Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current setup on my ‘18 is teraflex spacer leveling kit and BFG KO2’s in a 285 75 17. Manual trans with 3:73.

I am torn between doing either the Mopar 2” or AEV 2.5” vs changing the gears to 4:56.

I am not able to do both now.
What would you do?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My current setup on my ‘18 is teraflex spacer leveling kit and BFG KO2’s in a 285 75 17. Manual trans with 3:73.

I am torn between doing either the Mopar 2” or AEV 2.5” vs changing the gears to 4:56.

What would you do?
With a manual trans, you can run slightly higher gears than an automatic because you can keep it in gear going up a hill. I'd go with the lift. Your tires aren't big enough to really cause issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,468 Posts

What would you do?
285/75r17 are only 1/4-1/2" shorter than 35's. Without proper bump stops, you will tear off both front and rear fenders if you flex the suspension.

So yes, lift it first. Either of those will work great, just add caster correction to whichever you choose.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I'm going to say gear it first, only because lifts and other things are cheaper, and easier to do when money is tight. Do the gears now and enjoy the performance. Do the lift in phases in the summer if money is an object.

If money non concern do both.

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
I agree with pressurized. You are already committed by having bigger tires, you should probably lift it if you are going to be taking it off road. Otherwise you may have some issues. Gearing is something that will make a huge difference, but you can do it later. Nothing horrible will happen because you put off re-gearing. Your Jeep will just be slower.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
If you tow, gears.
If you wheel, lift.

Reactions: TWMetcalfe

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Just to be different I am going to say do 1/2 of both.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the opinions.
Because of where I am, my Jeep sees mostly pavement, but I do like the occasional dirt or logging road so I am getting by with a leveling kit.

I think it will ride better with a lift, but it will drive better with gears.

Obviously a lift will look better.

I like the suggestion of doing half each.
I’ll regear the front and lift the right side.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I recommend regearing the rear and lifting the left side, that way every time you remove your front driveshaft you'll still get the added performance /s

1 - 9 of 9 Posts