Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been considering a lift. I've started shopping around and I've landed on this one. https://www.quadratec.com/products/16117_191_07.htm

It's a 4" lift from Skyjacker. I noticed it's considerably cheaper than others and it says "Economy" but I wonder if it's a decent kit. I just don't know enough about them. Would it be a good kit that's gonna last awhile? Are there equally good kits available cheaper? Does this have everything I need for a proper installation?

Thanks for the info. I don't need anything crazy. I won't be doing any extreme offroading. But I live on a farm and will be out in the fields and up and down muddy rutt filled driveways etc.... Plus I wanna give it a more aggressive look. :punk:

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Just because you won't be offroading doesn't mean you don't need a quality lift. A good suspension will perform good on and off road. My personal experience with SkyCrapper is mainly with their shocks that came with a BB that I used to have. They were junk. I can say that the kit in your link is a bad design for a suspension because of the control arms that are limiting. Your stock parts will flex more than they will without transferring all that torque to your control arm brackets. Also,the drop pitman arm is NOT needed.

If you want to slap something on under a budget, the Zone would be a decent option. However, I would use the combo lift (3" suspension, 1.25" body lift, 1" motor mount lift). This will reduce the amount that you'll have to lower your transfer case skid sans SYE/CV driveshaft.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
You will not find too rave reviews for skyjacker lifts. Problems long term include sagging springs,rust, and poor ride quality. I find those cheap Hydros shocks in those lifts very rough riding. Like others have stated, go with zone or BDS. Do you really need a 4" lift versus a 2" ? You will find less headaches and cost with a 2" that can perform for what you are using it for.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will not find too rave reviews for skyjacker lifts. Problems long term include sagging springs,rust, and poor ride quality. I find those cheap Hydros shocks in those lifts very rough riding. Like others have stated, go with zone or BDS. Do you really need a 4" lift versus a 2" ? You will find less headaches and cost with a 2" that can perform for what you are using it for.
I want to run 35's and no smaller than 33's. Dunno if I could get by on a 2" lift or not. I don't have enough experience with Jeeps. Could I get by with just a 2" lift?

Also, is Zone a manufacturer or the name of the kit itself?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I want to run 35's and no smaller than 33's. Dunno if I could get by on a 2" lift or not. I don't have enough experience with Jeeps. Could I get by with just a 2" lift?

To properly run 35s your are talking at least 5k in upgrade parts. You'll need SYE/CV driveshaft, a regear, upgraded brakes and steering in addition to the lift(s) and possibly new fenders or highline.

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
You can run a 2.5" lift and 1.25" body lift and get away with 33s.

You will also want to do a 1" motor mount lift to keep everything under the hood lined up correctly.

This is actually a very common set-up.

...and I wouldn't buy Skyjacker but that's personal preference.

I guess it's also worth noting that you will still need to do some upgrades depending on how complete the lift is you plan on purchasing.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Zone offroad or BDS suspension are the manufacturer names. Both makes good lifts. Like others have suggested, go with a 2" lift and add a 1.25" BL to fit the 33's.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want to slap something on under a budget, the Zone would be a decent option. However, I would use the combo lift (3" suspension, 1.25" body lift, 1" motor mount lift). This will reduce the amount that you'll have to lower your transfer case skid sans SYE/CV driveshaft.
So, if I wanted to go this route, what would be some good recommendations for each part of the lift process? Should I stick with one brand or different brands for each section?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
So, if I wanted to go this route, what would be some good recommendations for each part of the lift process? Should I stick with one brand or different brands for each section?
I'm a fan of franken lifts. Mix and match. IMO, the weak part of the 4.25" combo lift is the shocks. I haven't heard much of sagging springs, but they are relatively new so the jury is still out. They have already outlasted Rustys and Rough Country though.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Stout6 said:

Zone is the brand

1 - 11 of 11 Posts