Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my first jeep had a lift on it when I got it, about 2". I always wanted a bit more though. I mainly use my new '16 JKU for a daily driver but always love going off-road when I get the chance. Any suggestions as far as what lift to get? I don't want to sacrifice too much on-road but love the idea of a 3 or 3.5" lift. Also what's "the line" between being cost effective and still paying for a good lift? Any ideas would help a lot. Sorry, I'm pretty new here.

·
Registered
336 Posts
So my first jeep had a lift on it when I got it, about 2". I always wanted a bit more though. I mainly use my new '16 JKU for a daily driver but always love going off-road when I get the chance. Any suggestions as far as what lift to get? I don't want to sacrifice too much on-road but love the idea of a 3 or 3.5" lift. Also what's "the line" between being cost effective and still paying for a good lift? Any ideas would help a lot. Sorry, I'm pretty new here.
Metal Cloak , Mopar Lift, or AEV should be your best bets for great value for price.

Reactions: mrcarcrazy

·
Registered
166 Posts
A lot of questions that will get answered by a lot of person experiences. Some will swear by one brand others will swear by another. Same with cost effective. Some here, such as myself, would think not much is cost effective. Others have bigger hobby accounts and will easily tell you what they think is cost effective. Again, you have to set your limits and get a clear idea of what you want.

My suggestion to you is to nail down what "......don't want to sacrifice too much on-road but....." exactly means in your mind.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Rock Krawler is the ideal IMHO - quality for decent price and upgradable.

That being said - lift isn't ALWAYS a good idea. Usually what you actually want is the minimum height necessary to accommodate your tire size. Having a higher center of gravity is an issue to consider when deciding on lift.

Reactions: d.kais05

·
Registered
295 Posts
The JKUs that I have seen around here with the 2" Mopar lift have looked pretty sweet and it seems closer to an actual 3" lift.

Reactions: d.kais05

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Research, read until you're blue in the face. Decide which opinions you value more than others. Then take a leap.

There are a few ways to skin this cat. My big suggestion is to buy a complete setup...don't 1/2 Ass a lift.

As stated above. You can offroad a bone stock JK. So you don't "need" a lift. Unless you do it like I did. Get a "deal you can't refuse" on some tires that are too big for stock height. Then you say "damnit, now I NEED a lift".

Drive it stock and see what you like/dislike. Go from there.

Best of luck. Oh and research, even after you think you know what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I might hold off on a lift for now and see if stock can handle what I do. You guys rock!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts