Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Wrangler X. I Am wanting to run a 33" tire, poss a 35" later. My local 4x4 shop tells me that I need a 4" lift to be able to run a 35". Not to mention they are trying to hook me up with the 4" Rough Country X-series lift. Is anyone familiar w/ this brand or this particular lift? I see some other companys stating any where from a 2" to a 3.5" lift will work for a 35" tire. I would like to keep the lift to a minimal to keep my center of gravity a little lower and to keep from having to make a lot of modifications. But at the same time wanting to have some what more articulation. Not much on boulder climbing, but hills , holes, MUD and such.. could anyone suggest some other options maybe? I have done a little bit of reading on this lift and have heard more cons than pro's... 2* what or if any difference is there between regearing for the larger tire or using the electronic programmer for the computer system in the JK. I know there are some tricks out there that help a lot, and I'm open for any and all suggestions!!!!!
Thanks for any Info you might pass along to a fellow Heeled!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I have a 2007 Wrangler X. I Am wanting to run a 33" tire, poss a 35" later. My local 4x4 shop tells me that I need a 4" lift to be able to run a 35". Not to mention they are trying to hook me up with the 4" Rough Country X-series lift. Is anyone familiar w/ this brand or this particular lift? I see some other companys stating any where from a 2" to a 3.5" lift will work for a 35" tire. I would like to keep the lift to a minimal to keep my center of gravity a little lower and to keep from having to make a lot of modifications. But at the same time wanting to have some what more articulation. Not much on boulder climbing, but hills , holes, MUD and such.. could anyone suggest some other options maybe? I have done a little bit of reading on this lift and have heard more cons than pro's... 2* what or if any difference is there between regearing for the larger tire or using the electronic programmer for the computer system in the JK. I know there are some tricks out there that help a lot, and I'm open for any and all suggestions!!!!!
Thanks for any Info you might pass along to a fellow Heeled!
Your local 4x4 shop's full of it.

You can run 35" tires with a 2.5" lift. Both TeraFlex and Rock Krawler make good ones. Get the version with the new shocks, or substitute some Bilstein 5100's for the shocks that come with those kits.

I've read some bad reviews on the Rough Country lifts, particularly the springs, which have a tendency to sag. Shy away, would be my advice.

I'd recommend going with 33" tires initially. 35's will kill your Jeep's power in higher gears, as well as your mpg's. Tuners such as the Superchips help some, but are no substitute for regearing. If you run 35's with an '07 you're gonna want to regear to 5.13's, and possibly 5.38's, simply to be able to use high gear for passing on the freeway and for going up hills at speed.

A regear from a reputable shop with experience will run you an average of about $1500. Better to save till you can get the regear and the 35's all in one fell swoop, IMO.

15" rims and 33" tires will cost you less than buying tires alone for, say, 17" rims. However, if you really anticipate going to 35's in the future, you may wanna spend a little extra $$ now, and opt for 16" rims. You'll have a wider selection of 35" tires to choose from in the future.

Think that covers it. Good luck. :thumb:

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
^^^^^ Exactly this ^^^^^ :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts