Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the original owner of a 2003 TJ Sport stock with 30k miles with no upgrades.

I'm interested in off roading now that I'm retired.

Should I upgrade/lift or purchase something newer?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Totally up to you.

Though having it paid off is certainly a plus side to keeping it.

Reactions: ThunderBolt64

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
They are all awesome, but I do think there is something extra special about the TJ variety.
Far less technology to cause headaches while trying to diagnose, repair or replace.

You have a great place to start. So many people would give their first born for a 30k mile, unmolested stock TJ... In my mind, it is a no-brainer to keep the TJ and do what you want for upgrades.

In the end, it is your preference and all about what you want and like.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This may be sacrilege, but if I had a rust free 30k tj, it wouldn't go off road. I would beef it up and drive it in the sun. I would pick up something a little more "seasoned" to beat up off road, but that's just me. Nice get, by the way. It's approaching unicorn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I have loved my TJ from the first day!

Now where to begin...I'll need lots of help.

first off big congrats on retirement, i still have 5 more to go,

we have a 04 that when wife and i bought was like yours in that it had never even seen a dirt road, now 4 years later she has a 3.75 old man emu lift, 33x12.5, tons of minor stuff and we love her to death, BUT, i wish we had left her bone stock because the wife has a bit of trouble getting in now.

and we keep looking for another "unicorn" just for her.

one thing i learned from years of wrenching, spend alot of time in the planning stage and try to match what you want to do with other mods,

depending on how hard you want to offroad i might opt to find a older rougher cj or even yj to play with.

but i would not buy newer, we have 2-3 firends here in oklahoma that sold their tj's and bought jk's and are cussing hard.

nothing against the newer 07-up jeeps or their capabilities, but the older ones are mechanical and much less expensive and much easier to repair, and if you gonna wheel your gonna break stuff, its all part of the game

Troy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Troy, your TJ looks awesome!

I'm also worried about getting in and out for us as well.

I see you have a CB antenna on the tail light, how well does it work and what radio do you have?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Troy, your TJ looks awesome!

I'm also worried about getting in and out for us as well.

I see you have a CB antenna on the tail light, how well does it work and what radio do you have?

thanks and on the antenna mount i think i got it from quadratec but im not sure, the biggest reason i put it on was looks plus noaa weather. and this is where i say spend alot of time planning mods to go with other mods. i have actually pulled the cb out and went with a portable hand held one. i still love the looks but i grewup with smokey and the bandit and a time when everyone had a cb, its not so much that way now. i will leave the antenna for looks, and when you get one get the strong spring, the medium one will bend in the wind quite a bit.

i have made a lot of choices i kinda regret becuase i wound up changing my mind midstream, im sure ill get yelled at but one thing i wish i had done different is wheel size, i went with 15 x 10's and 33x12.5 tires, looks great, works great offroad, they are a bit wide for a daily driver and i wish i had went with a 8 in rim and ran 33x10.5's for hiway use.

im not trying to talk you out of wheeling or modding your jeep, god knows i love it, but think about bent fenders scratched paint, ripped top, shit happens off road,

you have a damn fine jeep, dont ever get rid of her, and if you decide to wheel awesome, but realize tj's like your are getting rare.

if i could go back i would have just done a set of more aggressive tires and bumpers to make the wife happy, and found a older cj or such to really play with.

remember jeep stands for just empty every pocket, its great thing. i never thought i find a hobby that was more expensive as Harleys but a jeep is :)

where in the world are you, we are in north oklahoma currently but fixing to move down to SW Oklahoma

Troy

·
Registered
12 Posts
im jealous of the property, and very nice shop. one of the reasons we are moving is i took a lateral move to give me 5 years and retire, and will be looking for our last house and the shop i have always wanted.

is the house a log cabin kit?? or just rough wood siding

Troy

·
Registered
129 Posts
This may be sacrilege, but if I had a rust free 30k tj, it wouldn't go off road. I would beef it up and drive it in the sun. I would pick up something a little more "seasoned" to beat up off road, but that's just me. Nice get, by the way. It's approaching unicorn.
I agree, since it has such low mileage, all stock and original owner I'd keep it just as it is, it will probably be worth more that way, and find a second one to offroad with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts