Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am thinking of putting a lift on my Jeep. Should I get a 2 in, 3 in, or 4 in? Also, about how much should I expect to spend? I want to make sure I have ALL the information before I do it.

Thanks!:D

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
It really depends upon what you want to do with it. I built for basic wheeling and to have the ability to drive it to work once a week or so (70 miles round trip).

So I went with the Rubicon Express 2-1/2" standard duty kit. Includes all the parts and shocks. I did change out to braided brake line extensions (didn't like theirs). Both 4 wheel parts and Quadratec have the kit for $605 right now.
I put 31x10.50x15's on Crager 252's and like the look.

This set up works for me. I didn't want to spend the additional $$ for the SYE, drivelines, and 33's. Maybe one of these days.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
You can get a 4" lift by Rough Country for about $500.00. It is a very complete kit, with easy directions to follow. It can be done in one day, especially if you have some help. It is the most bang for the buck. You will be able to put 33" tires on your Jeep very easily after that. I wouldn't waste my time or money on anything less than a 4" lift. The steering stabilizer is extra, but well worth it.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
yea...i've also heard that the rough country 4 inch is the most complete for the money...best bang for the buck...and you can clear 33's, maybe even a little bigger and it is only $500...only complaints i've heard about the kit is that it rides a little rough which i personally don't mind and this can be fixed with new shocks anyway

·
Registered
466 Posts
i have come to live my rough country since its done i know ive said it on here many times and yer all sick of hearing about it :p and i dont mind the rough ride i kinda of prefer it honestly, helps clean off the mud!! but also if you want to go with 33;s look for package deals because you will need a different backspacing with the 33;s like for instince(SP?) my 31x1050 rubbed when i turn got a lift and new rims and my 33x13.50 dont rub

·
Registered
51 Posts
I too have been looking at the Rough Country kit...Do you need the SYE for that? I thought anything over 2.5" could cause problems...or does the t-case drop take care of it? I will have a lot of road use (weekends, camping, etc) with only medium duty wheeling, so I'm thinking 4" lift with 32's...Seems like a good fit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
466 Posts
tcase drop has worked for me so far havent noticed any real clearance issues either

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
jchapman34 said:
I too have been looking at the Rough Country kit...Do you need the SYE for that? I thought anything over 2.5" could cause problems...or does the t-case drop take care of it? I will have a lot of road use (weekends, camping, etc) with only medium duty wheeling, so I'm thinking 4" lift with 32's...Seems like a good fit.

Thanks!
The Rough Country 4" lift kit comes with a skid plate drop piece. The majority of Jeeps will have no problems with this lift. You should not have any bad vibes from this kit. Once in a great while, it is necessary to add the SYE kit, but highly unlikely. This is the same kit I put on our Rubicon, and because of the CV style rear driveshaft, I did not have to drop my skid plate. I am very happy with this lift.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Every one I've talked to before I bought my lift warnede that at 4" you were going to need the SYE for a YJ. I guess if you're going to drive a cream-puff down the freeway then you won't have a problem, but if you start to exercise that rear suspension, I'd hate to be sitting in the dirt somewhere with a driveline on the ground because I saved a few hundred for the SYE and driveline.

Not my idea of fun!

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
whiteyj said:
Every one I've talked to before I bought my lift warnede that at 4" you were going to need the SYE for a YJ. I guess if you're going to drive a cream-puff down the freeway then you won't have a problem, but if you start to exercise that rear suspension, I'd hate to be sitting in the dirt somewhere with a driveline on the ground because I saved a few hundred for the SYE and driveline.

Not my idea of fun!
I am in total agreement with White here. A wheelin pardner of mine had a YJ with a 4" lift on it. In the year he owned it before he went to the TJ we replaced 3 sets of Ujoints on the rear driveshaft and I had to two him home once because the shaft came off the slip yoke and hosed it up. If you are wheelin a 4" lift on a YJ odds are you will start having driveline issues.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Stay away from ProComp.
That was my 1st Kit...big mistake. Extremly stiff.
I have since installed RE springs. I wish I had spent the extra money and went that way from the start.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
DesertYJ said:
Stay away from ProComp.
That was my 1st Kit...big mistake. Extremly stiff.
I have since installed RE springs. I wish I had spent the extra money and went that way from the start.
X2 on this. That was the kit my friend in the above post was using. Felt like you were riding a big wheel down stairs. :D (and I do know that from experience) :D

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Do it right the first time. Get the best kit on the market. I too bought the Rough Country kit and have not been completely satisfied with it since. The ride is rough and the springs don't flex much. I would save my pennies and go with Rubicon Express. The Rough Country lift will get the job done, but there are better options out there. Once you start modifying your Jeep you can't stop so you should get the right parts the first time so you can get more parts instead of replacing the parts you cheaped out on the first time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
does anybody have the warrior 4 inch lift. im looking into getting this lift and i havent heard of anybody using it, and was wondering how it rides and if it is worth the money.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i am running a bds 4 inch lift with 1.25 inch lift shackles for a total of about 5.25 inches lift with 33's i run a tcase drop in mine and have no vibes and i do wheel it and bds has a no questions guarantee if you break it they replace it free for the life of your jeep

·
Registered
76 Posts
t is the Question

JeepMouse said:
Hello all!

I am thinking of putting a lift on my Jeep. Should I get a 2 in, 3 in, or 4 in? Also, about how much should I expect to spend? I want to make sure I have ALL the information before I do it.

Thanks!:D
Here is one thing you need to figure. The rear drive shaft slip yoke, that plugs into the t/case is very short. (5") (You may have a diffent set up.) If you raise the body up off the frame, You will cause the slip yoke to pull away from the t/case. Depending on how high you raise the body, you may have to get the drive shaft extended.

·
Registered
119 Posts
amara8 said:
Here is one thing you need to figure. The rear drive shaft slip yoke, that plugs into the t/case is very short. (5") (You may have a diffent set up.) If you raise the body up off the frame, You will cause the slip yoke to pull away from the t/case. Depending on how high you raise the body, you may have to get the drive shaft extended.
that is only true for suspension lift body lift does not affect your driveline

1 - 20 of 20 Posts