fun. Your 4.10 will be fine if you plan on just being your dd. I know plenty of guys that run that with no problems and are completely happy with the performance.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Why is 3 1/2 inches too high for 35's on a 2 dr?
In my opinion ... It's not..not even close with stock fenders. It looks very proportionate and not top heavy.

The 4.10's work great even off road on steep climbs and the intermediate rocky creek bottoms. We have a 5,500 acre ranch that this set up has performed flawlessly with no lack for power or stress on the engine.

...my two cents...

SC

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
In my opinion ... It's not..not even close with stock fenders. It looks very proportionate and not top heavy. The 4.10's work great even off road on steep climbs and the intermediate rocky creek bottoms. We have a 5,500 acre ranch that this set up has performed flawlessly with no lack for power or stress on the engine. ...my two cents... SC
I have a 3 1/2 inch lift on 35's on my 2dr also, I was just curious what others opinions were.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
When you lift a Jeep you affect all kinds of things like geometry and roll center. Higher is not always better - especially if all that is driving the decision is appearance. Especially on 2 doors - they tend to get tippy and top heavy with bigger lifts and bigger tires. All else being equal if we had the exact same rig, same tires and same lift, same exact driver skills, just I was at 2.5 and you were at 3.5 - sheer physics and science has you tipping before I do since I am lower to the ground. With heavier 2 doors once you bolt on tons of sprung weight with bumpers and so on, it becomes even more pronounced. And a higher lift does not raise the lowest part of your Jeep, the differentials. You can put on a 6 inch lift with 35 inch tires and your differentials will be at the exact same place as they will be with a 2.5 inch lift. Suspension lifts only lift stuff above the axle - the only thing that lifts below the axle is bigger tires under them.

2 doors dont need the added belly clearance of bigger lifts like 4 doors do. 2 doors also dont have the weight that 4 doors do. On a 2 door you are fine so long as you clear your tires and have some room to flex.

Also with higher lifts come other issues. Like driveline angles start getting skewed and steep, steering becomes a concern (why folks on higher lifts go high steer and flip the drag link). The other components of your Jeep like driveshafts and steering were not designed to be run at the kind of angles you start seeing the higher you lift and will wear or fail sooner, and not perform as they should.

As far as gearing, I encourage the OP to find someone with a similar rig and tire size who is properly geared - guarantee the difference will be obvious. Do not settle for subpar performance from a rig you spent a crap ton of money just to buy just because "well so and so's daughter likes it". Make your own judgment after experiencing a properly geared rig.

Since the OP originally was asking about a budget brand lift, my recommendation is for them to get some aggressive 33s, do a puck level kit, good shocks, test drive properly geared rigs with the 3.8 to decide if you will regear, and enjoy your Jeep. And realize 35s would only give you ONE INCH OR LESS more clearance than 33s. Every inch comes at a price.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The taller the lift the more important a good design and quality manufacturing come into play. RC and SJ do not offer either.

If you really decide to go with a large lift look at the kits from RockKrawler, Teraflex, MetalCloak and AEV. They are not $500 but they will cost less in the long run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for your input, I am probably like every other blue collar jeep owner and want to make my jk look bad ass. But when looking in mags or on YouTube at the different lifts from all manf on the 2.5-5 in lift it states complete lift and doesn't state anything about driveshafts and or regearing . That's what makes it so attractive to me. I plan on cutting my stock fenders also so I know that will help too, but love the look of a lifted jeep I just can't afford $3000 for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What do you all think of the quadratec maximum duty lift? 3.5 in coil spring kit part. # 16400.0045
It retails for $549.99. Comes with shocks, springs , brackets, hardware , bumpstops, sway bar links, trackbar brackets , cam bolts. Seems like a good kit for the $$$ ?? If I do this lift is it necessary to change driveshafts and gears and all that? I've done a lot of other mods to engine I forgot to mention, so I'm pushing appx 275 hp .

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
What do you all think of the quadratec maximum duty lift? 3.5 in coil spring kit part. # 16400.0045 It retails for $549.99. Comes with shocks, springs , brackets, hardware , bumpstops, sway bar links, trackbar brackets , cam bolts. Seems like a good kit for the $$$ ?? If I do this lift is it necessary to change driveshafts and gears and all that? I've done a lot of other mods to engine I forgot to mention, so I'm pushing appx 275 hp .
I understand and feel your pain of budget. A couple things on your Jeep that shouldn't be done cheaply or half assed are tires and suspension. Both of those have the potential to make your Jeep a miserable experience to drive and own, as well as safety concerns that could be involved. If you don't have the money to do it right either wait or do a cheap spacer lift that doesn't replace your factory suspension but gives you a little height. At 3.5 inches you need a complete lift to do it properly that includes adjustable control arms in my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What about the DayStar 3in spacer kit?? Comes with shocks and hardware. At 3 inches I shouldn't have to change anything else right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts