Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new guy posting some dumb questions probably. But I have a 12 JKU and eventually want to put 33"s and a 2 1/2" lift on it. Probably will only be able to do one at a time (E-3 in the military only makes so much). Which would you guys suggest getting first? I have no idea which type I want of each if that helps make a decision at all. Also, if I get either the lift or the tires, would I just order the stuff and have a shop put them on? The ship I work on has some tools, but probably not the right ones. Sorry lot of questions at once, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm in the same "boat" as you are. I'm shipping out next month for the Airforce , and will be a E3 as well (cant wait to get out of boot camp). So i know how you are feeling with the money situation. I also just bought a 12 JKU, and from what iv read and learned on the forums I think I will buy rims and tires first. With 15 or 17 inch rims and 33"s they say you still have no trouble with rubbing, so I would like to see how high my jeep will be sitting before I do a lift. Then judge how high (if any) I wont to go on the lift.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If you don't know what type of wheeling you will be doing, it's really not worth it either way. If you really do need a lift, then get the lift first, since the stock tires will do more than fine, and if you do wheeling that needs a lift, you won't really be able to fit the proper size tires on without a lift anyways. If it's just for looks, get the tires first, since it won't matter, and then you're free to decide how much taller you want it after you get the tires you like.

Myself, I went with a 2" lift first, went wheeling, swapped to a 4" lift, and when I get the funds, I'll slap on some 37's. Rubber is too expensive to have to replace (as opposed to a lift, where coils and shocks are pretty cheap, and parts like adjustable control arms and track bars can be re-used), so I don't mind having a 4" lift with some rubicon take-offs, because they're perfectly capable for wheeling, even if it does look a bit silly

·
Registered
504 Posts
Upgrading your springs/shocks will most likely give you the lift you want. You may decide you want bigger tires after you have the lift installed, so why buy tires twice?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest from the reading I've done, and what I plan on doing with the Jeep, I honestly don't think that I'll be needing anything more then a 2 1/2 lift and 33 tires.

·
Registered
504 Posts
To be honest from the reading I've done, and what I plan on doing with the Jeep, I honestly don't think that I'll be needing anything more then a 2 1/2 lift and 33 tires.

You can actually run 33" without a lift with proper backspacing, etc.
If you upgrade your springs to 19 front and 60 rear and uprgade your shocks, you'll most likely get 2" of lift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts