Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my mechanic has the rear done on my TJ (2" BDS springs and shocks) and the rear axle is moved to the right about an 1" or so to the right. The front is not installed yet.

·
Registered
376 Posts
yea, like said above, a bracket to relocate the stock bar would work, or get an adjustable bar and bracket. When I installed my 2" OME lift I didn't have the bracket at first, so I just drove it around with the axle slightly out of place. It was about a 1/2 inch to the right.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this a common problem???

Anyone know where I should order an adjustible bar and bracket from?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Is this a common problem???

Anyone know where I should order an adjustible bar and bracket from?
it's as common as geometry.

get the OME bracket from Quadratec - www.quadratec.com

if you put an adjustable in the stock bracket it will bind under droop (also a common problem due to geometry).

make sure you have enough rear bumpstop extension. the OME bracket needs 1.25" rear bumpstop extension, otherwise the bracket hits the underside of the tub (geometry here again too).

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Thanks but! I was hoping you would reply. Is this what I need?

Old Man Emu FKWTJ02 - Old Man Emu Track Bar Relocation Bracket for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

I am running with stock bumstop extensions as the the BDS shocks are sized perfectly for the springs.
that'll do it. you'll still need 1.25" of rear bumpstop, otherwise the bracket is going to hit the underside of tub.

Jks adjustable rear track bar
binds on the stock closed top bracket and causes it to bend...

ran like this for a few years and my stock bracket is now bent up...have since thrown the JKS into the trash, welded on the OME bracket with some reinforcement, and fabricated my own rear track bar....by using the stocker, heating it up with an oxy-acet torch and bending it into the correct position to fit.

Currie now has an adjustable rear track bar thats supposed to address many of the clearance issues with low lifts. Had that been around when I needed it, I would have bought that. That's what I'd recommend if you want to buy something adjustable...get it from Savvy Off-Road.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I think I am starting to understand this. As the Jeep lifts up, it makes total sense that the axle is going to swing one way. If you lowered it, it would swing the other way. Right now, the axle is goign to the right. Once the front get's lifted, it might swing back a little to center.

So, here is what I am trying to figure out. At what point is where you want it to be centered? Once the correct right height is established, it would seem to make sense to set that axle right then. But, won't the axle move right and left as the suspension loads and unloads?

Will I not see the same thing in the front thus requiring TWO relocation brackets?

Also, when using these, should they be welded, or bolted?

As of now, I am going to make sure the entire lift gets installed and see how the geometry looks and go from there.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Once the front get's lifted, it might swing back a little to center.
not even close.

the front will be off-center too, just in the opposite direction, since the track bars mount opposite of each other.

So, here is what I am trying to figure out. At what point is where you want it to be centered? Once the correct right height is established, it would seem to make sense to set that axle right then. But, won't the axle move right and left as the suspension loads and unloads?
you want the axle centered at ride height, and at 2" of lift, thats only if you really care a lot, or if the tire is rubbing on the rear spring perch.

Will I not see the same thing in the front thus requiring TWO relocation brackets?
there is no relocation bracket for the front.

Also, when using these, should they be welded, or bolted?
in the rear, the bracket can be bolted on. I'd prefer to bolt it on tight - then weld it on. Loose brackets will cause major issues in the rear.

in the front, you weld a 1/8" or 3/16" plate over the stock bracket, then drill a new hole to center the axle. write-up on that here. inevitably, somebody is going to suggest an adjustable front track bar to you. for just 2" of lift, don't do it. with diff cover vs track bar clearance problems, you'll end up worse than you are now. Read here for info on that.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help! You are a wealth of knowledge.

Ultimately, I have to weigh-in everything and do what is right for my situation and how I use the Jeep.

I spoke to a local Jeep specialty shop and they indicated that 95% of the 2" lifts they install do not warrant relocating the track bar. Technically, it is the correct thing to do....to get it perfectly centered, but that most people with a 2" lift or less, generally don't want to go the extra mile.

They recommend driving it as is....seeing how it goes and then deciding. The rear is moved about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch over. I will measure and may move back 1/8 or a 1/4. They also recommended an adjustible track bar if I want to be particular as I have a hard top, but run in the summer with doors and top off.

I know you may not agree, but i don't see the harm in waiting a bit and then I can decide.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok...I still have not seen the Jeep in person yet, but let me know what you think of these photos. Wondering if I need to change my game plan. The tire looks like it is nearly rubbing.

Is this an acceptible amount of deviation?

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts