Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks I don't want to put a lift kit on my jeep so I was wondering if I put 20" rims and bigger tires would I achieve another 2 inches in lift? Also what is the maximum size rims and tires you can put on a jeep? Currently I have 18" rims with P255/70R18.

PS. My 2012 jeep 4 door sahara is stock all the way and for some reason it seems to be slightly higher than half the 4 doors I come across. Only think I could think of is maybe they have 17" rims...

Yes Im a newbie to jeeps...

·
Registered
166 Posts
be prepared to get a lot of negative comments on this one.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
You're not gonna be able to go much bigger on tire size with stock rims, and certainly not with 20's, without a lift of some sort. Max tire size without a lift would be about 33", which may cause some rubbing, though that won't be too much of a concern since it sounds like you're not planning on off-roading at all.

If you get some rubbing on full-lock turns, that can fixed by adding a washer to your steering stops, most likely.

Tires are what give a Jeep ground clearance; beyond a certain point, you have to add a lift to be able to fit larger tires under the Jeep.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cut the new guy some slack! Of course I plan on off roading and have been several times already Black Bear, Cinnamon Pass corkscrew and California Gulch . Ok ok maybe its not about lift for me I just want better tires for off roading on 18's as I might have to reuse my stock 18 rims.

I figured the 20's would stir things up. After looking at some pictures it looks a little funny so I deserve that one *WHACK*

What about Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ or MTZ Radial tires LT305/60 or 70R18

Basically I don't wanna lift kit at least not now just the right tire for off roading. If I'm hearing you right 32's on 18" rims is max with no lift.

That being said this all could change in 6 months LOL can you suggest 2 or 4" lift kits manufactures and tire recommendations for them please.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you don't want to change the suspension, you might still consider a body lift with spacers- you can get an extra 2" that way, but with your current tires, you're already approaching the limit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok Ok... Ill have to wait until next summer but I guess Ill lift her up. I'm looking for something inexpensive but solid (around 500) to lift 3-4 inches. Any ideas? Ive seen this one that comes with scorpion shocks for 499 quadratech.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I'm looking for something inexpensive but solid (around 500) to lift 3-4 inches. Any ideas?
There's no such thing. If you buy a cheap lift, your Jeep will live in the shop. You'll also – more than likely – end up spending much more $$ trying to make it right again.

Go cheap anywhere but tires and lift.

You can clear most 35" tires with a 2.5" lift...good ones are TeraFlex, Rock Crawler, OME. They'll run you $800-$1,200, depending.

For a good 3"+ lift, you'll need to get one with adj track bars, adj control arms, brake line extensions, new sway bar links, a new driveshaft (or, at the least, an exhaust spacer) to clear your exhaust pipe. Could be forgetting something here.

If you wanna run 35" tires, you should strongly consider beefing up your feeble D30 front axle...via a sleeve and gusset job, or a new HD front axle. You'll need a rear bumper/tire carrier that can handle the weight of 35's, or at least a standalone tire carrier such as the OR-FAB or the new TF HD tire carrier. If you've got 3.21 or 3.73 gears, your power in high gear (6th on a manual, OD on an auto) will suffer significantly, to the point where you may not be able to use high gear passing on the highway or going up hills. In short, a granny in an AMC Pacer will toast you. To fix this, you'll need a regear...another $1,500 or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts