Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously I'm new to this forum and I had a few questions.

I don't know much about suspension/body lifts and I would like to get some general answers. I want to lift my jeep eventually but I want to learn a lot more about it before I decide to do such.

I have had friends/family with lifts and some at higher speeds the car would "wobble".

What causes this?
Is it preventable?
What is the preferred types of lifts?
Can I do it myself? If so level of difficulty.

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Obviously I'm new to this forum and I had a few questions.

I don't know much about suspension/body lifts and I would like to get some general answers. I want to lift my jeep eventually but I want to learn a lot more about it before I decide to do such.

I have had friends/family with lifts and some at higher speeds the car would "wobble".

What causes this?
Is it preventable?
What is the preferred types of lifts?
Can I do it myself? If so level of difficulty.

Thanks
It's all about the quality of the lift. Also, the higher you go, the more problems your going to run into. When you lift your jeep, your steering geometry will be off and you will have to change your trackbars and various other things. IMO it's best to find an all-inclusive kit(brake lines, track bars, control arms, draglink flip, coils, shocks, and sway-bar disconnects) and have it professionally done. If you have no experience, this shouldn't be your first DIY project. Your questions are pretty broad, if you have more specific questions I know theres plenty of guys on here that can tell you everything you need to know. Hope this is helpful
The above depends on the height of your lift, if you don't go higher than 2" then most of it doesn't apply.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's all about the quality of the lift. Also, the higher you go, the more problems your going to run into. When you lift your jeep, your steering geometry will be off and you will have to change your trackbars and various other things. IMO it's best to find an all-inclusive kit(brake lines, track bars, control arms, draglink flip, coils, shocks, and sway-bar disconnects) and have it professionally done. If you have no experience, this shouldn't be your first DIY project. Your questions are pretty broad, if you have more specific questions I know theres plenty of guys on here that can tell you everything you need to know. Hope this is helpful
The above depends on the height of your lift, if you don't go higher than 2" then most of it doesn't apply.

Right on thanks for the reply.

I guess I'll have it professionally done, I just would like to know more about it. I just don't want to look at a mechanic and point and grunt out "Please make higher" and expect that it will be done correctly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Right on thanks for the reply.

I guess I'll have it professionally done, I just would like to know more about it. I just don't want to look at a mechanic and point and grunt out "Please make higher" and expect that it will be done correctly.
I'm not trying to scare you out of doing it yourself, just wouldn't jump into it right away. There's tons of videos and write-ups on lift installations that you could find on here. Jut read the write ups and other threads, then when you have a specific question you can post them on here like, "What size lift would you recommend with 33" tires" or "At what size lift do I need to relocate my trackbars" or"Is it worth it to get a long arm kit." People will have plenty of opinions on these topics that they would love to share. Just asking about lift kits in general on here is like asking for someone to teach you an entire college course lol.I've done my build by myself but wasted way too much time and money that could have been saved if I had a better idea of what I was doin. If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to help

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
best bet is for you to use the "search this forum" in the upper right of the JK forum and type in the specific things about lifts you're looking for opinions on.

you'll find a lot of good information out there from the group. there are a few that have actual experiences on the trail. i'm sure a lot do... but i'm more confident in some opinions than others.

there are some basic questions you have to ask... why are you lifting your rig, for looks or are you going to wheel it; what size tires do you want to run; how much money do you want to spend.

those pieces of information help out a lot. as for the shimmy or wobble. i've been very lucky with my lift 4" BDS short arm lift with 35" tires... i also have 1.5" spacer on the front shock for the winch...

some lifts are very easy to do your self. new springs, shocks, and a spacer... easy stuff. adjustable control arms and stuff... yeah you might want to invite some buddies who know what they're doing.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
read, Read, READ!!! (and then read some more).

Doing so will allow you to ask more specific questions; which, in turn, will get you much better answers...

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would look into what size tires you want to run first then lift so you will have clearance for the new tires. Lifting will do exactly nothing for you over the factory suspension except give you some belly clearance and slightly better approach and decent angles. Longer travel shock will give you a bit more droop and trimmed or flat fenders will give you more room for up travel in your suspension.

If you are just doing it for the look then just throw on a rough county 6" lift and deal with the shitty ride. I will be no help to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts